Alternate overclocking METHOD!

jonnyli

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I wondering if increasing the FSB while lowering the multiplier would work for a good overclock?? Here is an extreme exampling that’s been going through my head.

Let say I have a Intel Core 2 X6800 it has system bus of 266 x 11 = 2.93ghz. With DDR2-1066 ghz ram I can knock up the system bus to 533mgz. Obviouly at 5.86ghz the CPU would die so if I lowered the multiplier to let say six, then the CPU would run at 533x6= 3.2 ghz which is very attainable clock speed. Now the FSB would be running @ 533x4= 2.13ghz!!! that is nearly double the stock speed. This is a huge increase in memory bandwidth. I was wondering if this is possible (maybe the North bridge, would self destruct) or if any one has tried this? Now, my example is an extreme example of boosting the FSB rather than CPU speed, but has anyone tried a more moderate overclock of this kind?
Sorry for the title, i wanted to attact attention.

Thanks in advance for all the comments!

QuietFreek

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
the northbridge would need to be volt moded and probably wouldnt reach that speed anyway, people seem to be maxing out on the 975x chipset at about 400 - 450 mhz, you could of curse follow the THG example and strap a phase change cooler to it :wink: but i think thats a little exssive, good luck

Flopmouth_Fish

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I don't see why you'd buy an X6800 just to underclock it to 2.13GHz and gain a little more memory bandwidth. I'd get an E6400 and try to hit 3GHz, which would give a big increase in memory bandwidth and more performance than an underclocked X6800.

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
the northbridge would need to be volt moded and probably wouldnt reach that speed anyway, people seem to be maxing out on the 975x chipset at about 400 - 450 mhz, you could of curse follow the THG example and strap a phase change cooler to it :wink: but i think thats a little exssive, good luck

The DS3 hits 500 mhz, which equals 2 Ghz FSB.
I'm too lazy to look up the link but its on Extremesystems somewhere.

It is possible, but the northbridge will get a little toasty.. so you'll need a fan for it.

jonnyli

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Well, i was thinking, an 87% increase in memory bandwidth from 1066 to 2ghz as well has having the CPU increase from 2.93 to 3.2 ghz would yield an overall better system performance than just overclocking the cpu to 3.6 ghz, which is about a 20% increase in processing power. Just a thought though. Of course, the Northbridge would have to be cooled down substantially...

I don't see why you'd buy an X6800 just to underclock it to 2.13GHz and gain a little more memory bandwidth
2.13 ghz was the speed of the FSB! not the cpu. the corresponding cpu speed would be 3.2ghz in my scenario.

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
I don't think the gain will be that substantial.. you'd be better as another poster said having a lower clocked cpu oced to that FSB.
The conroe itself isn't very bandwidth limited, as far as i've seen.

Not to mention you won't be paying 1000 dollars for it. :wink:

Also when doing that i would suggest some aftermarket heatsink for your northbridge.
You can always mount some old cpu heatsink on it... that should be more than enough.

weilin

Distinguished
I wonder if you can drill holes into a motherboard to fit a cpu mounting bracket to the bottom of a northbridge... That would really funny. idk.. i might go try it with some of my older 754 and 478 boards.. I am pretty sure that not all boards (esp budget) has every inch of that board used up, a lot of the board seems empty so i guess i should be "safe"

AlaskaFox

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I wouldnt drill the mobo. alot of the newer mobo's come with multiple layer PCB's so what you see on the 1st and last layer (front and back) may not be all...

QuietFreek

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
if you got something small and heatpipe based with a remote heatsink unit, like the thermalright units you could drill the base of the heat sink to fit the mobo holes , just be carefull u dont go through the heat pipes, mayb take the bottom plate apart/ remove the heatpipe and drill and counter sink some bolts in there. extra kudos if you manage to get a big typhoon bolted on there :lol:

asdasd123123

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Lowering multiplier may be neccesary to maintain the maximum RAM speed..
But there's no reason believing you'll get higher by doing so.

On my system for instance, I can OC to 2,4ghz with a 9x multiplier easily, but the ram either end up at 100mhz too high or too low.
But at 8x I can run 301mhz fsb at 2,4ghz with ram at the optimal 400mhz.

Overclocking has become somewhat of a mathematical puzzle..

Unsure how it's on intel, but I'd reckon it's fairly similar.

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Now you do realise that your Out-of-the-box CPU is currently the fastest, overclock or not??

If you're merely tryinng for a world record........you might want to try liquid nitrogen!!