Solved

Installing programs on 64-bit computer intended only for 32-bit

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Configuration
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
May 10, 2011 5:43:18 PM

Is there a program or configuration tool that can make it possible to install a 32-bit program on my 64-bit computer? I wanted to install either the free Spyshelter or Dataguard, both antikeylogger programs, but the free versions do not support 64 bits.

ricochet_16

More about : installing programs bit computer intended bit

a b $ Windows 7
May 10, 2011 6:11:34 PM

32-bit software runs on 64-bit o/s without any changes, unless your software installs its own low level driver which will mean a 64-bit version.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 10, 2011 6:13:38 PM

If you really feel the need for either programme, just go ahead an install it. Your 64 bit W7 system comes complete with two Programme Files folders - one for 64 bit and the other for 32 bit and is named Programme Files X86. Even though a programme may not specifically say it will work in a 64 bit system, it almost invariably will.

m
l
May 10, 2011 6:47:32 PM

I just bought my Dell Win 7 64-bit computer last Dec, and paid the Geek Squad to set it up for me (download the drivers, etc), so I don't know exactly how they did it.

When I tried to open the setup file for Dataguard from NexGen I got a popup message: "NexGen AntiKeylogger setup has detected that you are using 64 Windows version. Unfortunately, 64 bit Windows versions are not supported". Then I clicked "OK" and the message disappeared without opening the setup file. The same thing happened when I tried to open the SpyShelter setup file.

They do have the paid versions that are compatible with 64 bits, but I wanted to try the free versions first. I was able to open both program files on my other computer, a Windows XP, but decided I did not need two antikeylogger programs running at the same time, and therefore uninstalled the Dataguard program.

ricochet_16

m
l
May 10, 2011 9:57:44 PM

Just an added note. I found a Beta version of Spyshelter Premium to download. It works with 64 bit Windows. So far it is doing a good job of blocking access attempts of a lot of my good programs, and I am getting popups to remind me that it is not free and that when the trial ends I would be expected to purchase the program. I am still looking for a free antikeylogger program that works for 64 bits, or a way to fix my computer so I can open 32 bit setup files. I have an idea that some component is missing on my computer.

ricochet_16
m
l
May 10, 2011 10:12:00 PM

Why so insistent on keylogger programs? Get a safe and secure web browser and keep it up to date. Generally key loggers seldom come alone and are often in the package of a trojan so those spy and ad programs are utterly useless.

The program itself should be able to run on 32bit. AMD introduced AMD64 (64bit) with the compatibility to run all programs on 32bit x86. As was stated above, the 32bit programs are installed in Program Files x86 folder.

The best protection from viruses and malicious software is being smart about what you visit, which browser you use and what you're installing. If you're really insistent on security then just install linux.
m
l
May 10, 2011 10:50:08 PM

I have heard Linux is a good system. My new computer has Intel Pentium. I don't believe is has AMD that was included in my HP XP computer.

Under Program Files in the x86 file, I noticed several files listed. So, do you think the software developers, themselves, designed those programs to prevent the installatioin of their free software and require the user to purchase their products, or am I just missing some component(s)?

I have also come to the conclusion that I don't need any antikeylogger software, with all of the other security software installed.

ricochet_16
m
l
May 10, 2011 10:56:27 PM

Ricochet_16 said:
So, do you think the software developers, themselves, designed those programs to prevent the installatioin of their free software and require the user to purchase their products, or am I just missing some component(s)?

ricochet_16

In this case, I think that scenario is very likely.
m
l

Best solution

May 10, 2011 10:59:08 PM

Don't use geek squad or smilar tech support group. They are common source of privacy violation.

W7 has an XP Mode to run 32 bit software. That is for ultimate version only.

Go Dual Boot ....
If you really need that 32 bit software/application mount another partition/OS just for XP. Then you can run 32 bit software of your liking. Other than that you can flip back to W7 64 bit OS.
May 10, 2011 11:04:07 PM

The best security measure you can take is having a firewall. Windows itself has one but if you're connected to a router (and not on a DMZ) then you're fine.

AMD64 is 64bit, same thing. The fact that you have a separate x86 folder means you're on a 64bit CPU + 64bit windows.

Linux is great, but may be a little tough for you to install and manage. If you can install your own drivers and format/partition a hard drive and install windows then you can try to give it a go.

Something like www.ubuntu.com where there's tons of support and people to help may be a good start. You can set up a dual boot system where you opt to boot into windows or linux at startup in case you have some windows only programs you need (games, photoshop, etc). If you're paranoid about security then linux > windws and any antivirus program / firewall.

EDIT: to the above, you don't need to dual boot a 32bit OS. AMD64 (64bit for both intel and AMD processors) was coded so its backwards compatible. In fact you can run your 32bit programs without the need to use windows 7 ultimate. You can do it on the home 64bit version just fine.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 11, 2011 7:07:56 AM

+1 to Pelov's comments on Linux and just to add, you can run Ubuntu as a LiveCD to see if you like it or not. My version has 32 bit on one side of a DVD disk and 64 bit on the other.

You haven't said why you fear keyloggers so much but the first sign of the presence of one is the system slowing to a crawl. Have you offended someone down in Langley, MI5 or maybe (though doubtful) Pakistani Intelligence? :D 

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 11, 2011 2:27:28 PM

If you really want it safe, run a linux in a VM that you use to browse with. Can't get much safer than that.

If for some reason the installer won't work, for example because it is 32bit and made for xp, you would have to right click the installer and select compatibility mode.
m
l
May 12, 2011 12:10:25 AM

Thanks for everone's suggestions. I have Win 7 Home Premium, so maybe that is part of my problem. As far as the Geek Squad, I will not use them again. They put their own support software on my computer, which I uninstalled. Also, I could have downloaded the Dell files and set up my new computer, myself. It just would have taken a couple more hours. They would have charged me $100 less if I had bought the computer without their setting it up.

I'm going to find more about Linux and Ubuntu, though, and also about setting up a partition. A lot of the antivirus programs do not include antikeylogging, at least for their free programs. I have ThreatFire, though, which is supposed to detect keyloggers, among other things. It is sometimes too good in detecting some of my good programs as potentially harmful, especially when they want to execute automatic updates

Some of the 32 bit program setup files I have tried to open will eventually open after I open as administrator, but I am getting some error messages after I reboot, with error codes, so I might have to uninstall some of them if for whatever reason they are not exactly compatible.

ricochet_16

m
l
May 12, 2011 12:22:09 AM

That sounds like it may be due some registry errors. Sometimes uninstalling programs improperly (though that can sometimes be because of the programs themselves) can cause error codes. Furthermore, I still have no idea why the hell windows uses something as stupid as registry files. It's rather ridiculous.

Again, these anti-virus programs and such that protect against keyloggers, viruses and adware are bullshit. Don't buy into that nonsense. The best way to keep your PC safe if you use windows is using Chome/Firefox/Opera and smart internet etiquette. Creating backup discs and formatting regularly fixes everything and can be done rather quickly.

Easier and more secure than all of that is Linux. Make an ubuntu livecd and you can try out ubuntu without even installing it by running it right off the disc.
m
l
May 13, 2011 5:13:32 AM

Is ubuntu a Linux program? I'll check it out.

ricochet_16
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2011 7:12:47 AM

It is and quite a good one too.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2011 9:07:19 AM

I would never pay some clown to fix my PC
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2011 3:07:26 PM

fowang said:
I would never pay some clown to fix my PC

Well fortunately for us clowns who fix them for a living, there are people out there who know their limitations. The real clowns are the ones who have a go at a mate's computer as a favour, usually making matters worse and my bill larger - they all think they know it all whereas I only have to know where to look it all up. :D 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2011 3:28:46 PM

Tis true i do the occassional homer undercutting guys like geeksquad ;) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2011 3:32:28 PM

fowang said:
Tis true i do the occassional homer undercutting guys like geeksquad ;) 

Oh those guys are fair game! :D  :D  In this ocuntry they call themselves The TechGuys (average age 12) and you wouldn't believe the tales I could tell.

m
l
May 13, 2011 3:48:37 PM

I use the latest Avant browser in private mode a lot, in addition to IE9 for 64 bit and Mozilla Firefox. What do you think of Avant?

Whenever I have a chance, I'm going to read more about Ubuntu. What is the difference between Ubuntu and Kubuntu?

ricochet_16
m
l
May 13, 2011 5:15:18 PM

the desktop interface. Kubuntu = KDE, Ubuntu = GTK and 11.04 is Unity.

Basically how the operating system looks. a bit more complicated than that but that's the gist of it ;P
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2011 6:03:06 PM

I think it's best for Windows users to start off with the KDE desktop for the sake of familiarity but opinions will doubtless vary on that.
m
l
May 14, 2011 3:50:16 AM

When I go to the Ubuntu download site, it recommends the 32 bit download. Would that be preferred if I have Win 7 64 bits? I was having a big problem opening some 32 bit programs. Would I have the same problem with a 32 bit Ubuntu? And, would the KDE version work on my laptop? I also noticed that Kubuntu is a very large program. Would it be too much to run alongside my Windows 7?

ricochet_16
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 14, 2011 6:21:01 AM

Did the site scan your computer before recommending 32 bit? If you definitely have a 64 bit machine, you need the 64 bit system to make best use of it.

m
l
May 14, 2011 6:27:27 PM

No, that is the first thing that came up when I scrolled down to the download section. I think that is the default recommendation, but I know I have a 64 bit computer that has problems opening some 32-bit programs, so I would think, as you do, that a 64 bit system would be best for my computer.

I burned a 64 bit program onto a DVD disk, since my CDs did not have enough space for the program. However, that would not open because it wanted to run in a media player.

I then ordered a Kubuntu 11.04 - Install/Live CD (64-bit PC). Hopefully it will open on my computer when it arrives.

ricochet_16
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 14, 2011 9:00:51 PM

It could only be trying to open in Media Player because you tried to use it in a Windows system - it's designed to boot the computer and run live without Windows running at all.

m
l
May 15, 2011 4:45:34 AM

I may have more questions to ask you after my CD arrives. Hopefully it will boot without Windows running, as it is supposed to do.

Larry
m
l
May 21, 2011 5:19:32 PM

O.K., guys, please help me out. I received the Kubuntu 11.04 disk and tried to boot the live CD. It failed to boot automatically but when I found the file on the CD drive, it gave me an option to install a CD boot helper application, and I rebooted. It gave me the option to start Windows 7 or Kubuntu. I chose Kubuntu and it installed a Kubuntu 11.04 setup file on the Demo Kubuntu Desktop. I did not click on it, because I was afraid it would install Kubuntu and wipe out my Windows 7 accompanying program and data files.

I want to run Kubuntu alongside Windows, without uninstalling Windows. Would you suggest installing it within Windows as an application? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Larry
m
l
May 22, 2011 3:26:50 AM

Thanks for the direct link. I'll read up on the dual boot setup.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 22, 2011 6:19:35 AM

A quick commenton your other point - there's not much point installing Linux inside Windows - if W7 goes wrong you have no OS. Having the dual-boot is the ideal option because there's only one way both will fall over and that's a hardware failure.

m
l
May 22, 2011 7:27:14 PM

I just figured that out after reading the link pelov gave me. There was a discussion about resizing Windows to allow enough space for a second partition for Kubuntu, but that could be a little complicated unless you know something about. There are certain steps to follow before you install another partition. Thanks for the advice against installing Linux within Windows. From what I have read, there could be instability problems, especially if it is not done right.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 22, 2011 7:33:11 PM

I know absolutely nothing about Kubuntu but people on the Linux sub-Forum will. All I can say is that when you install Linux on a machine currently occupied by Windows, DrakLive or similar will take care of the partitioning and leave Windows with more than enough, taking just enough for the three Partitions Linux needs.

You won't have to do it manually and you needn't have any worrying decisions as to size to make.

m
l
May 22, 2011 7:34:36 PM

The Dual Boot would probably be the best answer to my original question, if I really wanted to run the 32 bit programs that would not install on my 64 bit Win 7. I should never have let the Geek Squad install Win 7 Home Premium. From what I have read from another post, Win 7 Ultimate would have been best.
m
l
May 22, 2011 7:40:43 PM

Sorry, I meant to say it was your post, where you said:

"W7 has an XP Mode to run 32 bit software. That is for ultimate version only".

m
l
May 22, 2011 7:43:02 PM

Best answer selected by ricochet_16.
m
l
May 22, 2011 8:25:52 PM

I would like to know more about DrakLive. I accessed that site and there are a lot of files to download. One is about 449 MB. I found also a set of directions that seem too good to be true:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7499457_install-kubuntu-dual-bo...

It would seem from my earlier reading that it would be more complicated than that.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 23, 2011 6:20:33 AM

In Linux, if it looks simple it's because it is. Linux is a whole new world to Windows users who are accustomed to their OS getting in the way of everything and trying to take control. Linux does most things for you and allows you to do what you want while it gets on with the job.

Don't worry abut DrakLive - that's the utility in my Linux OS - Kubuntu may use a different one but either way, it will do with the job with the minimum of fuss.

Did I mention you can run Kubuntu as a LiveCD without installing it to see if you like it?

m
l
!