Laserjet 6L spins up but cannot print

Found Laserjet 6L at garage sale but here's the problem.

Plug in the power. As usual it cranks for a minute, makes all the
right sounds, and the ready light comes on.

Press the feed button. The motor spins up, like it's trying to feed
(or print the spec. sheet)

After 2 seconds the motor stops and the trouble light comes on.

That's it. Nothing else seems to help. Have had the thing open and
theres no junk or paper jam. The same thing happens if you try to
print from the computer.

Any Sherlock Holmes in the house?
thanks
todd. Kirkland wa.

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Todd
The symptoms you describe sound like the paper feed is failing, the usual cause
of this is a worn (or simply aged) paper feed (pick up) roller and the best fix
is replacement of the pick up roller and separation pads. You need to be
comfortable with removing the covers and some internal components if you want
to do it yourself. A repair shop should charge between 30 and 40 minutes labour
for the job plus parts. Alternatively there is a kit made to fix this problem
with instructions (Google to find suppliers or try
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/hp/K30) which others have said they have
had success with although I have not used one of these kits preferring to use
genuine HP parts.
Before you spend the $30 you need to listen carefully to the printer when you
push the button, does it sound like a roller is turning towards the back of the
printer? If so then the above fix is likely to work. This is a good reliable
printer although old and a little slow and I would suggest you invest the money.
Tony

toddboyle@yahoo.com wrote:
>Found Laserjet 6L at garage sale but here's the problem.
>
>Plug in the power. As usual it cranks for a minute, makes all the
>right sounds, and the ready light comes on.
>
>Press the feed button. The motor spins up, like it's trying to feed
>(or print the spec. sheet)
>
>After 2 seconds the motor stops and the trouble light comes on.
>
>That's it. Nothing else seems to help. Have had the thing open and
>theres no junk or paper jam. The same thing happens if you try to
>print from the computer.
>
>Any Sherlock Holmes in the house?
>thanks
>todd. Kirkland wa.

Is it possible it is trying to pick up a piece of paper but can't
(slippage, due to glazed rubber, missing parts, paper advancer not
moving, etc) and then when the paper doesn't show up at the sensor, it
shuts down?

Try to figure out what parts move the paper into the printer and clean
the "grippers". Try using a thicker paper and see if that helps to
start with. Try assisting the paper in during the correct time and see
if the cycle continues through and prints.

Art