Help, Newbie here. Strength and Endurance decrease, why? D..

Last response: in Video Games
November 16, 2004 5:25:29 PM

Hi Everyone,
I started reading thru the back messages, but I've played so much MW
xbox in the last two days, my eyeballs are fried to the back of my
head. I'm usually not into RPGs, but my grandson gave MW a great game
raing, so I bought the "thing" for my xbox. The "thing" got me
addicted. So question is, can I restore my strength and endurance.
They are dimmed because of some spell? And I can't carry much now.
I have managed to get to L8 thru hack and slash, and a couple of magic
items that I can't figure out how to use exactly. The booklet with
the game is poor for someone like me with no RPG background.
I'm currently in Vivec roaming around looking for fights below the
temples. If I get an answer to all of this, I may even ask another
question. <g> BTW, I enjoyed reading thru some of the back messages.
Lot's of good thoughts.

El Boa <interesting handle I thought up, If I can learn the mechanics
of spell casting, etc. I think my next go at MW will be as a thief.
But that may be years away considering the size of MW.

El Boa
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 11:30:08 PM

Well, to start off your best resource is the internet, don't buy the guide
book unless you want to know everything, except what and how to do/use
anything.

Um... you need a potion of "FORTIFY xxxxxxxxx" where the x's = what ever
stat was drained. Try to find Balmora (west side of map, kinda in the
middle vertically) the map shows it like this xxx

and look for caius casidies if you have not already, he will tell you where
to go and what to do. other than that, have fun and save often (use
multiple save slots too). and ask away for what ever you want, I know
little but I have a big mouth and others here will correct me when I'm
wrong.... :)

"El Boa" <Someone@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone,
> I started reading thru the back messages, but I've played so much MW
> xbox in the last two days, my eyeballs are fried to the back of my
> head. I'm usually not into RPGs, but my grandson gave MW a great game
> raing, so I bought the "thing" for my xbox. The "thing" got me
> addicted. So question is, can I restore my strength and endurance.
> They are dimmed because of some spell? And I can't carry much now.
> I have managed to get to L8 thru hack and slash, and a couple of magic
> items that I can't figure out how to use exactly. The booklet with
> the game is poor for someone like me with no RPG background.
> I'm currently in Vivec roaming around looking for fights below the
> temples. If I get an answer to all of this, I may even ask another
> question. <g> BTW, I enjoyed reading thru some of the back messages.
> Lot's of good thoughts.
>
> El Boa <interesting handle I thought up, If I can learn the mechanics
> of spell casting, etc. I think my next go at MW will be as a thief.
> But that may be years away considering the size of MW.
>
> El Boa
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 11:45:02 PM

"El Boa" <Someone@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone,
> I started reading thru the back messages, but I've played so much MW
> xbox in the last two days, my eyeballs are fried to the back of my
> head. I'm usually not into RPGs, but my grandson gave MW a great game
> raing, so I bought the "thing" for my xbox. The "thing" got me
> addicted. So question is, can I restore my strength and endurance.
> They are dimmed because of some spell? And I can't carry much now.
> I have managed to get to L8 thru hack and slash, and a couple of magic
> items that I can't figure out how to use exactly. The booklet with
> the game is poor for someone like me with no RPG background.
> I'm currently in Vivec roaming around looking for fights below the
> temples. If I get an answer to all of this, I may even ask another
> question. <g> BTW, I enjoyed reading thru some of the back messages.
> Lot's of good thoughts.
>
> El Boa <interesting handle I thought up, If I can learn the mechanics
> of spell casting, etc. I think my next go at MW will be as a thief.
> But that may be years away considering the size of MW.

You'll be an addict within days :)

To restore attributes, you can visit an imperial or temple shrine and take
it's blessings, use "restore" potions for the matching attribute, or use
"restore" spells in the same way. If it is a disease of some kind (a red
icon in the bottom right - hover the mouse over it if there is one) you can
use cure disease/blight/poison in the form of spells/potions/scrolls, or
again, use shrines.

(i hope that confusing blabble made sense)

It IS a huge game and when you're starting out it's easy to get lost in the
middle of nowhere. Make sure you pay attention to your maps and learn the
routes.
It will take a fair while to learn where you are and what you are doing, but
once you do you'll be a happier human. It was the first RPG i really got
into (unless you want to count deus ex).

Good luck.

Feel free to ask away, but if it's a question that could spoil the game for
someone else, make sure you mark it as a spoiler :o )

--
-----

Cookie McCrumble

cookiemccrumble"at"hotmail"dot"com
www.whateverhappenedtomysocks.co.uk

I like pie

Winamp: Signal Terminated.
November 17, 2004 3:34:55 AM

From reading some more back messages on restore.
I found a web site that pointed to ygfa in Ft. Pologiod.
Had to buy at two different sessions to get enough,
but I'm fully restored. Sigh of relief! <g> Thanks!!
Now back to Vivec to look for more trouble. Ha.

Thanks again,
El Boa

I'm not sure how to string all the messages together, so I copied
and pasted the following from Cookie McCrumble. Thanks.

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:30:08 GMT, "finndo" <finndo@sc.rr.com> wrote:

>Well, to start off your best resource is the internet, don't buy the guide
>book unless you want to know everything, except what and how to do/use
>anything.
>
>Um... you need a potion of "FORTIFY xxxxxxxxx" where the x's = what ever
>stat was drained. Try to find Balmora (west side of map, kinda in the
>middle vertically) the map shows it like this xxx

>and look for caius casidies if you have not already, he will tell you where
>to go and what to do. other than that, have fun and save often (use
>multiple save slots too). and ask away for what ever you want, I know
>little but I have a big mouth and others here will correct me when I'm
>wrong.... :)
>

>"El Boa" <Someone@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> Hi Everyone,
>> I started reading thru the back messages, but I've played so much MW
>> xbox in the last two days, my eyeballs are fried to the back of my
>> head. I'm usually not into RPGs, but my grandson gave MW a great game
>> raing, so I bought the "thing" for my xbox. The "thing" got me
>> addicted. So question is, can I restore my strength and endurance.
>> They are dimmed because of some spell? And I can't carry much now.
>> I have managed to get to L8 thru hack and slash, and a couple of magic
>> items that I can't figure out how to use exactly. The booklet with
>> the game is poor for someone like me with no RPG background.
>> I'm currently in Vivec roaming around looking for fights below the
>> temples. If I get an answer to all of this, I may even ask another
>> question. <g> BTW, I enjoyed reading thru some of the back messages.
>> Lot's of good thoughts.
>>
>> El Boa <interesting handle I thought up, If I can learn the mechanics
>> of spell casting, etc. I think my next go at MW will be as a thief.
>> But that may be years away considering the size of MW.
>>
>> El Boa

Anonymous
November 17, 2004 8:11:43 PM

"El Boa" <Someone@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone,
> I started reading thru the back messages, but I've played so much MW
> xbox in the last two days, my eyeballs are fried to the back of my
> head. I'm usually not into RPGs, but my grandson gave MW a great game
> raing, so I bought the "thing" for my xbox. The "thing" got me
> addicted. So question is, can I restore my strength and endurance.
> They are dimmed because of some spell? And I can't carry much now.
> I have managed to get to L8 thru hack and slash, and a couple of magic
> items that I can't figure out how to use exactly. The booklet with
> the game is poor for someone like me with no RPG background.
> I'm currently in Vivec roaming around looking for fights below the
> temples. If I get an answer to all of this, I may even ask another
> question. <g> BTW, I enjoyed reading thru some of the back messages.
> Lot's of good thoughts.
>
> El Boa <interesting handle I thought up, If I can learn the mechanics
> of spell casting, etc. I think my next go at MW will be as a thief.
> But that may be years away considering the size of MW.
>
> El Boa

Easiest thing to do is get yourself to a tribunal or imperial cult shrine
(divine intervention or almsivi intervention being the quickest way)... take
off all your clothes, rings, amulets etc - as if anything you're wearing is
adding to your stats then they won't be restored fully... Now just use the
altar to restore yourself... put kit back on and you should be back to
normal.
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 9:16:41 PM

I'm going to ammend this statement:

> Well, to start off your best resource is the internet, don't buy the guide
> book.

Guide books for games are the biggest waste of money I've ever seen. First
of all, there's nothing you can learn from an "official" guide book that
isn't already given away for free on dozens of websites devoted the game.
(And this applies to pretty much any game.) Second, guide books are often
published or at least written BEFORE a game is released, and many times
changes are made to the game before its release or through later patches
which are not reflected in the guide books. Websites (at least the good
ones) are updated regularly, and are far more accurate. Finally, websites
just have more info in general. "Official" guide books are often under
contract with the game developper not to release ALL the innermost secrets
of the game. Plus, they're limited by how much they can fit on a given
number of pages. Independant websites have no such restrictions, though if
you're worried about spoilers, most of the good ones at least make a point
of warning you about them in advance. So if you had to choose between
paying for a limited, potentially inaccurate, commercially-driven book and
any of several completely free, regularly updated, and far more in-depth
guides on the internet, which would you choose? (Oh, and if you insist on
having a paper copy, there's things called "printers" and "ink". Yes, these
cost money too, but in the long run, it's far less than you'd spend wasting
it on the book...)
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 2:22:10 AM

Darrel Hoffman wrote:

> I'm going to ammend this statement:
>

>>Well, to start off your best resource is the internet, don't buy the guide
>>book.
>

> Guide books for games are the biggest waste of money I've ever seen. First
> of all, there's nothing you can learn from an "official" guide book that
> isn't already given away for free on dozens of websites devoted the game.
> (And this applies to pretty much any game.) Second, guide books are often
> published or at least written BEFORE a game is released, and many times
> changes are made to the game before its release or through later patches
> which are not reflected in the guide books. Websites (at least the good
> ones) are updated regularly, and are far more accurate. Finally, websites
> just have more info in general. "Official" guide books are often under
> contract with the game developper not to release ALL the innermost secrets
> of the game. Plus, they're limited by how much they can fit on a given
> number of pages. Independant websites have no such restrictions, though if
> you're worried about spoilers, most of the good ones at least make a point
> of warning you about them in advance. So if you had to choose between
> paying for a limited, potentially inaccurate, commercially-driven book and
> any of several completely free, regularly updated, and far more in-depth
> guides on the internet, which would you choose? (Oh, and if you insist on
> having a paper copy, there's things called "printers" and "ink". Yes, these
> cost money too, but in the long run, it's far less than you'd spend wasting
> it on the book...)

Not all guidebooks are worthless. I used one with Daggerfall and found
it a great deal of help. It included maps of some of the key dungeons
that would be impossible to use on a web page. Plus it had a lot of
information on guilds, holidays, etc. that were far easier to find than
trying to surf the web for the information when needed.
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 8:27:55 AM

Oh I agree that there are plenty of good guides available, and even the TES
guides have good info in them, but normally you want something specific like
a list of herbs to combine, well if you had then in say an excel sheet, you
could resort them in various ways to make it easier to find good
combination, where as the list in the guide for Morrowind was very un
useful, especially since you had to turn the page to see them all. not to
mention the ones that have an ability you cannot use due to no other herb
having the same effect.

I have more to say, but I gotta go get some sleep now...

"Michael W. Ryder" <mwryder@_worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Darrel Hoffman wrote:
>
>> I'm going to ammend this statement:
>>

>>>Well, to start off your best resource is the internet, don't buy the
>>>guide
>>>book.
>>

>> Guide books for games are the biggest waste of money I've ever seen.
>> First
>> of all, there's nothing you can learn from an "official" guide book that
>> isn't already given away for free on dozens of websites devoted the game.
>> (And this applies to pretty much any game.) Second, guide books are
>> often
>> published or at least written BEFORE a game is released, and many times
>> changes are made to the game before its release or through later patches
>> which are not reflected in the guide books. Websites (at least the good
>> ones) are updated regularly, and are far more accurate. Finally,
>> websites
>> just have more info in general. "Official" guide books are often under
>> contract with the game developper not to release ALL the innermost
>> secrets
>> of the game. Plus, they're limited by how much they can fit on a given
>> number of pages. Independant websites have no such restrictions, though
>> if
>> you're worried about spoilers, most of the good ones at least make a
>> point
>> of warning you about them in advance. So if you had to choose between
>> paying for a limited, potentially inaccurate, commercially-driven book
>> and
>> any of several completely free, regularly updated, and far more in-depth
>> guides on the internet, which would you choose? (Oh, and if you insist
>> on
>> having a paper copy, there's things called "printers" and "ink". Yes,
>> these
>> cost money too, but in the long run, it's far less than you'd spend
>> wasting
>> it on the book...)
>>

> Not all guidebooks are worthless. I used one with Daggerfall and found it
> a great deal of help. It included maps of some of the key dungeons that
> would be impossible to use on a web page. Plus it had a lot of
> information on guilds, holidays, etc. that were far easier to find than
> trying to surf the web for the information when needed.
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 12:08:41 PM

Thanks everyone. I had already bought a guide book thru eBay
before I had posted the original message. It came in after the
original post, but the answers here were more to the point as
the guide is over 300 pages. From a newbie perspective on
this fantastic game, and RPGs in general, the guide seems to
be useful after I have tried everything I can think of trying
and getting to the point of despair. <g> I think the maps are
good occasionally, but I find the built in mapping system to be
more useful. I enjoy climbing over the mountains, and exploring,
taking on any critters that want to tangle. While the internet
can be more precise and interactive, the guide book is always
there for the moment when one wants instance gratification. LOL
Of course, the drawback to the guide book is to be too dependent
on it. Ummm, it could ruin the fun.

Well I'm up to level 12 and on the way to see the wise woman.
I ran into three wizard types, who wanted to fry me, but I
just kinda' sidestepped their magic until I was closed enough to
feed them a long silver blade.

El Boa

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 05:27:55 GMT, "finndo" <finndo@sc.rr.com> wrote:

>Oh I agree that there are plenty of good guides available, and even the TES
>guides have good info in them, but normally you want something specific like
>a list of herbs to combine, well if you had then in say an excel sheet, you
>could resort them in various ways to make it easier to find good
>combination, where as the list in the guide for Morrowind was very un
>useful, especially since you had to turn the page to see them all. not to
>mention the ones that have an ability you cannot use due to no other herb
>having the same effect.
>
>I have more to say, but I gotta go get some sleep now...
>
>"Michael W. Ryder" <mwryder@_worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> Darrel Hoffman wrote:
>>
>>> I'm going to ammend this statement:

>>> Guide books for games are the biggest waste of money I've ever seen.
>>> First
>>> of all, there's nothing you can learn from an "official" guide book that
>>> isn't already given away for free on dozens of websites devoted the game.
>>> (And this applies to pretty much any game.) Second, guide books are
>>> often
>>> published or at least written BEFORE a game is released, and many times
>>> changes are made to the game before its release or through later patches
>>> which are not reflected in the guide books. Websites (at least the good
>>> ones) are updated regularly, and are far more accurate. Finally,
>>> websites
>>> just have more info in general. "Official" guide books are often under
>>> contract with the game developper not to release ALL the innermost
>>> secrets
>>> of the game. Plus, they're limited by how much they can fit on a given
>>> number of pages. Independant websites have no such restrictions, though
>>> if
>>> you're worried about spoilers, most of the good ones at least make a
>>> point
>>> of warning you about them in advance. So if you had to choose between
>>> paying for a limited, potentially inaccurate, commercially-driven book
>>> and
>>> any of several completely free, regularly updated, and far more in-depth
>>> guides on the internet, which would you choose? (Oh, and if you insist
>>> on
>>> having a paper copy, there's things called "printers" and "ink". Yes,
>>> these
>>> cost money too, but in the long run, it's far less than you'd spend
>>> wasting
>>> it on the book...)
>>>

>> Not all guidebooks are worthless. I used one with Daggerfall and found it
>> a great deal of help. It included maps of some of the key dungeons that
>> would be impossible to use on a web page. Plus it had a lot of
>> information on guilds, holidays, etc. that were far easier to find than
>> trying to surf the web for the information when needed.

Anonymous
November 21, 2004 12:13:49 PM

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:11:43 GMT, "Earth Angel" <none@none.nonenone>
wrote:

>"El Boa" <Someone@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> Hi Everyone,
>> I started reading thru the back messages, but I've played so much MW
>> xbox in the last two days, my eyeballs are fried to the back of my
>> head. I'm usually not into RPGs, but my grandson gave MW a great game
>> raing, so I bought the "thing" for my xbox. The "thing" got me
>> addicted. So question is, can I restore my strength and endurance.
>> They are dimmed because of some spell? And I can't carry much now.
>> I have managed to get to L8 thru hack and slash, and a couple of magic
>> items that I can't figure out how to use exactly. The booklet with
>> the game is poor for someone like me with no RPG background.
>> I'm currently in Vivec roaming around looking for fights below the
>> temples. If I get an answer to all of this, I may even ask another
>> question. <g> BTW, I enjoyed reading thru some of the back messages.
>> Lot's of good thoughts.
>>
>> El Boa <interesting handle I thought up, If I can learn the mechanics
>> of spell casting, etc. I think my next go at MW will be as a thief.
>> But that may be years away considering the size of MW.
>>
>> El Boa
>
>Easiest thing to do is get yourself to a tribunal or imperial cult shrine
>(divine intervention or almsivi intervention being the quickest way)... take
>off all your clothes, rings, amulets etc - as if anything you're wearing is
>adding to your stats then they won't be restored fully... Now just use the
>altar to restore yourself... put kit back on and you should be back to
>normal.

I picked up a couple of those scrolls. I have not tried them yet, so
I will have to do some experimenting. Are they a one way trip,
and if so, can you use a second one to go back where you were?
Or it it used mainly to "get me out of here?"

El Boa
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 9:06:05 PM

> I picked up a couple of those scrolls. I have not tried them yet, so
> I will have to do some experimenting. Are they a one way trip,
> and if so, can you use a second one to go back where you were?

One way only. However, you can learn the Mark and Recall spells. So when
you are in trouble but want to return to that spot again, cast a Mark
spell. Next divine/almsivi-intervention out, get yourself fixed up, and
cast Recall to get back again.
Mark/Recall is extremely useful, and not too difficult to cast so it
should be usable for a non-mage character. In case train a bit Mysticism
if needed, well worth the cash.
Also learn Almsivi/Divine Intervention spells, so you don't depend on
the cast-once scrolls.

> Or it it used mainly to "get me out of here?"

Exactly. You actually can never tell where exactly you arrive, but the
point is, you arrive in some civilized area in any case.

They are not only useful for "get me out of here", but also for
non-emergency transportation. For example, you are in Balmora and want
to go to Ebonheart. Of course, you can take the silt-strider or Mages
guild guide to Vivec and then the boat to Ebonheart. But you can also
travel to Vivec and then cast Divine Intervention which brings you to
Ebonheart instantly, saving lots of running. Or need to get to Pelagiad
but too tired to run all the way from Balmora? Take the silt-strider to
Seyda Neen and then a Divine Intervention to Pelagiad. Much less walking.
It needs a bit experience to figure out some useful intervention
shortcuts. Just experiment with it.

Peter
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 12:14:19 AM

> They are not only useful for "get me out of here", but also for
> non-emergency transportation. For example, you are in Balmora and want
> to go to Ebonheart. Of course, you can take the silt-strider or Mages
> guild guide to Vivec and then the boat to Ebonheart. But you can also
> travel to Vivec and then cast Divine Intervention which brings you to
> Ebonheart instantly, saving lots of running. Or need to get to Pelagiad
> but too tired to run all the way from Balmora? Take the silt-strider to
> Seyda Neen and then a Divine Intervention to Pelagiad. Much less walking.
> It needs a bit experience to figure out some useful intervention
> shortcuts. Just experiment with it.

Damn, forgot about that... I was making a guide for the best travel
strategies to get from any one city to any other, and I was only including
cities with striders, ships, and mages' guilds. Forgot that you could use
interventions in this way as well. (Pelagiad is one of the few major cities
that doesn't have any other means of quick transport.)

My current system has no more than 3 hops to get from any city to any other
city, with the single exception of Gnaar Mok to Vos, which requires 4.
(Though the last trip from Tel Mora to Vos hardly counts, it's actually
quicker just to swim in that case.) But still, I think I could cut down on
the hops if I include intervention. Though, I still can't seem to get from
Gnaar Mok to Vos in less than 4 hops. My old route was: Gnaar Mok, ship to
Khuul, ship to Dagon Fel, ship to Tel Mora, ship to Vos. Using
intervention, you could do: Gnaar Mok, Almsivi to Balmora, guild guide to
Sadrith Mora, ship to Tel Mora, ship to Vos, still 4 hops, though it's
cheaper, since Almsivi is free and guild guides are less expensive than
ships, but when your cash on hand is in the 6-digit range, you don't even
need to think about stuff like that anymore...

I think the only way to make it shorter would be to have a Mark spell cast
somewhere central, like say, Ghostgate. Well, not Ghostgate, as both Divine
and Almsivi would get you to Ald-Ruhn from there, I think. Or would Almsivi
just put you in the Ghostgate temple? Either way, not very useful. I
currently have my Mark sitting next to the Mudcrab merchant, so I can visit
him regularly and sell off my extra expensive stuff. From there, Divine
gets you to Ebonheart, and Almsivi goes to Molag Mar, or I can go just a
little bit east and Almsivi will go to Vivec instead. All in all, a pretty
decent location, though it would be really nice if you could have more than
one Mark, and Recall would just bring you to the closest, maybe, or give you
a choice of which you want to go to...

Wondering if I should include Propylon chambers as well, though so far I've
only found one index (Falensarano), and none of those fortresses have any
other means of transportation to get to them, only the interventions to get
away from them.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 5:17:30 AM

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:06:05 +0100, Peter Strempel
<peterstrempel@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> I picked up a couple of those scrolls. I have not tried them yet, so
>> I will have to do some experimenting. Are they a one way trip,
>> and if so, can you use a second one to go back where you were?
>
>One way only. However, you can learn the Mark and Recall spells. So when
>you are in trouble but want to return to that spot again, cast a Mark
>spell. Next divine/almsivi-intervention out, get yourself fixed up, and
>cast Recall to get back again.
>Mark/Recall is extremely useful, and not too difficult to cast so it
>should be usable for a non-mage character. In case train a bit Mysticism
>if needed, well worth the cash.
>Also learn Almsivi/Divine Intervention spells, so you don't depend on
>the cast-once scrolls.
>

>> Or it it used mainly to "get me out of here?"
>
>Exactly. You actually can never tell where exactly you arrive, but the
>point is, you arrive in some civilized area in any case.
>
>They are not only useful for "get me out of here", but also for
>non-emergency transportation. For example, you are in Balmora and want
>to go to Ebonheart. Of course, you can take the silt-strider or Mages
>guild guide to Vivec and then the boat to Ebonheart. But you can also
>travel to Vivec and then cast Divine Intervention which brings you to
>Ebonheart instantly, saving lots of running. Or need to get to Pelagiad
>but too tired to run all the way from Balmora? Take the silt-strider to
>Seyda Neen and then a Divine Intervention to Pelagiad. Much less walking.
>It needs a bit experience to figure out some useful intervention
>shortcuts. Just experiment with it.
>

>Peter

Thanks for the pointers, Peter.

I need to start working on the learning of spells, both learning
to cast them and to make them. I "think" I have learned so
far that you can't be holding a shield and weapon to cast a
spell. Sometimes, trying, I just swing a fist. Ha, not sure
what is going on there. Other times, I can see just my
hands with the fingers pointing out. Then, "I think" I can
cast spells. Since I have trouble with this, it is no
wonder my spell casting ability is poor. "Use it or lose it",
they say. Another thing I need to find out about is what
all I need to make a spell. The mechanics of it, not
the ingredients.

El Boa
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 12:18:31 PM

"Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message news:<2padnXHuM4SO1zzcRVn-hQ@giganews.com>...
> .....> Damn, forgot about that... I was making a guide for the best travel
> strategies to get from any one city to any other, and I was only including
> cities with striders, ships, and mages' guilds. Forgot that you could use
> interventions in this way as well. (Pelagiad is one of the few major cities
> that doesn't have any other means of quick transport.)
>
> My current system has no more than 3 hops to get from any city to any other
> city, with the single exception of Gnaar Mok to Vos, which requires 4.

I use interventions a lot. For me the "best" route can vary with
things like how much game time it takes (if, say, you want to arrive
during daylight or take up night hours), how much hassle it is
(turning around at a boat dock is less hassle than, say, going from
mages guild in vivec to the boat docs), and how sure I am I'll end up
where I want. For example, to go from the mage's guild in Vivec to
Ebonhardt I will first Almisive to the temple then divine to the cult
because sometimes a divine takes you to Ebonhardt and sometimes it
takes you to Pelagiad. Hmm, as much as I go to Pelagiad this game,
maybe I should experiment and find out where the "line" between the
two destinations is.......

On the PC version, you can get the Bethesda plug in Master Index
quest that let's you transport around all the Propolyn places plus
Caldera.....but I rarely finish that quest.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 1:54:13 PM

Darrel Hoffman wrote:

> Damn, forgot about that... I was making a guide for the best travel
> strategies to get from any one city to any other, and I was only including
> cities with striders, ships, and mages' guilds. Forgot that you could use
> interventions in this way as well. (Pelagiad is one of the few major cities
> that doesn't have any other means of quick transport.)

I've found in my game DI especially is kinda random where it sends you,
eg from Vivec sometimes DI gets me to Ebonheart and sometimes Pelagiad,
which is annoying.

> though it would be really nice if you could have more than
> one Mark, and Recall would just bring you to the closest, maybe, or give you
> a choice of which you want to go to...

Try the MultiMark mod, works a treat for this (but conflicts with
SellnSail Gallion and also I think with Mobile Base).

> Wondering if I should include Propylon chambers as well, though so far I've
> only found one index (Falensarano), and none of those fortresses have any
> other means of transportation to get to them, only the interventions to get
> away from them.

Still haven't figured out how these work, I've got two indexes but have
no idea how to use them. Can anyone help with this?
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 10:07:16 PM

> Thanks for the pointers, Peter.
>
> I need to start working on the learning of spells, both learning
> to cast them and to make them. I "think" I have learned so
> far that you can't be holding a shield and weapon to cast a
> spell. Sometimes, trying, I just swing a fist. Ha, not sure
> what is going on there. Other times, I can see just my
> hands with the fingers pointing out. Then, "I think" I can
> cast spells. Since I have trouble with this, it is no
> wonder my spell casting ability is poor. "Use it or lose it",
> they say. Another thing I need to find out about is what
> all I need to make a spell. The mechanics of it, not
> the ingredients.

I have items to do all this stuff. I've got Amulets for Almsivi and Divine
Intervention, as well as Mark and Recall. (Forget where I found them, but
they weren't that hard to get.) No need to have any talent at spell-casting
when you've got items to do it for you. And if you can't get those items,
intervention scrolls are cheap and easily available at many magic vendors
and temples.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 10:40:59 PM

Pete MC wrote:

> I've found in my game DI especially is kinda random where it sends you,
> eg from Vivec sometimes DI gets me to Ebonheart and sometimes Pelagiad,
> which is annoying.

Not random. If you stand at a given coordinate, you will always be sent
to the same target. However, it's quite possible that one part of Vivec
sends you to Ebonheart, the other to Pelagiad. Vivec is large and
consists of several cells. But from the same cell you are always sent to
the same location.

> Still haven't figured out how these work, I've got two indexes but have
> no idea how to use them. Can anyone help with this?

In unmodded Morrowind, you can travel between two propylon chambers with
a given index. You can find something like 8 (or so) indices and would
need to carry all of them for proper usage. However, there is an
official mod by Bethedsa called "Master Index", which makes propyleon
chambers much more attractive and useful. The mod is available at the
Bethedsa webpage and embedded into the game as a quest for the Mages
Guild in Caldera. There is basically no good reason not to get this mod,
even for the "I want to play Morrowind without mods the first time"
guys, as it does nothing besides adding a master propyleon index.

Peter
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 1:48:24 AM

> In unmodded Morrowind, you can travel between two propylon chambers with
> a given index. You can find something like 8 (or so) indices and would
> need to carry all of them for proper usage. However, there is an
> official mod by Bethedsa called "Master Index", which makes propyleon
> chambers much more attractive and useful. The mod is available at the
> Bethedsa webpage and embedded into the game as a quest for the Mages
> Guild in Caldera. There is basically no good reason not to get this mod,
> even for the "I want to play Morrowind without mods the first time"
> guys, as it does nothing besides adding a master propyleon index.

I count 11:

Andasreth
Berandas
Falasmaryon
Falensarano
Hlormaron
Indoranyon
Kogoruhn
Marandus
Rotheran
Telasero
Valenvaryon

Though I'm not sure there's a Propylon Chamber at Kogoruhn. Surprising that
as long as I've been playing, I've still only found one index, and that was
NOT on a quest-related trip, just me exploring some place I probably wasn't
supposed to go yet. (The Daedric ruins west of Sadrith Mora, but I had to
get in the secret way through the tomb on the next island over.) And even
when I got in, it was not easy to find, required quite a bit of flying and
paying close attention to stuff lying camoflaged on the ground. There's a
good chance I've walked right over some of the others and not known it.
They do hide those things well, which makes me think that perhaps having a
"Master Index" could be considered cheating in a way, as these things are
meant to be hard to find, and one index which can do the work of all of them
might be considered a bit unfair. Unless you're required to find all 11 (or
10) of them before you can acquire/use the Master Index. That would be
fair. It would then just basically be a way to save inventory space.
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 7:23:23 AM

>> In unmodded Morrowind, you can travel between two propylon chambers with
>> a given index. You can find something like 8 (or so) indices and would
>> need to carry all of them for proper usage. However, there is an
>> official mod by Bethedsa called "Master Index", which makes propyleon
>> chambers much more attractive and useful. The mod is available at the
>> Bethedsa webpage and embedded into the game as a quest for the Mages
>> Guild in Caldera. There is basically no good reason not to get this mod,
>> even for the "I want to play Morrowind without mods the first time"
>> guys, as it does nothing besides adding a master propyleon index.
>
> I count 11:
>
> Andasreth
> Berandas
> Falasmaryon
> Falensarano
> Hlormaron
> Indoranyon
> Kogoruhn
> Marandus
> Rotheran
> Telasero
> Valenvaryon
>
> Though I'm not sure there's a Propylon Chamber at Kogoruhn. Surprising
> that
> as long as I've been playing, I've still only found one index, and that
> was
> NOT on a quest-related trip, just me exploring some place I probably
> wasn't
> supposed to go yet. (The Daedric ruins west of Sadrith Mora, but I had to
> get in the secret way through the tomb on the next island over.) And even
> when I got in, it was not easy to find, required quite a bit of flying and
> paying close attention to stuff lying camoflaged on the ground. There's a
> good chance I've walked right over some of the others and not known it.
> They do hide those things well, which makes me think that perhaps having a
> "Master Index" could be considered cheating in a way, as these things are
> meant to be hard to find, and one index which can do the work of all of
> them
> might be considered a bit unfair. Unless you're required to find all 11
> (or
> 10) of them before you can acquire/use the Master Index. That would be
> fair. It would then just basically be a way to save inventory space.

there should be 10, as the mod states anyways ( I think). The quest
REQUIRES you to have all of them to create the "master" version, just to
save weight in your inv....
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 7:31:11 AM

> Thanks for the pointers, Peter.
>
> I need to start working on the learning of spells, both learning
> to cast them and to make them. I "think" I have learned so
> far that you can't be holding a shield and weapon to cast a
> spell. Sometimes, trying, I just swing a fist. Ha, not sure
> what is going on there. Other times, I can see just my
> hands with the fingers pointing out. Then, "I think" I can
> cast spells. Since I have trouble with this, it is no
> wonder my spell casting ability is poor. "Use it or lose it",
> they say. Another thing I need to find out about is what
> all I need to make a spell. The mechanics of it, not
> the ingredients.
>
> El Boa

okay, on the PC, hit R to "ready Magic" and F to ready weapons, then what
ever spell you clicked on last in your spell list (right click to bring up
all the inv type windows, then left click the spell/item name to select it,
then right click to make the windows go away. now with your fingers hanging
out (even if on weapons you have a sword and shield in hand) you left click
to cast the spell. To make a spell, you must know a spell that has the same
function. This is not done logically in morrowind. some spells if you know
"fortify speed" you can make a fortify strength spell instead of buying one
(although I believe bought spells cost less magicka than home made ones that
do the same thing, they are also more likely to succeed). HOWEVER if you
know damage strength, or whatever the name is, you cannot make a spell that
does damage speed. This means that to know how to make any kind of spell
(and every kind of spell) possible in the game you will have a spell list
that is soooo long you will never be able to find the spell you actually
want to cast, when you need it most. Mine is sooo long that when I need to
kill something, I just select the first spell (they are alphabetically
listed) that does damage. Which caused me to make spells that I found most
useful and name them "1", "2", "3", "4"..... and so on just so the ones I
used most often were readily accessible.
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 12:51:10 PM

Peter Strempel wrote:

> Pete MC wrote:
>
> > I've found in my game DI especially is kinda random where it sends you,
> > eg from Vivec sometimes DI gets me to Ebonheart and sometimes Pelagiad,
> > which is annoying.
>
> Not random. If you stand at a given coordinate, you will always be sent
> to the same target. However, it's quite possible that one part of Vivec
> sends you to Ebonheart, the other to Pelagiad. Vivec is large and
> consists of several cells. But from the same cell you are always sent to
> the same location.

Oh okay, I'll have to do some experimenting then, thanks.

> > Still haven't figured out how these work, I've got two indexes but have
> > no idea how to use them. Can anyone help with this?
>
> In unmodded Morrowind, you can travel between two propylon chambers with
> a given index. You can find something like 8 (or so) indices and would
> need to carry all of them for proper usage. However, there is an
> official mod by Bethedsa called "Master Index", which makes propyleon
> chambers much more attractive and useful. The mod is available at the
> Bethedsa webpage and embedded into the game as a quest for the Mages
> Guild in Caldera. There is basically no good reason not to get this mod,
> even for the "I want to play Morrowind without mods the first time"
> guys, as it does nothing besides adding a master propyleon index.

Yeah I've got that mod installed but have only found two of the indexes
so far, I wasn't sure how to use them individually.
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 1:10:26 PM

Pete MC wrote:

> Darrel Hoffman wrote:
>

>>Damn, forgot about that... I was making a guide for the best travel
>>strategies to get from any one city to any other, and I was only including
>>cities with striders, ships, and mages' guilds. Forgot that you could use
>>interventions in this way as well. (Pelagiad is one of the few major cities
>>that doesn't have any other means of quick transport.)
>

> I've found in my game DI especially is kinda random where it sends you,
> eg from Vivec sometimes DI gets me to Ebonheart and sometimes Pelagiad,
> which is annoying.
>

>>though it would be really nice if you could have more than
>>one Mark, and Recall would just bring you to the closest, maybe, or give you
>>a choice of which you want to go to...
>

> Try the MultiMark mod, works a treat for this (but conflicts with
> SellnSail Gallion and also I think with Mobile Base).
>

>>Wondering if I should include Propylon chambers as well, though so far I've
>>only found one index (Falensarano), and none of those fortresses have any
>>other means of transportation to get to them, only the interventions to get
>>away from them.
>

> Still haven't figured out how these work, I've got two indexes but have
> no idea how to use them. Can anyone help with this?

To use an index you have to see what destination a chamber is set to.
Then you use the corresponding index and you should be transported to
the destination chamber. It is a pain until you know chamber A goes to
chamber B and you have the correct indexes.
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 9:01:29 PM

> > Andasreth
> > Berandas
> > Falasmaryon
> > Falensarano
> > Hlormaron
> > Indoranyon
> > Kogoruhn
> > Marandus
> > Rotheran
> > Telasero
> > Valenvaryon
>
> there should be 10, as the mod states anyways ( I think). The quest
> REQUIRES you to have all of them to create the "master" version, just to
> save weight in your inv....

Okay, so I checked, and Kogoruhn doesn't have an index, so that would be the
exception. (It's a stone's throw from Falasmaryon anyhow, so you don't
really need it.) It's also the only one not labelled on the paper map, and
AFAIK the only one with an underground passage to get to the Red Mountain
region. I guess the mod is pretty good then, if you need to get all 10 in
order to make the Master index. Of course, since I've only found 1, it will
be a very long time I think before I can complete the set, so right now it
won't do me any good...
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 9:20:31 AM

Darrel Hoffman wrote:

> be a very long time I think before I can complete the set, so right now it
> won't do me any good...

If you install the mod, you are sent on quests by the mages guild to
recover the indices and are hinted where they are. So you don't need to
find all yourself.

"Go to foo and bring me the bar propyleon index."
Repeat.
Receive master index.

At least two of the indices I'd never find without an in-game pointer.
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 1:20:41 PM

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:01:29 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>Okay, so I checked, and Kogoruhn doesn't have an index, so that would be the
>exception. (It's a stone's throw from Falasmaryon anyhow, so you don't
>really need it.) It's also the only one not labelled on the paper map, and
>AFAIK the only one with an underground passage to get to the Red Mountain
>region. I guess the mod is pretty good then, if you need to get all 10 in
>order to make the Master index. Of course, since I've only found 1, it will
>be a very long time I think before I can complete the set, so right now it
>won't do me any good...

Kogoruhn doesn't have a propylon chamber. The person who gives you the
quest tells you where they may be found as you hand them in.
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 1:20:42 PM

> Kogoruhn doesn't have a propylon chamber. The person who gives you the
> quest tells you where they may be found as you hand them in.

Ah. See, I've never been given any quest regarding these. I just happened
to find one while randomly exploring. Maybe I'm not supposed to be there
yet, but heck, I can kill practically anything in 1-3 hits, so why not
explore?
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 6:49:01 PM

wrote:

>Okay, so I checked, and Kogoruhn doesn't have an index, so that would be the
>exception. (It's a stone's throw from Falasmaryon anyhow, so you don't
>really need it.) It's also the only one not labelled on the paper map, and
>AFAIK the only one with an underground passage to get to the Red Mountain
>region. I guess the mod is pretty good then, if you need to get all 10 in
>order to make the Master index. Of course, since I've only found 1, it will
>be a very long time I think before I can complete the set, so right now it
>won't do me any good...

If you're playing the >official Bethesda mod< your quest guide tells
you where to go and in what order and gives you some money for each. I
finished it with ease by level 10 so you should have no trouble.

As far as the paper map goes I can't find mine most of the time - it's
on my desk SOMEWHERE but the best way to describe my desk is "piled
higher and deeper"! (Same problem with Bloodmoon - I don't think there
was such a map for Tribunal)
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 9:10:38 PM

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 04:31:11 GMT, "finndo" <finndo@sc.rr.com> wrote:

>"El Boa" <Someone@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the pointers, Peter.
>>
>> I need to start working on the learning of spells, both learning
>> to cast them and to make them. I "think" I have learned so
>> far that you can't be holding a shield and weapon to cast a
>> spell. Sometimes, trying, I just swing a fist. Ha, not sure
>> what is going on there. Other times, I can see just my
>> hands with the fingers pointing out. Then, "I think" I can
>> cast spells. Since I have trouble with this, it is no
>> wonder my spell casting ability is poor. "Use it or lose it",
>> they say. Another thing I need to find out about is what
>> all I need to make a spell. The mechanics of it, not
>> the ingredients.
>>
>> El Boa
>
>okay, on the PC, hit R to "ready Magic" and F to ready weapons, then what
>ever spell you clicked on last in your spell list (right click to bring up
>all the inv type windows, then left click the spell/item name to select it,
>then right click to make the windows go away. now with your fingers hanging
>out (even if on weapons you have a sword and shield in hand) you left click
>to cast the spell. To make a spell, you must know a spell that has the same
>function. This is not done logically in morrowind. some spells if you know
>"fortify speed" you can make a fortify strength spell instead of buying one
>(although I believe bought spells cost less magicka than home made ones that
>do the same thing, they are also more likely to succeed). HOWEVER if you
>know damage strength, or whatever the name is, you cannot make a spell that
>does damage speed. This means that to know how to make any kind of spell
>(and every kind of spell) possible in the game you will have a spell list
>that is soooo long you will never be able to find the spell you actually
>want to cast, when you need it most. Mine is sooo long that when I need to
>kill something, I just select the first spell (they are alphabetically
>listed) that does damage. Which caused me to make spells that I found most
>useful and name them "1", "2", "3", "4"..... and so on just so the ones I
>used most often were readily accessible.

Thanks finndo,

I forgot to mention that I am using xBox. <g> I have learned how to
cast the magic though. I've yet to try making any, except I did try
and make one potion. And I have hammered a sword.

So my question is now, what do you need to be able to make
a spell yourself, and also to make a scroll? Part of the fun
of this game is learning how to do those things, and then be
watch for whatever is needed to accomplish the task.

Also, I hope to buy the pc version before long so I can start with
some mods. My only problem is trying up the pc, which is already
involved being tied up doing something else. Ah, the struggles
of life.

El Boa
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 11:28:29 PM

> If you're playing the >official Bethesda mod< your quest guide tells
> you where to go and in what order and gives you some money for each. I
> finished it with ease by level 10 so you should have no trouble.

I probably just haven't gotten to that quest yet. I tend to go off and
explore on my own more often than following the quests sometimes. As a
result, of course, I'm now going back to do quests and finding them
unbelievably easy, since they were intended for a much lower-level
character. I'm at Lvl 40 now, so practically everything dies as soon as I
look at it. Thinking it might be time to start a new character, just to
make the game challenging again, but I like this guy, and I feel like I
should take it as far as he can go...

> As far as the paper map goes I can't find mine most of the time - it's
> on my desk SOMEWHERE but the best way to describe my desk is "piled
> higher and deeper"! (Same problem with Bloodmoon - I don't think there
> was such a map for Tribunal)

I have the GOTY edition, which has all 3 maps on 1 piece of paper. I also
traced the map on a lightboard, so I could mark important locations that
aren't otherwise shown on the map. Helps me to distinguish between
Nchardumz and Nchurdamz and other things like that...
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 7:14:38 AM

to make a spell you need to already know how to cast it.. how boring... but
at the same time keeps a new char from casting really cool spells in the
beginning of the game, I guess...

as for scrolls, you have to have a mod to make them.

I am wondering though, has anyone seen a mod to let you make clothing? there
are needles, thread, bolts of cloth, even a couple of sewing machines lying
around. (did I see a loom somewhere too?)

I know I've seen Anvils, too bad you can't learn to make your own armor, not
just fix it.

> [...]
>>listed) that does damage. Which caused me to make spells that I found
>>most
>>useful and name them "1", "2", "3", "4"..... and so on just so the ones I
>>used most often were readily accessible.
>>

> Thanks finndo,
>
> I forgot to mention that I am using xBox. <g> I have learned how to
> cast the magic though. I've yet to try making any, except I did try
> and make one potion. And I have hammered a sword.
>
> So my question is now, what do you need to be able to make
> a spell yourself, and also to make a scroll? Part of the fun
> of this game is learning how to do those things, and then be
> watch for whatever is needed to accomplish the task.
>
> Also, I hope to buy the pc version before long so I can start with
> some mods. My only problem is trying up the pc, which is already
> involved being tied up doing something else. Ah, the struggles

Anonymous
November 25, 2004 2:08:16 PM

Darrel Hoffman wrote:

> I'm at Lvl 40 now, so practically everything dies as soon as I
> look at it. Thinking it might be time to start a new character, just to
> make the game challenging again, but I like this guy, and I feel like I
> should take it as far as he can go...

I was in a similar position with my character (level 35 Dreadlord), then
I installed Suran Underworld and rediscovered what running away feels
like!
!