Clustering Question (Where should I be?)

Tim

Here is my situation (Maybe someone can help.)

I have 2 Win2k Adv servers in a cluster using HP MSA1000
as the shared storage. I have a cluster setup and seems
to be running fine. The two phisical servers are fp-1 and
fp-2 with the Quorum drive Q and shared drive S on both
servers. The Virual server is FP. Naturally I can map to
a share on \\fp\s$ and always see the data on the the
virtual server.

Depending on which server (FP-1 or FP-2) is the active
server in the cluster determins which server I can see the
S: drive. If FP-1 is the active server I can see the S:
drive on FP-1. When I try to access the S: drive on FP-2
(not active) is say the drive is not accessable. (I guess
that is the way its suppose to work???)

Problem: I am setting up HP OpenView Storage data
protector 5.1 on FP-1. I know if FP-1 is the active
cluster I can set the backup to pull the data off the S:
drive and the data will not traverse the network. But if
FP-1 is not the active cluster and the backups are pulling
the data from s: it will then fail because s: is not
accessable.

Question: Is there anyway (and should I do it) to allow
FP-1 to always see the data on S: even if its not the
active cluster?

Hi Tim,

This articles addresses pretty well your questions/concerns. Let us know if
it does not answer them.

305547 Support for booting from a Storage Area Network (SAN)
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305547

--
Hope this helps,
Mike Rosado

<http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm>

> Here is my situation (Maybe someone can help.)
>
> I have 2 Win2k Adv servers in a cluster using HP MSA1000
> as the shared storage. I have a cluster setup and seems
> to be running fine. The two phisical servers are fp-1 and
> fp-2 with the Quorum drive Q and shared drive S on both
> servers. The Virual server is FP. Naturally I can map to
> a share on \\fp\s$ and always see the data on the the
> virtual server.
>
> Depending on which server (FP-1 or FP-2) is the active
> server in the cluster determins which server I can see the
> S: drive. If FP-1 is the active server I can see the S:
> drive on FP-1. When I try to access the S: drive on FP-2
> (not active) is say the drive is not accessable. (I guess
> that is the way its suppose to work???)
>
> Problem: I am setting up HP OpenView Storage data
> protector 5.1 on FP-1. I know if FP-1 is the active
> cluster I can set the backup to pull the data off the S:
> drive and the data will not traverse the network. But if
> FP-1 is not the active cluster and the backups are pulling
> the data from s: it will then fail because s: is not
> accessable.
>
> Question: Is there anyway (and should I do it) to allow
> FP-1 to always see the data on S: even if its not the
> active cluster?

Thanks Mike

I just want to clearify that the way I described in my
original message is the way the Clustered Drives have to
act or they would become correct. That being the case: I
have to have Data Protector Backup the Data on the
Virtual Server "FP" and not from one of the Cluster
members FP-1 or FP-2. Therefore all the backups data will
be traversing the network switch and not directly from the
MSA1000 to the HBA in the Server and out the SCSI card to
the Tape library.

your newsreader so
>that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

confers no rights.