Upgrade Choices

cosmicnut

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
My system has done me well. However, it's started to mess around.
My sound card failed (it was 4 years old) and has been replace. My graphics card is being a little unstable and the entire system keeps hanging for a few seconds!

Basically, Time to get some new kit. The problem is, with all the new processors and chipsets, what the heck do I get!!!

The real problem is that I can't afford much at the mo.
What I'm looking for is to get a PCIE motherboard, PCIE graphics and a new processor.

Budget is a tiny £500

I don't mind getting a cheap processor and graphics card and then update those when finances become available. I just need to get the right chipset so those are the only things I need to replace. I also have to make sure the processor is at least as capable as my current one

My current setup is a socket 940 FX-53 on an ASUS sk8n motherboard. Gainward NV6800 Ultra (golden sample) and 1GB registered ram (due to socket 940 / fx53 problems).

What current processors would give me AT LEAST the same performance as the fx53 chip?
Don't care about Intel / AMD (no fanboy posts please) but price is a concern. Also, whats the best socket configuration for future proofing (well as future proof as is possible these days!)

Thanks in advance

Omid

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2005
Ok,possibly a E6400 that is about £160 at overclockers.

Asus P5W DH Deluxe WiFi (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard Motherboard that is about £160

Cheaper MB is the Asus P5VD2-MX Micro ATX (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard (MB-163-AS) at £46

That can leave you with either £320 spent or £200 spent depending on the board.

The problem is you are going to need DDR2 Memory to get that pc going so the cheaper board maybe an option but i would personally get the dearer one due to its future compatability.

Video card wise how about a 7600GT??