So Why is AT&T Wireless Still Advertising?

If the Cingular merger is a done deal, why is AT&T still advertising
"GSM America" (the ads where all the people have signal bars
superimposed above their heads)? Isn't that a big waste of money?

--
"I believe that forgiving [terrorists] is God's function.
Our job is to arrange the meeting."

>If the Cingular merger is a done deal, why is AT&T still advertising
>"GSM America" (the ads where all the people have signal bars
>superimposed above their heads)? Isn't that a big waste of money?

Probably pre-paid advertising for "X" number of spots over a "Y" period of
time.

--
John S.

"Scott en Aztlán" <slothkills@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message
> If the Cingular merger is a done deal, why is AT&T still advertising
> "GSM America" (the ads where all the people have signal bars
> superimposed above their heads)? Isn't that a big waste of money?
>
> --
> "I believe that forgiving [terrorists] is God's function.
> Our job is to arrange the meeting."
> - Norman Schwartzkopf

Because AT&T Wireless is still signing up customers until November 14 and
their plans are better than Cingulars.

In article <abihd.82967$5v2.11600@fe2.columbus.rr.com>,
"bainer" <nunya@bizness.com> wrote:

> Because AT&T Wireless is still signing up customers until November 14 and
> their plans are better than Cingulars.

and also selling phones that are only 1900 Mhz

> In article <abihd.82967$5v2.11600@fe2.columbus.rr.com>,
> "bainer" <nunya@bizness.com> wrote:
>
> > Because AT&T Wireless is still signing up customers until November 14
and
> > their plans are better than Cingulars.
>
> and also selling phones that are only 1900 Mhz

Which models are the Company owned stores selling that are 1900 only?

In article <nQqhd.3301$8y4.3@fe1.columbus.rr.com>,
"shawnb" <nunya@bizness.com> wrote:

> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > In article <abihd.82967$5v2.11600@fe2.columbus.rr.com>,
> > "bainer" <nunya@bizness.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Because AT&T Wireless is still signing up customers until November 14
> and
> > > their plans are better than Cingulars.
> >
> > and also selling phones that are only 1900 Mhz
>
> Which models are the Company owned stores selling that are 1900 only?

Siemens S46 in GSM mode only does 1900 MHz

In <jzwick3-CDF8D3.08035101112004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Mon, 01 Nov
2004 14:04:03 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>In article <nQqhd.3301$8y4.3@fe1.columbus.rr.com>,
> "shawnb" <nunya@bizness.com> wrote:
>
>> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message

>> and
>> >
>> > and also selling phones that are only 1900 Mhz
>>
>> Which models are the Company owned stores selling that are 1900 only?
>
>Siemens S46 in GSM mode only does 1900 MHz

ROTFLMAO! That's all you've got?!

The Siemens S46 is an excellent dual-band (GSM 900/1900 and TDMA 800/1900)
phone that will work well in all ATTWS/Cingular markets. That is does only
TDMA and not GSM on 800 is pretty unimportant.

In article <mHvhd.2829$_3.34092@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> In <jzwick3-CDF8D3.08035101112004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Mon, 01 Nov
> 2004 14:04:03 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <nQqhd.3301$8y4.3@fe1.columbus.rr.com>,
> > "shawnb" <nunya@bizness.com> wrote:
> >
> >> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> >> and

> >> Which models are the Company owned stores selling that are 1900 only?
> >
> >Siemens S46 in GSM mode only does 1900 MHz
>
> ROTFLMAO! That's all you've got?!
>
> The Siemens S46 is an excellent dual-band (GSM 900/1900 and TDMA 800/1900)
> phone that will work well in all ATTWS/Cingular markets. That is does only
> TDMA and not GSM on 800 is pretty unimportant.

It is very important as Cingular does away with TDMA, and tries to
concentrate even more on 800 MHz coverage. Folks with that phone will
soon find themselves in ever increasing areas without coverage.

Actually "immediately" by your definition they'll have problems.

In <jzwick3-A07BD6.13424201112004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Mon, 01 Nov
2004 19:42:54 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>In article <mHvhd.2829$_3.34092@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> In <jzwick3-CDF8D3.08035101112004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Mon, 01 Nov
>> 2004 14:04:03 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>> >Siemens S46 in GSM mode only does 1900 MHz
>>
>> ROTFLMAO! That's all you've got?!
>>
>> The Siemens S46 is an excellent dual-band (GSM 900/1900 and TDMA 800/1900)
>> phone that will work well in all ATTWS/Cingular markets. That is does only
>> TDMA and not GSM on 800 is pretty unimportant.
>
>It is very important as Cingular does away with TDMA, and tries to
>concentrate even more on 800 MHz coverage. Folks with that phone will
>soon find themselves in ever increasing areas without coverage.

Wrong. TDMA will be maintained for years to come.

>Actually "immediately" by your definition they'll have problems.

Wrong on that too.

0 for 2. Par for your course. Just more silly FUD.

>Which models are the Company owned stores selling that are 1900 only?

NONE of the AT&T phones are 1900 only.

--
John S.

>Siemens S46 in GSM mode only does 1900 MHz

Phillip, you really should go away. From one source (Phone Scoop), the S46 is -

Modes GSM 900 / GSM 1900 / TDMA 800 / TDMA 1900

--
John S.

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 19:57:10 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:

>Wrong. TDMA will be maintained for years to come.

Three years, in fact.

In <kmqgo0p9r4r7bjjvq78ppgnvqhflb9fl1j@4ax.com> on Wed, 03 Nov 2004 05:22:23
GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

>On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 19:57:10 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:
>
>>Wrong. TDMA will be maintained for years to come.
>
>Three years, in fact.

Or less. Or more. Time will tell.

On 01 Nov 2004 03:15:11 GMT, sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.)
wrote:

>>If the Cingular merger is a done deal, why is AT&T still advertising
>>"GSM America" (the ads where all the people have signal bars
>>superimposed above their heads)? Isn't that a big waste of money?
>
>Probably pre-paid advertising for "X" number of spots over a "Y" period of
>time.

Like they didn't know this was coming. MONTHS ago.

Like they couldn't pull the AT&T spot and replace it with a Cingular
spot to run in those slots.

--
"I believe that forgiving [terrorists] is God's function.
Our job is to arrange the meeting."
- Norman Schwartzkopf

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 05:22:23 GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

>On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 19:57:10 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:
>
>>Wrong. TDMA will be maintained for years to come.
>
>Three years, in fact.

I don't know where you got three years. It's likely to remain in
place for at least seven.

In article <ejvho0d1hjp1jj9836pd1ml98t9d4ej45o@4ax.com>,
Scott en Aztl?n <slothkills@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote:

> On 01 Nov 2004 03:15:11 GMT, sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.)
> wrote:
>
> >>If the Cingular merger is a done deal, why is AT&T still advertising
> >>"GSM America" (the ads where all the people have signal bars
> >>superimposed above their heads)? Isn't that a big waste of money?
> >
> >Probably pre-paid advertising for "X" number of spots over a "Y" period of
> >time.
>
> Like they didn't know this was coming. MONTHS ago.
>
> Like they couldn't pull the AT&T spot and replace it with a Cingular
> spot to run in those slots.

Some nice generic ads from Cingular patting themselves on the back, but
saying nothing about features.

<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=628&ncid=1293&e=6&u=/adw
eek/20041103/ad_bpiaw/newswirecingulartoutsattmerger>

The one with Randy Johnson might have been better if he hadn't demeaned
himself appearing in a "FEED ME" Pizza Hut commercial running 5 minutes
earlier last I saw the Cingular commercial with him. Can you say
overexposure?

<http://www.adweek.com/brandweek/search/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_i
d=1000673497>

In <ejvho0d1hjp1jj9836pd1ml98t9d4ej45o@4ax.com> on Wed, 03 Nov 2004 07:52:09
-0800, Scott en Aztlán <slothkills@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote:

>On 01 Nov 2004 03:15:11 GMT, sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.)
>wrote:
>
>>>If the Cingular merger is a done deal, why is AT&T still advertising
>>>"GSM America" (the ads where all the people have signal bars
>>>superimposed above their heads)? Isn't that a big waste of money?
>>
>>Probably pre-paid advertising for "X" number of spots over a "Y" period of
>>time.
>
>Like they didn't know this was coming. MONTHS ago.

They didn't have the actual date MONTHS ago.

>Like they couldn't pull the AT&T spot and replace it with a Cingular
>spot to run in those slots.

It's difficult to make changes to commercial spots at the last minute, and
probably not sufficiently important to justify the hassle, since Cingular is
continuing to market under the ATTWS brand in the short term.

This is really a non-issue.

In article <6c2io0tfolc6iupev1q3f8ievm1hel53kb@4ax.com>,
Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 05:22:23 GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 19:57:10 GMT, John Navas
> ><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:
> >
> >>Wrong. TDMA will be maintained for years to come.
> >
> >Three years, in fact.
>
> I don't know where you got three years. It's likely to remain in
> place for at least seven.

I don't know how Navas can always be out of the know. Cingular just
announced they are speeding up their transition to all GSM.

<http://news.com.com/Cingular+to+speed+network+with+GSM+move/2100-1033_3-
275116.html>

In <jzwick3-FE4FB8.10534803112004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Wed, 03 Nov
2004 16:54:42 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>I don't know how Navas can always be out of the know. Cingular just
>announced they are speeding up their transition to all GSM.
>
><http://news.com.com/Cingular+to+speed+network+with+GSM+move/2100-1033_3-
>275116.html>

"Just announced?" ROTFL! That article is dated October 30, >>2001<<

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 08:38:58 -0800, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com>
said in alt.cellular.cingular:

>On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 05:22:23 GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:
>>On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 19:57:10 GMT, John Navas
>><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:

>>>Wrong. TDMA will be maintained for years to come.

>>Three years, in fact.

>I don't know where you got three years.

From someone whose pay check has an orange logo on it.

>TDMA will be maintained for years to come.
>
>Three years, in fact.

How did you come upon 3 years Al?

--
John S.

>>Probably pre-paid advertising for "X" number of spots over a "Y" period of
>>time.
>
>Like they didn't know this was coming. MONTHS ago.

Why does anyone care?

Sometimes people worry about the wrong issues!

--
John S.

><http://news.com.com/Cingular+to+speed+network+with+GSM+move/2100-1033_3-
>275116.html>

Phillipe - again, I ask you why don't you crawl back into your hole. The above
URL was "Published: October 30, 2001, 12:35 PM PST"

--
John S.

It is likely to remain for just a little longer than current tdma
contracts. Does any one know when they will stop offering tdma
contracts, or have they already?