I do not know if it is a Windows XP setting or a Zone Alarm problem, but
some small GIF's on webpages are not appearing. Sometimes hitting the
refresh button will have additional GIF's appear, often I just get the
little square with the red "X" inside. It is odd since on a particular web
page some GIF's will not appear, while similiar GIF's do. Any ideas? I am
sure there must be an easy fix.

Thanks, Bob

"Bob H" <bobandshauna@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> I do not know if it is a Windows XP setting or a Zone Alarm problem, but
> some small GIF's on webpages are not appearing. Sometimes hitting the
> refresh button will have additional GIF's appear, often I just get the
> little square with the red "X" inside. It is odd since on a particular
web
> page some GIF's will not appear, while similiar GIF's do. Any ideas? I am
> sure there must be an easy fix.
>
> Thanks, Bob

In IE, Tools>Internet Options...>Advanced tab. Scroll down to "Show
pictures"; mark if unchecked.

Malv

"Show Pictures" was already checked. I did notice when I went to
View>Encoding and changed from "Unicode" to "Western European" some of the
GIF's now appear. Anyway to change that to a default setting?

Bob

"Malvern" <thisis@fak> wrote in message

> "Bob H" <bobandshauna@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> I do not know if it is a Windows XP setting or a Zone Alarm problem, but
>> some small GIF's on webpages are not appearing. Sometimes hitting the
>> refresh button will have additional GIF's appear, often I just get the
>> little square with the red "X" inside. It is odd since on a particular
> web
>> page some GIF's will not appear, while similiar GIF's do. Any ideas? I
>> am
>> sure there must be an easy fix.
>>
>> Thanks, Bob
>>
> In IE, Tools>Internet Options...>Advanced tab. Scroll down to "Show
> pictures"; mark if unchecked.
>
> Malv

The show pictures unchecked would have caused you more
problems that just a few .gifs not showing up. This as
you have discovered is not the solution. Anyone who has
used Internet Explorer for any length of time knows that
missing .gifs on a web page is a problem that has plagued
IE for some while now. For some it is a very small
problem - perhaps not noticeable. For many others it is
a bigger annoyance. There have been several solutions
advanced over time but none seems to solve the problem
for everyone. Sorry I couldn't help. You may want to
try Mozilla Firefox. Latest builds don't seem to exhibit
this problem

Avant browser is by far the best browser I have ever
used. I have used 6 different browsers over a period of 3
years and Avant kicks butt! My 2 cents.
http://www.avantbrowser.com/

"Bob H" <bobandshauna@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> I do not know if it is a Windows XP setting or a Zone Alarm problem, but
> some small GIF's on webpages are not appearing. Sometimes hitting the
> refresh button will have additional GIF's appear, often I just get the
> little square with the red "X" inside. It is odd since on a particular
web
> page some GIF's will not appear, while similiar GIF's do. Any ideas? I am
> sure there must be an easy fix.
>
> Thanks, Bob

Try disabling Zone Alarm temporarily and see if that is the problem.

Are these GIFs part of the web page or are they banners or other ads from
outside domains?

Are you on a dial up or high speed connection?

You might want to check your internet connection settings, such as DHCP,
Gateway, or DNS with your ISP. They should be able to tell you exactly how
your computer should be set up for optimal connection to the net.

Rich C.
--
For a limited time get FREE HELP for your PC at
The PC Help Network

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

It's a Zone Alarm Problem. Look on your Privacy Tab>Site List and see what
websites have been affected by your settings then make the appropriate
changes.

Jerry