Recently I installed the updates on Windows XP that load
from the web. I re-booted my computer and it seemed to
open normally..but all that came up on the final screen
was the screen saver...It completely filled the
screen...no shortcut icons nor tray items appeared....I
could not do anything on the computer no matter what ket
I pushed... I turned off my computer and turned it back
on (an IBM Thinkpad T30) and pushed f8 and opened XP in
safe mode, then tried to re-boot but the same thing
happedned...just the screen saver...What happened? How
can I fix it? Thanks.

Try starting up in Safe Mode. If successful, then start up in standard.

"Gary E." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently I installed the updates on Windows XP that load
> from the web. I re-booted my computer and it seemed to
> open normally..but all that came up on the final screen
> was the screen saver...It completely filled the
> screen...no shortcut icons nor tray items appeared....I
> could not do anything on the computer no matter what ket
> I pushed... I turned off my computer and turned it back
> on (an IBM Thinkpad T30) and pushed f8 and opened XP in
> safe mode, then tried to re-boot but the same thing
> happedned...just the screen saver...What happened? How
> can I fix it? Thanks.

go to microsoft sp 2site , their are problems with some
chip compatabality . Use boot disk and restore if
possible. download the patch file ,that should work.have
you backed up lately, reboot from their? Used disaster
recovery?.reboot with windows boot disk. if you have to
go into bios to change the boot drive for the cd drive
and put windows cd in that drive ( as last resort reload
windows )

Joe

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
> Try starting up in Safe Mode. If successful, then start up in standard.
>
> "Gary E." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Recently I installed the updates on Windows XP that load
> > from the web. I re-booted my computer and it seemed to
> > open normally..but all that came up on the final screen
> > was the screen saver...It completely filled the
> > screen...no shortcut icons nor tray items appeared....I
> > could not do anything on the computer no matter what ket
> > I pushed... I turned off my computer and turned it back
> > on (an IBM Thinkpad T30) and pushed f8 and opened XP in
> > safe mode, then tried to re-boot but the same thing
> > happedned...just the screen saver...What happened? How
> > can I fix it? Thanks.

Try uninstalling SP2 and if that doesn't work do a system restore to some
point before your problem showed up.

Joe

"Gary E." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently I installed the updates on Windows XP that load
> from the web. I re-booted my computer and it seemed to
> open normally..but all that came up on the final screen
> was the screen saver...It completely filled the

Do you mean the background?

> screen...no shortcut icons nor tray items appeared....I
> could not do anything on the computer no matter what ket
> I pushed... I turned off my computer and turned it back
> on (an IBM Thinkpad T30) and pushed f8 and opened XP in
> safe mode, then tried to re-boot but the same thing
> happedned...just the screen saver...What happened? How
> can I fix it? Thanks.

When it was sitting there with just the "screen saver" (background?)
showing, was the disk light on?

Sometimes after a large update or a lot of small ones Windows does a lot of
disk thrashing. If you wait a while, it may settle down, at which time you
may get your icons and taskbar back. If the disk light is not on, then
rolling back or doing a repair install might be in order.

Rich C.
--
For a limited time get FREE HELP for your PC at
The PC Help Network

It took my system about ten minutes before the icons started showing up
again.

> It took my system about ten minutes before the icons started showing up
> again.

My fiance has a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 and it sometimes takes several minutes to
settle down after an update or a crash.

She constantly tells me "It's frozen." I say "Wait." She says "It won't come
back." I say "Wait."

It always comes back eventually. I don't know exactly what is going on but
with all the System Restore features, and System File Protection, and
capabilities to uninstall updates, I imagine there is a lot to write to
disk.

Rich C.
--
For a limited time get FREE HELP for your PC at
The PC Help Network
www.pchelpnetwork.com

TRENDING THREADS