Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

I have just bought an Epson R300. Set up as instructions, prints text
documents ok, but when I tried an 6x4 glossy photo it only printed half,
ejected it and then an error meesage came up saying paper incorrectly
loaded. There was no paper in as I was only printing one copy. I put some
paper in, pressed the maintenence button and it started to print out one
line of gobbledegook on each page till I cancelled printing.
I have now installed the latest drivers and it printed the glossy photo but
still wants more paper on which it prints one or many lines of gobbledegook
on as much paper as I feed in.
It behaves ok when I print pages of text.
Any ideas?

Pete

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

It might be--
USB related (MBD chipset drivers for USB), bad printer USB port
Driver related (Cleanup utility from Epson followed by a new driver install)
Landscape vs portrait setting

I usually use a regular 81/2x11 sheet of paper to trouble shoot with,
followed by the high quality paper when things look good.

If you have a compatable camera or camera memory card, you can print
directly to the printer, and rule out a bunch of posibilities.

"Pete" <Pliers@bluewonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have just bought an Epson R300. Set up as instructions, prints text
>documents ok, but when I tried an 6x4 glossy photo it only printed half,
>ejected it and then an error meesage came up saying paper incorrectly
>loaded. There was no paper in as I was only printing one copy. I put some
>paper in, pressed the maintenence button and it started to print out one
>line of gobbledegook on each page till I cancelled printing.
> I have now installed the latest drivers and it printed the glossy photo
> but still wants more paper on which it prints one or many lines of
> gobbledegook on as much paper as I feed in.
> It behaves ok when I print pages of text.
> Any ideas?
>
> Pete

shooter

I would remove all the installed programs from your computer, then reinstall
the software that came with the printer. If you use a USB connector to the
computer check the printer is installed you know through start, settings,
properties. Then run a nozzle test and if OK try a 6x4 with Photoquicker,
if that prints OK you are there. You say you have installed the latest
drivers so I assume you have down loaded these so be sure to remove them
first. The last thing you want to do is use the R300 screen at this point do
the above through the PC.

"Pete" <Pliers@bluewonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have just bought an Epson R300. Set up as instructions, prints text
> documents ok, but when I tried an 6x4 glossy photo it only printed half,
> ejected it and then an error meesage came up saying paper incorrectly
> loaded. There was no paper in as I was only printing one copy. I put some
> paper in, pressed the maintenence button and it started to print out one
> line of gobbledegook on each page till I cancelled printing.
> I have now installed the latest drivers and it printed the glossy photo
but
> still wants more paper on which it prints one or many lines of
gobbledegook
> on as much paper as I feed in.
> It behaves ok when I print pages of text.
> Any ideas?
>
> Pete

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

>The last thing you want to do is use the R300 screen at this point do
>the above through the PC.
Really!
If operation via the PC USB system is screwed up, and the printer is
connected to the PC you may not be able to run the internal tests until you
turn off the PC. The idea is to isolate the problem to fewer causes, and
prove/disprove that the printer works OK without the PC and the USB
connection. Proper text printing from something like word will test teh
black head, and leave the colors to chance. Actually, I'd suspect a software
problem on the PC as the more likely culprit.
(Just don't know if the PC USB drivers are OK, since the USB drivers for
some chip sets need updates before things work properly.)