Win2KAS Quantums and need help with granularity of services

I am running win2k advance server and we have a game
server running off of it, it's called Operation
Flashpoint, and we are having a slight problem with the
granularity of services

basically the game server should announce 50 FPS in game
but it only shows 32, apperantly we need to change the
32ms to 20 to gain the timings back, this apparently does
not happen on linux based systems, win98, and some version
of win2k -win NT does this as well and there is a fix here
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/info/nt5.shtml
called Win2K Quantums but this is out dated and is only
good for Win NT 4

so does any one know of any thing else that may help?

Quote from Suma - the game designer
-----------------------
The server code use OS thread shedulling services to cap
the fps. It depends on the granularity of this services
what fps you can reach. If the granularity is 20 ms, you
should be able to run 50 fps.

You can find some more Win32 information about this on

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/info/nt5.shtml

It seems quantum on W2K Server defaults to 36 ms, while it
defaults below 20 ms on W2K Pro. When you set Quantum to
Variable/Short, you may be able to get higher server fps.

Edit: Interesting reading is also http://www.wideman-
one.com/gw/tech/dataacq/skedgran/skedgran.htm - this shows
how can timeBeginPeriod (which is a system-wide call) be
used to improve the precision of the Sleep API.

Hi Nicholas,

I'm by no means an expert in this subject matter of Quantums and/or
performance, but I'll try to assist you to the best of my ability. Have you
tried to view or modify these options in Windows 2000, click Start, point to
Settings, click Control Panel, double-click System, click the Advanced tab,
and then click Performance Options?

259025 Description of Performance Options in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=259025

--
Hope this helps,
Mike Rosado

<http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm>

> I am running win2k advance server and we have a game
> server running off of it, it's called Operation
> Flashpoint, and we are having a slight problem with the
> granularity of services
>
> basically the game server should announce 50 FPS in game
> but it only shows 32, apperantly we need to change the
> 32ms to 20 to gain the timings back, this apparently does
> not happen on linux based systems, win98, and some version
> of win2k -win NT does this as well and there is a fix here
> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/info/nt5.shtml
> called Win2K Quantums but this is out dated and is only
> good for Win NT 4
>
> so does any one know of any thing else that may help?
>

> Quote from Suma - the game designer
> -----------------------
> The server code use OS thread shedulling services to cap
> the fps. It depends on the granularity of this services
> what fps you can reach. If the granularity is 20 ms, you
> should be able to run 50 fps.
>
> You can find some more Win32 information about this on
>
> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/info/nt5.shtml
>
> It seems quantum on W2K Server defaults to 36 ms, while it
> defaults below 20 ms on W2K Pro. When you set Quantum to
> Variable/Short, you may be able to get higher server fps.
>
> Edit: Interesting reading is also http://www.wideman-
> one.com/gw/tech/dataacq/skedgran/skedgran.htm - this shows
> how can timeBeginPeriod (which is a system-wide call) be
> used to improve the precision of the Sleep API.

TRENDING THREADS