NTP Synching

anybody know if I can set my DC to synch with an external
NTP source for a duration of 96 times a day.

I know I can change value for the Period in the registry
and currently have it setup to sync every 8hrs by changing
the period to 3.

I'm running Windows 200 Advance server

please help

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 04:07:10 -0700, "amanda"

>anybody know if I can set my DC to synch with an external
>NTP source for a duration of 96 times a day.
>
>I know I can change value for the Period in the registry
>and currently have it setup to sync every 8hrs by changing
>the period to 3.
>
>I'm running Windows 200 Advance server
>
>please help

Yes, just set Period, a REG_DWORD data type, to decimal 96.

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

Do you mean

Period reg_dWord freq = 96

If 8hrs is decimal 3 then is 96 decimal 96

please clarify

many thankd for your prompt reply

Hi Amanda,

I'm by no means an expert in this subject matter of W32Time Service, but
I'll try to assist you to the best of my
ability.

Period : REG_DWORD or REG_SZ Used to control how often the time service
synchronizes. If a string value is specified, it must be one of special ones
listed below. If you specify the string value by using the numbers (65535
for example), then create the value as a REG_DWORD.

If you use the word to specify the string value (Bidaily for example), then
the entry should be created as a REG_SZ. 0 = once a day 65535, "BiDaily" =
once every 2 days 65534, "Tridaily" = once every 3 days 65533, "Weekly" =
once every week (7 days) 65532, "SpecialSkew" = once every 45 minutes until
3 good synchronizations occur, then once every 8 hours (3 per day) [default]
65531, "DailySpecialSkew" = once every 45 minutes until 1 good
synchronization occurs, then once every day <freq> = <freq> times per day.

224799 Basic Operation of the Windows Time Service
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=224799

216734 How to Configure an Authoritative Time Server in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216734

The Windows Time Service
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/docs/wintimeserv.doc

--
Hope this helps,
Mike Rosado

<http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm>

> If 8hrs is decimal 3 then is 96 decimal 96
>
> please clarify
>
> many thankd for your prompt reply

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 05:21:46 -0700, "Amanda"

>Do you mean
>
>Period reg_dWord freq = 96
>
>If 8hrs is decimal 3 then is 96 decimal 96
>
>please clarify
>
>many thankd for your prompt reply

Period, a REG_DWORD data type should be set to 96.

Merge the following .reg file. (96 is hexadecimal 60)

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\w32time\Parameters]
"Period"=dword:00000060

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.