Sign in with
Your question

Question on my X6800 system

Last response: in Systems
August 2, 2006 10:39:48 PM

Processor: Intel® Core 2 Extreme X6800 Conroe
Motherboard: Asus P5N32-SLI SE
RAM: Mushkin Redline - 4GB
Video Card: XFX Geforce 7950GX2 1GB (OC standard: 520)
Hard Drive: Seagate 73.4gb -15000rpm
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2
DVD Drive: LITE-ON Black DVD Drive
Case: Thermaltake Kandolf Liquid Cooled

So far ive been reading and reading... and I seem to have got it set! I believe everything on there will go together nicely... OTHER then the fact that I have to wait to get everything which could take 2 - 3 weeks lol... but here are my questions...

1) With the Asus board (SE SLI allowing) and the X6800 I will get a decent amount of overclocking ability correct? I dont need anything crazy...
2) Will I be able to truely use 4gb of the mushkin ram? or will 2gb be enough?
3) Is the XFX GTX OC to 520 worth paying the price difference of the stock board? or should i just get the stock board and overclock that up...
4) I've yet to ever do a water cooled case! Am I over my head with this kandolf? or will it be a rather easy install... also if someone is familiar with the case will the watercooled heat sink work on the Conroe?

I am debating on switching the case over to a regular Antec styled big case with plenty of cooling fans... using the Big Typhoon on the CPU...

I am skilled with case mods and have did tons of them before... even made a fishtank OpenBSD server case before... but never a water cooled one!

Thanks for the help! :D 

More about : question x6800 system

August 3, 2006 4:15:11 AM

I have been researching alot as well and Im going to build my system around an E6700 core 2 duo. So far Ive chosen the ASUS P5W DH DELUXE as my motherboard.

Why did you decide to go with the P5n32-SLI SE?
August 3, 2006 7:39:30 AM

I'm guessing the HDD is SCSI, as there are no SATA 15,000 rpm drives available. Jusr make sure you have the means to use it. Get a pair of 150 gig Raptors from WD since it looks like everything else you have is top of the line.

4 gig of ram is pointless right now, get 2 now and another 2 later, after Vista comes out and you switch over.

Get an X-Fi sound card, better quality.

And lastly, get a pair of 7900GTX's instead of the 7950. They will be faster and you are getting an SLI board anyway.

Think that covers it.

This is all assuming there is no budget limit. From what you have it looks like everything is pretty much top of the line.
Related resources
August 3, 2006 2:18:15 PM

Quote:
Why did you decide to go with the P5n32-SLI SE?

SLI

Quote:
I'm guessing the HDD is SCSI, as there are no SATA 15,000 rpm drives available. Jusr make sure you have the means to use it. Get a pair of 150 gig Raptors from WD since it looks like everything else you have is top of the line.

4 gig of ram is pointless right now, get 2 now and another 2 later, after Vista comes out and you switch over.

Get an X-Fi sound card, better quality.

And lastly, get a pair of 7900GTX's instead of the 7950. They will be faster and you are getting an SLI board anyway.

My fault... yah Seagate 73.4gb Ultra 320 SCSI (80 PIN) 3.6ms 15000rpm... I have it right now in my other PC so I was just gonna bring the seagate over to this PC... The HD seems to run excellent for me... I use it for the OS + Game loading... and I have a 320gig sata seagate for MP3 storage and extra files... nothing else goes on my gaming PC

4 gig is truely pointless? Only 3gig allowed in XP pro right? so I wont see a difference adding two extra gig at all?

I dont think sound quality is as important to me... The klipsch 5.1 setup I have seems to be fine

The 7950 is cheaper

Price is somewhat of a roadblock for me! :)  Enough for me to save a few bucks by getting the 7950 instead
August 3, 2006 3:00:42 PM

Quote:
4 gig is truely pointless? Only 3gig allowed in XP pro right? so I wont see a difference adding two extra gig at all?

Not if you are only using this to game and play tunes running XP.
August 3, 2006 3:36:07 PM

Quote:

Not if you are only using this to game and play tunes running XP.

I just wanna be able to play Oblivion at insane graphics + NWN2 + Gothic 3... those sorta games... Mp3 player... DVD Burning once in awhile... and to really feel that the PC is insanely fast...

can XP recognize 4 gigs?
August 3, 2006 5:40:58 PM

Quote:
can XP recognize 4 gigs?

Not the 32-bit one, only the 64-bit XP.

I don't think that is entirely true. I could be wrong but I have read several articles that Windows Xp Pro supports 4GB of RAM. However, a single processs can only be allocated 2GB of RAM by the OS. Here is a link to a MS support article.http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555223
August 4, 2006 4:57:17 PM

Quote:
3) Is the XFX GTX OC to 520 worth paying the price difference of the stock board? or should i just get the stock board and overclock that up...
4) I've yet to ever do a water cooled case! Am I over my head with this kandolf? or will it be a rather easy install... also if someone is familiar with the case will the watercooled heat sink work on the Conroe?

I am debating on switching the case over to a regular Antec styled big case with plenty of cooling fans... using the Big Typhoon on the CPU...

Can anyone help me with these questions?
August 4, 2006 5:30:14 PM

Quote:

The big typhoon has great cooling capacity but it is super heavy and I don't like the idea of putting so much stress on the mobo right near the socket. You can get significantly lighter CPU HSFs that have basically the same cooling capacity, like the Zalman 9500 or this Arctic. You can find other competitive models out there if you look but I do believe in paying attention to the HSF height and mass. The Arctic listed above is a mega bargain and it really works great.
August 4, 2006 5:34:36 PM

Quote:
can XP recognize 4 gigs?

Not the 32-bit one, only the 64-bit XP.

I don't think that is entirely true. I could be wrong but I have read several articles that Windows Xp Pro supports 4GB of RAM. However, a single processs can only be allocated 2GB of RAM by the OS. Here is a link to a MS support article.http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555223

lol, no, windows xp pro 32-bit does NOT support 4GB of ram, only 64-bit version will support more than the 3.2GB that XP will support, and this is entirely true :lol: 

As far as that video card its up to you more or less, im not aware of XFX's warranties but if they don't warranty overclocking then i would get the overclocked board if i had the extra money, the last thing you want to do is void the warranty, especially on such an expensive video card. either way oc'ed or not the 7950GX2 will kill any game you through at it so i wouldn't worry about oc'ing too much
August 4, 2006 5:58:38 PM

Quote:
lol, no, windows xp pro 32-bit does NOT support 4GB of ram, only 64-bit version will support more than the 3.2GB that XP will support, and this is entirely true :lol: 

As far as that video card its up to you more or less, im not aware of XFX's warranties but if they don't warranty overclocking then i would get the overclocked board if i had the extra money, the last thing you want to do is void the warranty, especially on such an expensive video card. either way oc'ed or not the 7950GX2 will kill any game you through at it so i wouldn't worry about oc'ing too much

Awesome! thank you for the info on the ram! That saves me almost 400 bucks :)  and I was thinking the 7950 should hold me off till the DX10 cards! Without an overclock!

Quote:
The big typhoon has great cooling capacity but it is super heavy and I don't like the idea of putting so much stress on the mobo right near the socket. You can get significantly lighter CPU HSFs that have basically the same cooling capacity, like the Zalman 9500 or this Arctic. You can find other competitive models out there if you look but I do believe in paying attention to the HSF height and mass. The Arctic listed above is a mega bargain and it really works great.

Will these models work well for OC'ing though? I will be OC'ing the X6800 for sure! **Obviously these will work okay since the stock cooler did fine for the THW test...** But i meant for everyday OC'ing and long use will these work good! or should i try to use the watercooler to keep it safe?
August 4, 2006 6:20:34 PM

If you want to do watercooling, I have a question for you...

You wanna spend 200+ dollars cooling your cpu, or 50 dollars?

If you said 200+, I'll help you with a watercooling set-up that will go as far as you want to go...

You can choose the Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultra kit, or you can buy parts yourself. If you do, these are probably some of the best out there right now:

Waterblock - Swiftech Storm or Apogee, Danger Den TDX
Pump - Laing D5 (Also known as the Swiftech MCP655 or DD12V-D5)
Radiator - Danger Den Black Ice Xtreme II or Swiftech QuietPower 2*120mm
Resevoir - Up to you, nothing special here. You might want to get a passive cooled resevoir if you want a bit more cooling power.
Tygon tubing, Xerex additive, Arctic silver for mounting...
You might also think about investing in a northbridge or GPU waterblock too...

That set-up will go as far as you want it too... If you want to go extremes, you might want to go with a TEC (Thermoelectric) solution, although your gonna push up to around $400 bucks... but its so nice when your CPU temp is below ambient =)
August 4, 2006 6:29:21 PM

Thank you for that guide! I would love to have a CPU under insane temps! But I do use this computer for lan parties also... so moving it will be an issue... that is why I enjoyed the idea of having a PC that came with all the parts attached to the tower itself...

Any ideas for a watercooled Lan computer?
August 4, 2006 8:06:16 PM

Quote:
Will these models work well for OC'ing though? I will be OC'ing the X6800 for sure! **Obviously these will work okay since the stock cooler did fine for the THW test...** But i meant for everyday OC'ing and long use will these work good! or should i try to use the watercooler to keep it safe?

It's all a matter of degrees (tun inpended). Since the C2Ds run cool, with a good HSF and decent case airflow, you're going to get an OC beyond any Intel or AMD chip you've run before on air (and many on water). If you want to go for the highest possible OC, then you'll be doing subambient like LN2 or phase and pulling out all of the stops. In between the two resides water cooling, using a TEC, etc. I do not recommend a TEC, by the way. If you don't have extensive OC experience, (don't know, just mentioning this) you might want to get to know your BIOS, RAM, mobo, etc., while running a good HSF, then decide if you are happy with the performance of the PC. Once you step up to water, the risks and maintenance commitments go up. I've piddled enough with a friend's C2D OC'ed on air to know that I will not need to water cool mine when I finally get it together in a few months.
August 4, 2006 8:25:50 PM

Thank you so much Clue69Less! From what ive been reading on both this site and other OC'ing sites... it seems air cooled will just be fine for myself! I have my AMD Dual core 3800 OC'd with the Big Typhoon and it seemed to work for exactly what I was looking for! Nothing drastic... but enough to run Oblivion well for 1280x1024...

now that I have a 20in samsung though that does 1600x1200... Oblivion runs like shit at full max everything... I'm sure the new GPU + CPU will clear these problems up...

So the new setup will be ordered like this... with air cooling instead of water...

Processor: Intel® Core 2 Extreme X6800 Conroe
Motherboard: Asus P5N32-SLI SE
RAM: Mushkin Redline 2GB
Video Card: XFX Geforce 7950GX2 1GB (OC standard: 520)
Hard Drive: Seagate 73.4gb -15000rpm
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2
DVD Drive: LITE-ON Black DVD Drive

has anyone been able to find any performance tests on a SLI'd x6800??
!