Water Cooling Suggestions

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
So I have decided to venture into the liquid cooling world. I have read reviews on kits, on DIY's, and have decided to go the DIY route. Reason being, I want it to be a 1/2 setup for interchangability and upgradeabilty in the future. None of the low priced kits come in that size, and the kits that do, well I could put together my own setup for about the same price.

Here is My list. Please Let me know if i have missed anything, or if something should be changed

CPU Block:Swiftech Apogee
Pump:DD12V-D5
Reservoir:DD Round
Radiator:Black Ice Xtreme II
Tubing:Tygon 1/2
Coolant:MCT-5

I plan to add a GPU and chipset later on. Hows this look for my first stab at a DIY water cooling setup?

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Your kit looks exactly like the Swiftech H20-220 Apex kit. You might want to get that if the price is similar.

If you can't mount the radiator inside your case, swiftech has the radbox which allows you to mount it outside, which is really nice. Also, the have cool-coils (something like that) that wraps around your pipes and offers additional integrity, and looks cool... shrug...

Everything else seems pretty standard. You might want to just get an additive instead of the coolant itself and get your own de-ionized water, but your choice.

You might want to check www.systemcooling.com for some of the best watercooling reviews I've seen. The Laing D5 pumps one of the best out there, as is the Apogee block (Storm sounds cooler though). Good luck man!

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Is that Swiftech Kit 1/2 ID Tubing? I saw it but was unsure. Also th pump i that kit puts out ~317 gph. I dont know what the D5 Puts out I couldnt find it anywhere.

Wilk that Swiftech kit be able to handle and added GPU and Chipset and is it 1/2 ID??

ps..grr its also out of stock

Vcore

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
If your CPU and motherboard is running in an optimal heat range of let's say 115F then I would leave things be. If you're running 15% higher, then I would consider the cooling system you spoke of. (e.g. your list)

I would check the dynamics on your air flow before going to a water cooling system. Why? 1) The proper air flow will sufice, and this all depends on your case and fan set-up. The CPU runs better between 115-125F (Based on an AMD) 2) I have read and seen a lot of horror stories about the "Oops! I have a leak! Oh NO! my CPU and motherboard is fried!!"

On the other hand, the list you provided is a good one. The best of luck!