How far can you swim?

Last response: in Video Games
November 15, 2004 2:18:55 AM

I got bored and curious today, and decided to see just how far away from
shore you could get. I started at Ashurnibibi (near Hla Oad) and headed
east. Since I have Bloodmoon installed, there's quite a bit of east before
you get to the edge of the map, but I eventually did (Boots of Blinding
Speed + 88 points in Speed attribute helped), and I discovered that you can
just keep going. The world appears to be endless after you go off the edge
of the map. And it's inhabited, too. Every once in a while, I'd have to
turn around and kill off all the dozens of slaughterfish and dreughs I'd
attracted. Sometimes I'd be attacked by dozens at a time. (Great way to
increase your armor/block skills, btw.) And if you ever had need of an
endless supply of scales and dreugh wax, this is one way to get it. I think
I went about as far as twice the width of the entire map before I gave up
and used a Recall to get back home. Anybody taken this further? I was
curious to see if maybe the world wrapped around eventually, and you could
wind up somewhere on Azura's Coast that way, or if there actually is an edge
of the world out there somewhere? After a while, I needed to rest off all
the damage I'd taken fighting those huge armies of dreughs, so I couldn't go
much further. (I suppose I could have wasted a bunch of healing potions,
but why bother?)

More about : swim

Anonymous
November 15, 2004 6:59:57 PM

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 23:18:55 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>I got bored and curious today, and decided to see just how far away from
>shore you could get.
<snip>
>I think
>I went about as far as twice the width of the entire map before I gave up
>and used a Recall to get back home. Anybody taken this further? I was
>curious to see if maybe the world wrapped around eventually, and you could
>wind up somewhere on Azura's Coast that way, or if there actually is an edge
>of the world out there somewhere?

No, it doesn't wrap and there isn't an edge either. If you look in the
Construction Set, you can see that the map tiles are only defined out to
a couple of cells out at most of the edges. That means that the cells
you were swimming through are undefined, and just use the default empty
cell, which is water with random fish and a flat bottom. Since there's
no need to store data for the contents of such cells, you could just
keep swimming forever, or until the game ran out of memory.
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 5:30:40 PM

Darrel Hoffman wrote:

> I got bored and curious today, and decided to see just how far away from
> shore you could get. I started at Ashurnibibi (near Hla Oad) and headed
> east. Since I have Bloodmoon installed, there's quite a bit of east before
> you get to the edge of the map, but I eventually did (Boots of Blinding
> Speed + 88 points in Speed attribute helped), and I discovered that you can
> just keep going. The world appears to be endless after you go off the edge
> of the map. And it's inhabited, too. Every once in a while, I'd have to
> turn around and kill off all the dozens of slaughterfish and dreughs I'd
> attracted. Sometimes I'd be attacked by dozens at a time. (Great way to
> increase your armor/block skills, btw.) And if you ever had need of an
> endless supply of scales and dreugh wax, this is one way to get it. I think
> I went about as far as twice the width of the entire map before I gave up
> and used a Recall to get back home. Anybody taken this further? I was
> curious to see if maybe the world wrapped around eventually, and you could
> wind up somewhere on Azura's Coast that way, or if there actually is an edge
> of the world out there somewhere? After a while, I needed to rest off all
> the damage I'd taken fighting those huge armies of dreughs, so I couldn't go
> much further. (I suppose I could have wasted a bunch of healing potions,
> but why bother?)

Try making a permanent item of Water Walking, then running as far as
possible.

CH
November 17, 2004 7:40:33 AM

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 23:18:55 -0500, with the help of 10,000 Little
Computer Monkeys (LCM'S) "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote:

>After a while, I needed to rest off all
>the damage I'd taken fighting those huge armies of dreughs, so I couldn't go
>much further. (I suppose I could have wasted a bunch of healing potions,
>but why bother?)

Go to an enchanter and have something enchanted with 1 or 2 points of CE
Restore Health to heal minor wounds, and then save your healing potions
for serious battles...

My characters generally wear a CE Restore Health clothing item so that
they don't have to worry about minor wounds. However to help maintain
game balance, I'm also using a Mod that requires my characters to Rest
and Eat & Drink Fluids EVERY Day or suffer the consequences! Which
means that there are no more endless game days with my characters not
sleeping... ^_^

That's my 2¢,

FTA

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

-Martin Luther King Jr.
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 9:06:06 PM

> My characters generally wear a CE Restore Health clothing item so that
> they don't have to worry about minor wounds.

Yeah, I've got a collection of (non-CE) healing amulets, belts, rings, etc.
that I carry around at all times in case I need healing and there are
enemies too close to allow me to rest. (Usually they're behind several
walls on the other side of 3 locked doors, but the game still thinks they're
"too close". Sort of a stupid distinction, I think. I once found a tower
where some necromancer was living, and I kept hearing this screaming sound
even after I'd killed every living thing in the whole place. Finally, I got
curious and used a TCL in the console to look around, and found this one
isolated room with no doors or other exits, which contained 2 Bonelords,
whose sole purpose I'm almost certain was to freak you out by screaming
alot, and make it so that you couldn't rest anywhere in the whole place.)
Anyhow, as I said, I have these items I use for healing, but I'd already
used them all up, I think mainly because my Enchant skill is pretty low and
they use more charge than they would normally. I was a LONG way from shore
before I finally gave up my experiment...

Oh, and these weren't exactly minor wounds. Dreughs and Slaughterfish may
be pretty weak monsters, but when you're being attacked by 50 of them at a
time, it can be a bit of a problem, even for a lvl 35 char with maxed
Endurance and high armor skills...
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 6:00:56 AM

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 18:06:06 -0500, with the help of 10,000 Little
Computer Monkeys (LCM'S) "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote:

>> My characters generally wear a CE Restore Health clothing item so that
>> they don't have to worry about minor wounds.
>
>Yeah, I've got a collection of (non-CE) healing amulets, belts, rings, etc.
>that I carry around at all times in case I need healing and there are
>enemies too close to allow me to rest. (Usually they're behind several
>walls on the other side of 3 locked doors, but the game still thinks they're
>"too close". Sort of a stupid distinction, I think. I once found a tower
>where some necromancer was living, and I kept hearing this screaming sound
>even after I'd killed every living thing in the whole place. Finally, I got
>curious and used a TCL in the console to look around, and found this one
>isolated room with no doors or other exits, which contained 2 Bonelords,
>whose sole purpose I'm almost certain was to freak you out by screaming
>alot, and make it so that you couldn't rest anywhere in the whole place.)
>Anyhow, as I said, I have these items I use for healing, but I'd already
>used them all up, I think mainly because my Enchant skill is pretty low and
>they use more charge than they would normally. I was a LONG way from shore
>before I finally gave up my experiment...

Thanks, TCL sounds like a good command for me to try some time. ^_^

>Oh, and these weren't exactly minor wounds. Dreughs and Slaughterfish may
>be pretty weak monsters, but when you're being attacked by 50 of them at a
>time, it can be a bit of a problem, even for a lvl 35 char with maxed
>Endurance and high armor skills...

You'd be surprised at what it takes for a bunch of low level creatures
to kill a high level character always wearing an item with CE Restore
Health 1 or 2 points per second. Such an item along with your
characters armor should slow down the damage enough per second for most
experienced characters to kill enough of their low level attackers to
finely turn the tide of battle. Though if more healing is somehow
required, 1 or 2 healing potions should be more than enough... Granted
if I remember correctly (though I'm most likely wrong) your character
needs to be on land to repair their armor and weapons.

That's my 2¢,

FTA

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

-Martin Luther King Jr.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 4:06:45 AM

I tried flying south from Vivec, in the original game (not GotY, but it
might be the same). I flew down into the water with permanent
water-breathing and did a lot of underwater swimming and looking around
as well. Apparently the empty cells they use down south have no fish or
dreugh in them. Just flat bottom and no creatures. Letting time pass
didn't show night or day, just a constant twilight. After about one or
two hours I felt nothing further was going to happen, so I gave up and
went on with the game.

Dave

!