D-link DVC-1000 or Polycom ViaVideo II ?

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

We are a small business in Australia trying to decide between the
D-link DVC-1000 (US$ 200) and Polycom ViaVideo II (US$ 450).

We need to hold meetings with 2-3 people at each end of a 512/128
kbs ADSL connection (could be upgraded).

D-link - can it fill a TV screen up to 17 inch with acceptable quality
picture 2 people at a table?

Polycom - can it fill a 17inch PC monitor with acceptable picture for
2 people at a table?

Both specs say CIF (352 x 288 px) - does this mean a picture size of a
CD cover or full screen?
4 answers Last reply
More about link 1000 polycom viavideo
  1. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

    Check this stuff out: http://www.camerapad.com/products.asp

    Kle wrote:

    >We are a small business in Australia trying to decide between the
    >D-link DVC-1000 (US$ 200) and Polycom ViaVideo II (US$ 450).
    >
    >We need to hold meetings with 2-3 people at each end of a 512/128
    >kbs ADSL connection (could be upgraded).
    >
    >D-link - can it fill a TV screen up to 17 inch with acceptable quality
    >picture 2 people at a table?
    >
    >Polycom - can it fill a 17inch PC monitor with acceptable picture for
    >2 people at a table?
    >
    >Both specs say CIF (352 x 288 px) - does this mean a picture size of a
    >CD cover or full screen?

    NOTE: I have modified my reply-to address to avoid
    Unsolicited Commercial Email. To respond to me directly,
    please remove the dotUCE in the reply-to address.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

    My preference will be Polycom ViaVideo. It has better image quality over
    D-link.

    JacK Lee
    e-mail:jacklee (at) extremenode.com
    http://www.extremenode.com

    "Kle" <kle@spcm.com.au> wrote in message
    > We are a small business in Australia trying to decide between the
    > D-link DVC-1000 (US$ 200) and Polycom ViaVideo II (US$ 450).
    >
    > We need to hold meetings with 2-3 people at each end of a 512/128
    > kbs ADSL connection (could be upgraded).
    >
    > D-link - can it fill a TV screen up to 17 inch with acceptable quality
    > picture 2 people at a table?
    >
    > Polycom - can it fill a 17inch PC monitor with acceptable picture for
    > 2 people at a table?
    >
    > Both specs say CIF (352 x 288 px) - does this mean a picture size of a
    > CD cover or full screen?
  3. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

    I've been using the Dlink product for a couple of weeks. The picture on a 32
    inch TV at full screen is mediocre. It allows a view where only about 2/3 of
    the screen is used for the external view, and that picture is acceptable,
    but not great. I think a 17 inch monitor would be a little better than the
    acceptable category. You will recognize the person and see adequate facial
    expression.

    The product is highly dependent on good lighting. Backlighting is a real
    problem.

    I've used it between a standard ADSL connection in San Diego and a cable
    connection not far away. After tweaking we were able to get a decent picture
    at the cable location, but the picture coming from the cable location was
    very bad. Between two standard ADSL connections we got the results indicated
    above.

    Your ADSL is faster than standard service here. I am intending to use these
    for international communications and plan to use 384kbs up, which will
    improve them. I am using them with Polycom conference phones for the audio,
    and a phone connection is required for a full duplex connection.

    CIF is one-quarter of a 640x480 screen, essentially. The picture on the TV
    is either the smaller size I indicate (with a smaller show of the picture
    you are sending) or full screen.

    The reports on the ViaVideo are pretty scarce, but indicate the video is
    better. Lighting is less of an issue, I understand. When I upgrade in about
    a year I think I will look at one of the more expensive Polycom products
    which use IP.

    Wisch
  4. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

    in truth, for a connection for 2-3 people, neither of these will really
    do it justice. Dlinks are not really designed for the corporate
    environment, and Via Videos are really only for one person, otherwise
    you have to huddle round the monitor. On a 17" screen it would look
    acceptable, but you have to look towards a room system like a small
    Tandberg or the new Polycom 500 to really appreciate the difference.
    See if your local supplier can demo you one of these, and you'll see
    the possibilities

    --
    mazzarak

    mazzarak's Profile: http://www.vtctalk.com/member.php?userid=22