Dead Epson; on the market for new printer

Hi All,

I have recently had a bad experience with an Epson printer. Its a Photo
Stylus 915 I purchased about 20 months ago. About 3 months ago I changed the
colour cartridge(genuine) for the first time and it wouldn't print any
yellow. I did the recommended things - multiple clean cycles etc. I also
sprayed some Windex on the pad thingy and left it over night. It then
wouldn't print anything at all. I may have killed it! It sat there for a
couple of months and I recently decided to take it in for a quote. Ends up
not only is the print head dead but the main board is gone too. A trash
case!

Anyways, I would like to buy a new printer and was wondering what folks
would suggest. I don't want to spend more than $400 (AUD) and I wouldn't
mind direct to CD label printing.

Thanks in advance.

Stephan Carydakis.
10 answers Last reply
More about dead epson market printer

    > I have recently had a bad experience with an Epson printer.

    Not as bad as mine. Same problems as you except after it refused to
    print it leaked many ounces of ink on my desk, and mine was only 6
    months old.

    > Anyways, I would like to buy a new printer and was wondering what folks
    > would suggest. I don't want to spend more than $400 (AUD) and I wouldn't
    > mind direct to CD label printing.

    Near as I'm aware. The only options for direct CD label printing are
    Canon and Epson. The Canon multifuctions also sport CD printing. I'm
    not up on AU models but near as i'm aware Epson's AIO units do not.

    * denotes things I have and use.

    -Epson
    -Dye 6 color-
    *STYLUS PHOTO R210 -
    STYLUS PHOTO R310 - like the r210 but with PictBridge and memory slots
    LCD screen

    -Pigment 8 color-
    STYLUS PHOTO R800 -
    STYLUS PHOTO R1800 -

    Canon - Duplex printing
    *iP3000 -4 color 2pl
    iP4000 -5 color 2pl (two blacks)
    iP4000R - wireless
    iP5000 -5 color 1pl
    iP6000D-6 color -2pl- LCD screen
    iP8500-8 color 2pl? More than you want to spend

    -Multi Fuction-
    mP-750- ADF feeder
    *mP-760 - slide scanner no xD slot - a little more than you want to
    spend
    mP-780 ADF feeder - FAX - even more than you want to spend.

    The R200 is the equilivent model to the R210. Worked great for 6
    months before it dumped all it's waste ink on my desk. Not sure if it
    was a flaw in the wipe, or at what point the suction tube came loose,
    or if the ink waste bin counter was off. But I had been routing all my
    waste ink to a starbucks mug when I was aware it had diaper issues. I
    averaged 1 5*5 print a day for 6 months. I'm not fond of Epson
    presently. I found the out of the box color settings to be adquate, so
    pleased I it got me to start buying photo paper.

    The iP3000 I bought in a pinch. The Epson was in the shop, still is
    actually, and needed something to do CD printing and took the risk I
    could enable the feature. Also my HP 950 was start to flake out and
    the cost of the iP3000 was less than replacement ink. It was only like
    $66 or so US or roughly AUD$87 or AUD$60 if I get the rebate. I
    think it's triple the price where you live. Because the US models
    don't officaly support CD printing the cost is much less. My first
    impression is the Epson had better out of the box color accuracy, but
    have yet to tweek with it. Not overly fond of the black on this, and I
    might have been wiser buying at least the iP4000. I'm not fond of the
    black background with white text with smaller fonts.

    The MP760 is based on the iP4000 engine, so it has your pigmented and
    dye based black. I have not enabled CD printing on it yet, still need
    the manual to found out how. Even without CD printing the 35mm
    scanner is very useful. First impression is pretty good, though out of
    the box I found it's reproduction of sky blue closer to a dark
    periwinkle but I'm told they lean tward red and this can be adjusted.

    Sounds like a power surge, did you have the printer protected.

    "Stephan Carydakis" <steph777@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have recently had a bad experience with an Epson printer. Its a Photo
    > Stylus 915 I purchased about 20 months ago. About 3 months ago I changed
    the
    > colour cartridge(genuine) for the first time and it wouldn't print any
    > yellow. I did the recommended things - multiple clean cycles etc. I also
    > sprayed some Windex on the pad thingy and left it over night. It then
    > wouldn't print anything at all. I may have killed it! It sat there for a
    > couple of months and I recently decided to take it in for a quote. Ends up
    > not only is the print head dead but the main board is gone too. A trash
    > case!
    >
    > Anyways, I would like to buy a new printer and was wondering what folks
    > would suggest. I don't want to spend more than $400 (AUD) and I wouldn't
    > mind direct to CD label printing.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Stephan Carydakis.

    Canon IP4000 and use OEM ink. It is faster and produces better results
    than the Epson. It also has dual paper feed and duplex printing. The
    Euro version does CDs as well.

    Stephan Carydakis wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >I have recently had a bad experience with an Epson printer. Its a Photo
    >Stylus 915 I purchased about 20 months ago. About 3 months ago I changed the
    >colour cartridge(genuine) for the first time and it wouldn't print any
    >yellow. I did the recommended things - multiple clean cycles etc. I also
    >sprayed some Windex on the pad thingy and left it over night. It then
    >wouldn't print anything at all. I may have killed it! It sat there for a
    >couple of months and I recently decided to take it in for a quote. Ends up
    >not only is the print head dead but the main board is gone too. A trash
    >case!
    >
    >Anyways, I would like to buy a new printer and was wondering what folks
    >would suggest. I don't want to spend more than $400 (AUD) and I wouldn't
    >mind direct to CD label printing.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Stephan Carydakis.

    > I might check out HP's as well although you say they don't have
    > direct to CD printing. I'll go check them out.

    Very wise, i'm in another country, one where CD printing on Canons is
    diabled.

    > I suppose the main difference will be quality of image and
    > with the extra colours, better colour matching? I also notice the 8500 is
    > slow for it's price but apparently because quality
    > is the main aim of this printer.

    Keep in mind I don't own these two, and i'm going by the specs and what
    i've seen in the stores.

    The ip8500 has the black, cyan, magenta, yellow, light cyan/magenta,
    red, green. I imagine it would be nice not to have use magenta and
    yellow to get a nice deep red common in many logos. The light inks i'm
    told are more for filling then color matching, in theory providing more
    continious tones. I liked them on my Epson r200. But the trade off is
    the larger drop size vs the ip5000.

    The ip5000 gives you the smaller drop size and the big ass 25ml
    pigmented black (BCI-3eBK). I must admit, I text output on the iP3000
    and mP760 both using the pigmented black. Not as nice as laser, but
    damn close. From what I see you don't get this on the iP8500, but
    those buying that printer are likely more interested in photos than
    text.

    It would be best for one go to your local shop and test your own images
    using Pictbridge or card slot printing, well except on the r800 which
    offers no such features. Now for me doing this, my pic was the Epson
    R300 which is like the R200 but having the LCD display. Since I was
    looking mostly for a CD printer, and if you make CDs you might as well
    make covers, and white text on black is common, the Epson did this the
    best... for a few months anyway. Now slightly over a week later the
    shop finally looks at my printer and says "oh it would be best if Epson
    replaced this". I would have thought the three plastic bags with a
    pool of ink at the bottom would be a dead giveaway.

    Toms hardware guide has a soso review on these printers. What is most
    useful are the images of each printer's output giving a fair
    comparison. The text quality at 2point is very interesting.
    -Text @ 2point -
    http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20041025/images/ip4000_corps_2_big.jpg
    http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20041025/images/ip5000_corps_2_big.jpg
    http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20041229/images/ip8500_corps_2_big.jpg
    -Whole reviews with images-
    http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20041229/index.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20041025/index.html

    Stephan, If you haven't already done so, email me privately for my Epson
    Cleaning Manual. I make no guarantees but the instructions may help you
    to resurrect your printer at little to no cost.

    The manual is free of charge, the cleaning product are usually available
    at your local grocery, and it is probably worth the try.

    You can contact me via my email address from this email, just mention
    the model and problems.

    Art

    In article <d80n7e$j6n$1@otis.netspace.net.au>, steph777@netspace.net.au
    (Stephan Carydakis) wrote:

    > I would like to buy a new printer and was wondering what folks would
    > suggest.

    You've had a reply from measekite@juno.com. Suggest you check on his
    history in the conference before evaluating his response.

    Jon.

    Yes I am surge protected on all devices.

    "Shooter" <photoman52003-shoot@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Sounds like a power surge, did you have the printer protected.
    >
    > "Stephan Carydakis" <steph777@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I have recently had a bad experience with an Epson printer. Its a Photo
    > > Stylus 915 I purchased about 20 months ago. About 3 months ago I changed
    > the
    > > colour cartridge(genuine) for the first time and it wouldn't print any
    > > yellow. I did the recommended things - multiple clean cycles etc. I also
    > > sprayed some Windex on the pad thingy and left it over night. It then
    > > wouldn't print anything at all. I may have killed it! It sat there for a
    > > couple of months and I recently decided to take it in for a quote. Ends
    up
    > > not only is the print head dead but the main board is gone too. A trash
    > > case!
    > >
    > > Anyways, I would like to buy a new printer and was wondering what folks
    > > would suggest. I don't want to spend more than $400 (AUD) and I wouldn't
    > > mind direct to CD label printing.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Stephan Carydakis.

    Hi,

    Thanks for the info.

    I have looked at the iP5000 ($285) and the iP8500 ($485). I'm definitely
    leaning to the 5000 as this seems to be good enough for what I will be doing
    most of the time. I suppose the main difference will be quality of image and
    with the extra colours, better colour matching? I also notice the 8500 is
    slow for it's price but apparently because quality is the main aim of this
    printer.

    Yep, the 3000 is $249 RRP in Australia.

    I might check out HP's as well although you say they don't have direct to CD
    printing. I'll go check them out.

    Steph.

    "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > $66 or so US or roughly AUD$87 or AUD$60 if I get the rebate. I
    > think it's triple the price where you live. Because the US models
    > don't officaly support CD printing the cost is much less. My first
    > impression is the Epson had better out of the box color accuracy, but
    > have yet to tweek with it. Not overly fond of the black on this, and I
    > might have been wiser buying at least the iP4000. I'm not fond of the
    > black background with white text with smaller fonts.
    >
    > The MP760 is based on the iP4000 engine, so it has your pigmented and
    > dye based black. I have not enabled CD printing on it yet, still need
    > the manual to found out how. Even without CD printing the 35mm
    > scanner is very useful. First impression is pretty good, though out of
    > the box I found it's reproduction of sky blue closer to a dark
    > periwinkle but I'm told they lean tward red and this can be adjusted.

    If text and business document is less important than photo results than
    look at the IP4000. Somewhat better photo results over the IP5000 and
    faster.

    Stephan Carydakis wrote:

> [...]
    >>$66 or so US or roughly AUD$87 or AUD$60 if I get the rebate. I
    >>think it's triple the price where you live. Because the US models
    >>don't officaly support CD printing the cost is much less. My first
    >>impression is the Epson had better out of the box color accuracy, but
    >>have yet to tweek with it. Not overly fond of the black on this, and I
    >>might have been wiser buying at least the iP4000. I'm not fond of the
    >>black background with white text with smaller fonts.
    >>
    >>The MP760 is based on the iP4000 engine, so it has your pigmented and
    >>dye based black. I have not enabled CD printing on it yet, still need
    >>the manual to found out how. Even without CD printing the 35mm
    >>scanner is very useful. First impression is pretty good, though out of
    >>the box I found it's reproduction of sky blue closer to a dark
    >>periwinkle but I'm told they lean tward red and this can be adjusted.

    Hey thanks everyone for your time and information. I am about to run through
    the suggestions in Arthur's manual and if I my printer doesn't do a Lazarus,
    I will be purchasing a Canon PIXMA 5000.

Printers Epson Peripherals Product