Billing a IP based video conference call

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

Hello
i am looking for some basic information or pointers to the information
regarding the methods used by the video conferecing provider who are
inturn an ISP too, are using for Billing the subscriber's conference
calls .... and issues that can cause problems while doing the same

is there any standard format for CDR or CDR varies from one vendor's
product to the other one, is the same applicable to both H323 and SIP
based solutions or the CDR differs in both the cases

what are the minimal attributes which needs to be there in the CDR
generated by the video conferencing system ? what are the name of
those attributes ...... incase they are standardized

regards
dprashant
3 answers Last reply
More about billing based video conference call
  1. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

    "Prashant Desai" <qmailindia@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello
    > i am looking for some basic information or pointers to the information
    > regarding the methods used by the video conferecing provider who are
    > inturn an ISP too, are using for Billing the subscriber's conference
    > calls .... and issues that can cause problems while doing the same
    >
    > is there any standard format for CDR or CDR varies from one vendor's
    > product to the other one, is the same applicable to both H323 and SIP
    > based solutions or the CDR differs in both the cases
    >
    > what are the minimal attributes which needs to be there in the CDR
    > generated by the video conferencing system ? what are the name of
    > those attributes ...... incase they are standardized

    In a H.323 network the CDR function is normally provided by a Gatekeeper
    such as the Radvision ECS. What information it captures is faiirly product
    dependant AFAIK, what information you need is dependant on how you want to
    bill your customers:
    - all costs to one company/site
    - cost allocated to the intitating site
    - cost split across participants etc

    Really this an R&D project more than a question imho, i suggest you start by
    searching google for something like the videconferencing cook book which may
    or may not be of help.

    Oh note that some Network Service Providers (NSPs) have started to
    intergrate CDR reporting into their portals.

    > regards
    > dprashant

    -=-peas-=-
  2. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

    thanks a lot for all the info ..... H323 stuff is pretty clear now ......
    kinbdly let me know what about the case when the product uses SIP ?

    regards
    prashant

    "-=-peas-=-" <reply-to-newsgroup@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:<cftueo$eio$1$830fa7a5@news.demon.co.uk>...
    > "Prashant Desai" <qmailindia@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello
    > > i am looking for some basic information or pointers to the information
    > > regarding the methods used by the video conferecing provider who are
    > > inturn an ISP too, are using for Billing the subscriber's conference
    > > calls .... and issues that can cause problems while doing the same
    > >
    > > is there any standard format for CDR or CDR varies from one vendor's
    > > product to the other one, is the same applicable to both H323 and SIP
    > > based solutions or the CDR differs in both the cases
    > >
    > > what are the minimal attributes which needs to be there in the CDR
    > > generated by the video conferencing system ? what are the name of
    > > those attributes ...... incase they are standardized
    >
    > In a H.323 network the CDR function is normally provided by a Gatekeeper
    > such as the Radvision ECS. What information it captures is faiirly product
    > dependant AFAIK, what information you need is dependant on how you want to
    > bill your customers:
    > - all costs to one company/site
    > - cost allocated to the intitating site
    > - cost split across participants etc
    >
    > Really this an R&D project more than a question imho, i suggest you start by
    > searching google for something like the videconferencing cook book which may
    > or may not be of help.
    >
    > Oh note that some Network Service Providers (NSPs) have started to
    > intergrate CDR reporting into their portals.
    >
    > > regards
    > > dprashant
    >
    > -=-peas-=-
  3. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

    > thanks a lot for all the info ..... H323 stuff is pretty clear now ......

    Np, glad i could help

    > kinbdly let me know what about the case when the product uses SIP ?

    Well i know less about SIP but AFAIK CDR functionality exists within alot of
    SIP products, specficially the soft PBXs'.

    As i said before this is a research project and i recommend you try google
    now :)

    > regards
    > prashant

    -=-peas-=-

LAN Internet Service Providers Video Networking