directory share access help

TT

Folks I'm currently running advanced server 2000 as a
domain controller with service pack 4. Its resides on a
very small network consisting of xp pro machines and xp
home machines. I know xp home machines cannot be part of
a domain which has caused no problems in the past, they
would just map a drive and get a login prompt and away
they go. However, we have added about 6 more machines
totalling around 14 including roving laptops and now for
some reason the share directories that were created on
the server no longer work. Unless those directories are
set for "everyone" the users originally setup to access
tose directories can no longer gain access error
message "access denied". I treied everything including
creating a group and gave that group permission to access
the directory/files and that doens't work either. No
matter what I try no one can gain access unless I give a
share to everyone. I dont know if this is a bug or the
fact that these new xp home pcs are on the network could
be causing the problem. This is extrememly frustrating.
Any and all help would greatly be appreciated as I need
to restrict specific directories to specific individuals.
Thansk for all replies.

PS nothing in the error logs that looks suspicious

TT

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:57:21 -0700, "TT" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Folks I'm currently running advanced server 2000 as a
>domain controller with service pack 4. Its resides on a
>very small network consisting of xp pro machines and xp
>home machines. I know xp home machines cannot be part of
>a domain which has caused no problems in the past, they
>would just map a drive and get a login prompt and away
>they go. However, we have added about 6 more machines
>totalling around 14 including roving laptops and now for
>some reason the share directories that were created on
>the server no longer work. Unless those directories are
>set for "everyone" the users originally setup to access
>tose directories can no longer gain access error
>message "access denied". I treied everything including
>creating a group and gave that group permission to access
>the directory/files and that doens't work either. No
>matter what I try no one can gain access unless I give a
>share to everyone. I dont know if this is a bug or the
>fact that these new xp home pcs are on the network could
>be causing the problem. This is extrememly frustrating.
>Any and all help would greatly be appreciated as I need
>to restrict specific directories to specific individuals.
>Thansk for all replies.
>
>PS nothing in the error logs that looks suspicious
>
>TT

Have you configured enough client licenses?

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

TT

didnt check that, can i assume that if it were a licesne
issue that it would cause this problem?