localized versions modding problems

Hi experts,

I am living in Germany so I got a german version of The Elder Scrolls
III : Morrowind last Christmas.
Since then I enjoyed the game very much, but surfing the web i found
mods like Dragons, Children, sitting guests in pubs and not a single
one of them works with my game.
When starting Morrowind it says that one or more mods don't find the
morrowind main .esp-file they expect to find. And it does not start.
Instead there are more failure messages dealing with missing cells or
persons in cells ore textures and so on.
In the lower right corner of the main menu there is a version number i
forgot, but it was higher than the most current patch I found on the
web.
Do I need a patch nonetheless?
Do I need an english version in general for all mods?

thanks in advance

Lukas Schubert

This may just show how little I know about this, but I have no idea why it
is that way. as a suggestion (what I do when mods run with errors) load
them in TES then RE-save them and they will match your version, but it might
not help with a different localization.

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:16:01 GMT, Lukas Schubert <allesblossn@web.de>
wrote:

> I am living in Germany so I got a german version of The Elder Scrolls
> III : Morrowind last Christmas.
> Since then I enjoyed the game very much, but surfing the web i found
> mods like Dragons, Children, sitting guests in pubs and not a single
> one of them works with my game.
> When starting Morrowind it says that one or more mods don't find the
> morrowind main .esp-file they expect to find. And it does not start.

Every mod is written for the version used to create it. If it is
written on a pure Morrowind (v1.0) and you use it with Tribunal (v1.2)
the game will give you an error message stating that one or more mods
could not find correct version of Morrowind. This isn't a problem,
it is only a nuisance. As long as you run a more recent version than
the mod requires, you're fine.

> Instead there are more failure messages dealing with missing cells or
> persons in cells ore textures and so on.

I'll try to explain that beviour a bit: The game administrates the
landscape as a cluster of "cells". The same applies to interiors of
buildings, caves...
The names of these cells are identical with the name shown on your
in-game map. And this is where your trouble begins. Let's assume a
mod wants to edit the interior of Balmora's Mages Guild. If the mod
was written for the english version, it will address the Cell
"Balmora, Guild of Mages". However, the German version doesn't
feature this cell. I guess it is named "Balmora, Magier Gilde".
So the mod can't find the cell it is supposed to alter and gives
you an error message (missing Cell/Person).
The only way to make those mods run - and I strongly advise you
*not* to do so - is to change the affected cell names into the
German cell names. You could do that by using "Morrowind Enchanted
Editor", for example. A much easier option is to buy an English
copy of the game (local store, www.ebay.de, ...)
In addition there are many mods that require the official expansions
Tribunal and Bloodmoon. These have to be in the same language as
Morrowind. If you can get the GOTY (Game Of The Year) Edition, those
will be included.

> In the lower right corner of the main menu there is a version number i
> forgot, but it was higher than the most current patch I found on the
> web.
> Do I need a patch nonetheless?

No, patches are a minor issue and as long as you are operating the
German version, they aren't an issue at all.

> Do I need an english version in general for all mods?

Again, no. You need it for most mods I know. You will find several
German mods on this site:
http://www.seoman-mondkalb.org/html/mods___plugins.html

By the way: If you decide to buy the English version, prepare to loose
your savegame. You can save your belongings, if they are located in a
cell which exists in both the English and the German version. But
everything that happened elsewhere will be reverted to the default
settings.

Bjoern

drybones

Distinguished