Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will 4x4 be officially called FX+?

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 3, 2006 12:22:54 AM

I was thinking about this today and I know 4x4 sounds stupid for PCs. AMD has said (some 4x4 link) that the initiative will continue the FX moniker.

Since FX+ will be for desktops there is no danger of eroding wksta sales since most pros want SCSI. I cansee some small shops adopting it as a low cost wksta with great perf, but I doubt that major game creators will give up their Opterons.

Episode III was done with Opteron. I doubt they'll switch out for a $150 mobo.

ANyway, does that sound liek a cool name or what?

Wait.... maybe it will be FX2. They could get Rollie Tyler for promos.

More about : 4x4 officially called

August 3, 2006 12:25:42 AM

You've just started watching commercials haven't you.
August 3, 2006 12:26:42 AM

Why do your topics always suck so much?

Quote:
Episode III was done with Opteron. I doubt they'll switch out for a $150 mobo.


Um ok.
Related resources
August 3, 2006 12:29:46 AM

Quote:
Why do your topics always suck so much?

Episode III was done with Opteron. I doubt they'll switch out for a $150 mobo.


Um ok.


Because they're about CPUs?
August 3, 2006 12:30:15 AM

Quote:
I was thinking about this today and I know 4x4 sounds stupid for PCs. AMD has said (some 4x4 link) that the initiative will continue the FX moniker.

Since FX+ will be for desktops there is no danger of eroding wksta sales since most pros want SCSI. I cansee some small shops adopting it as a low cost wksta with great perf, but I doubt that major game creators will give up their Opterons.

Episode III was done with Opteron. I doubt they'll switch out for a $150 mobo.

ANyway, does that sound liek a cool name or what?

Wait.... maybe it will be FX2. They could get Rollie Tyler for promos.



Well, for now, why dont we just call it "unicorn", you know a mythical creature
August 3, 2006 12:31:52 AM

Quote:
You've just started watching commercials haven't you.



You couldn't PAY ME to watch a network TV commercial. The problem is that they're ALWAYS better than the show.

Anyway, that sound s like a good choice of names.

I think I'm leaning towards FX2 to combine FX and X2.

Pretty cool, huhn?
August 3, 2006 12:31:57 AM

Nah, I'd say its because you're an AMD fanboy.

And what the hell did the episode 3 thing have to do with anything?
August 3, 2006 12:32:54 AM

Quote:
Nah, I'd say its because you're an AMD fanboy.

And what the hell did the episode 3 thing have to do with anything?


Some people think that FX2 would take away Opteron sales.
August 3, 2006 12:35:05 AM

Yeah, in the LOW END it'd make for a cheap workstation.
August 3, 2006 1:08:07 AM

Quote:
Yeah, in the LOW END it'd make for a cheap workstation.


Exactly. especially since Opteron cost more and 51xx is MIA.
August 3, 2006 1:26:58 AM

Quote:
You've just started watching commercials haven't you.



You couldn't PAY ME to watch a network TV commercial.

You couldn't PAY ME to read your stupid post.
August 3, 2006 1:31:29 AM

Quote:
You've just started watching commercials haven't you.



You couldn't PAY ME to watch a network TV commercial.

You couldn't PAY ME to read your stupid post.

Except that you seem to have read at least three replies AND the post. Stupid though it maybe.
August 3, 2006 1:40:04 AM

Quote:
I was thinking about this today and I know 4x4 sounds stupid for PCs. AMD has said (some 4x4 link) that the initiative will continue the FX moniker.

Since FX+ will be for desktops there is no danger of eroding wksta sales since most pros want SCSI. I cansee some small shops adopting it as a low cost wksta with great perf, but I doubt that major game creators will give up their Opterons.

Episode III was done with Opteron. I doubt they'll switch out for a $150 mobo.

ANyway, does that sound liek a cool name or what?

Wait.... maybe it will be FX2. They could get Rollie Tyler for promos.


FX2 was a good flick.

Also, it's very appropriate for the 4x4. Since the FX movies were
about special effects - you need hollywood special effects for
the 4x4 to beat Intel's quad. I couldn't resist saying it.

Only kidding, I know the 4x4 is a passion of yours. No flame intended.
August 3, 2006 1:49:38 AM

Quote:
Only kidding, I know the 4x4 is a passion of yours.


A passion which controls his life and eats up all of his spare time. That, along with defending AMD against Core 2 Duo.
August 3, 2006 1:55:06 AM

Quote:
Yeah, in the LOW END it'd make for a cheap workstation.


Exactly. especially since Opteron cost more and 51xx is MIA.

I wasn't aware that ILM was into using low end workstations for their special effects. Fooled me.
August 3, 2006 1:57:31 AM

Quote:
51xx is MIA.


Um, have you checked your beloved newegg or dell?
August 3, 2006 1:58:31 AM

Quote:
Yeah, in the LOW END it'd make for a cheap workstation.


Exactly. especially since Opteron cost more and 51xx is MIA.

I wasn't aware that ILM was into using low end workstations for their special effects. Fooled me.

Now that Core 2 has been developed, any thing from AMD is low-end --- *drum* bada bahhh.

Owned.
August 3, 2006 2:05:40 AM

I think they're going to need a cutting-edge, mainstream-friendly name or acronym. Too bad Intel already uses the "extreme edition" moniker as "FX EXTREME" would be a good name.

Say what you want about Intel's technology, but with "Intel Iside", "Pentium", "ViiV", "Centrino",etc. - they know all about branding. And branding is probably the biggest thing AMD needs since AMD is behind (for now) Intel on too many different levels. The right marketing campaign will help with the mainstream consumer. Look how many bought P4s just because of the familiar "Intel Inside" logo.

Yes, I do know about AMD's "Live" (to compete with Intel's ViiV) platform, but I really don't see it going very far until the aquisition is over, and they are able to co-design with ATI.
August 3, 2006 2:08:05 AM

Quote:
I think they're going to need a cutting-edge, mainstream-friendly name or acronym. Too bad Intel already uses the "extreme edition" moniker as "FX EXTREME" would be a good name.


1337 Edition, Uber kewl edition or Who would buy this edition.
August 3, 2006 2:18:34 AM

Quote:
1337 Edition, Uber kewl edition or Who would buy this edition.


How about the FU-2
(kidding) :lol: 
August 3, 2006 2:19:10 AM

Don't really have much to say about this. Just that "4x4" isn't going to be the official name and it will be using processors dubbed "FX". What the final platform name is I have no idea. I don't think FX+ works though. Can't imagine people saying I have a FX+60.
August 3, 2006 2:22:35 AM

Quote:
I think they're going to need a cutting-edge, mainstream-friendly name or acronym. Too bad Intel already uses the "extreme edition" moniker as "FX EXTREME" would be a good name.


1337 Edition, Uber kewl edition or Who would buy this edition.


What I want to know is this:

With the fanboys running around now saying "..the average person doesnt need that much power anyway..." in reference to the Core 2, why would anyone need the Uber Kewl if is supposedly going to be so much faster? :wink:
August 3, 2006 2:50:50 AM

Actually, I think the official AMD name is (and I'm seriously, seriously not joking about this) "Quad-Father". I forgot where I saw I read this, but I couldn't believe AMD actually called it that. You should probably be able to find it if you Google it or something. Even if it's an internal name, that's just ridiculous...


edit: Here's one link I found off Google... http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MjAzMTgsLCxobmV3c...
August 3, 2006 2:52:40 AM

Quote:
Does it really matter what they call it? I am an AMD fan and even I think 4x4 sounds like a dumb, not to mention expensive idea. They should focus more on beating intel with one cpu instead of needing 2


4x4 is dumb; it's an expensive and inefficient way to beat Conroe. Kinda like the Geforce 7950GX2. Obviously, 4CPUs beats two CPUs, and 2GPUs beats one GPU. Imagine the power consumption of two FX62s in 4x4 (or whatever they call it). Then imagine the price 8O . IMO, 4x4 is just a holdover until AMD finishes K8L.
August 3, 2006 2:58:04 AM

Quote:

What I want to know is this:
With the fanboys running around now saying "..the average person doesnt need that much power anyway..." in reference to the Core 2, why would anyone need the Uber Kewl if is supposedly going to be so much faster? :wink:

That is a really good question and I really tried to think on it but then I got a headache and gave up. :roll: I guess it just goes to show that trying to figure out a fanboy of any kind is hazardous to your health :lol: 

Circular logic can do that to ya :wink:
August 3, 2006 3:01:35 AM

Quote:
edit: Here's one link I found off Google... http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MjAzMTgsLCxobmV3c...


Here's my favorite part of that article:
Quote:
AMD, in an attempt to appeal to the entire enthusiast market (not just the high-dollar enthusiast market) , promised dual 4X4 CPU bundles for well below $1,000 mark.
If I'm not mistaken, only the high-dollar enthusiast market spends close to $1000 on CPUs.
August 3, 2006 3:50:43 AM

Quote:
Does it really matter what they call it? I am an AMD fan and even I think 4x4 sounds like a dumb, not to mention expensive idea. They should focus more on beating intel with one cpu instead of needing 2


4x4 is dumb; it's an expensive and inefficient way to beat Conroe. Kinda like the Geforce 7950GX2. Obviously, 4CPUs beats two CPUs, and 2GPUs beats one GPU. Imagine the power consumption of two FX62s in 4x4 (or whatever they call it). Then imagine the price 8O . IMO, 4x4 is just a holdover until AMD finishes K8L.

lol i find this funny since Intel had to go to 65nm die and 4mb L2 cache to beat AMD with only 90nm and 2mb L2 cache.... of course 65nm is better then 90nm and 4mb is better then 2mb. 4x4 is not dumb either for most workstations or people in need of resources like graphic artist, game programers, etc... most console games like PS3 and Xbox360 are using quad-core but one of the cores is replaced by a large L2 cache, so a tri-core GPU+large L2 cache. 4x4 will be the mega-multi-tasking CPU. running high end programs like adobe photoshop, adobe after-effects, maya, and still able to email clients all at the same time. programs need to be adjusted for this change just like when hyper threading came out. what does this mean? in time 4x4 will prove it self useful.
August 3, 2006 4:07:09 AM

Quote:
Does it really matter what they call it? I am an AMD fan and even I think 4x4 sounds like a dumb, not to mention expensive idea. They should focus more on beating intel with one cpu instead of needing 2


4x4 is dumb; it's an expensive and inefficient way to beat Conroe. Kinda like the Geforce 7950GX2. Obviously, 4CPUs beats two CPUs, and 2GPUs beats one GPU. Imagine the power consumption of two FX62s in 4x4 (or whatever they call it). Then imagine the price 8O . IMO, 4x4 is just a holdover until AMD finishes K8L.

lol i find this funny since Intel had to go to 65nm die and 4mb L2 cache to beat AMD with only 90nm and 2mb L2 cache.... of course 65nm is better then 90nm and 4mb is better then 2mb. 4x4 is not dumb either for most workstations or people in need of resources like graphic artist, game programers, etc... most console games like PS3 and Xbox360 are using quad-core but one of the cores is replaced by a large L2 cache, so a tri-core GPU+large L2 cache. 4x4 will be the mega-multi-tasking CPU. running high end programs like adobe photoshop, adobe after-effects, maya, and still able to email clients all at the same time. programs need to be adjusted for this change just like when hyper threading came out. what does this mean? in time 4x4 will prove it self useful.

mmm toasty bitch. conroe beats AMD cpus not coz of cache and die size, its coz of its architecture.
a c 102 à CPUs
August 3, 2006 4:19:48 AM

I say name it the FX Extreme Edition (FXEE for short) as it will be overly expensive and not the fastest setup out there, just like the 3.2, 3.4, and 3.46 GHz P4EE and not to forget the overly hot and underperforming 3.2 GHz PEE 840, 3.46 GHz PEE 955, and 3.73 GHz PEE 965.

And Intel should change the name of the Core 2 Duo Extreme Edition X6800 to perhaps just the Core 2 Duo X6800. The X6800 is nothing special compared to the regular Conroes except for a higher clock speed and an unlocked multiplier. At least the Gallatins had a 2MB L3 cache, the 3.46 Prescott had a new 1066 MHz FSB, and the dual-core PEEs had Hyper-Threading enabled. Even AMD's FX-62 has twice the L2 cache of the regular X2 series.
August 3, 2006 4:52:41 AM

Quote:
Actually, I think the official AMD name is (and I'm seriously, seriously not joking about this) "Quad-Father". I forgot where I saw I read this, but I couldn't believe AMD actually called it that. You should probably be able to find it if you Google it or something. Even if it's an internal name, that's just ridiculous...


edit: Here's one link I found off Google... http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MjAzMTgsLCxobmV3c...



Would you really buy something thst was christened "Quad-Father?' That is a play on words based on what a quad core AM2 would do. HTX baby!

I am a separate entity and make whatever predictions I see evidence of.

I'm leaning towards FX2.


No.... maybe

<trumpets blaring>

FX+2


Not a copyright.
August 3, 2006 4:53:56 AM

FX 2
FX

as in FX squared, except the 2 is closer lol... best i could do... if you'll selct, you'll see i had to use white letters, so i tried, don't be harsh lol :cry:  :wink:
August 3, 2006 4:56:22 AM

mines better... although you did inspire me, you get 10% of royalties lol 8)
August 3, 2006 5:29:26 AM

yes..

it will be called AMD ATHLON F****x +
August 3, 2006 12:00:02 PM

Quote:
edit: Here's one link I found off Google... http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MjAzMTgsLCxobmV3c...


Here's my favorite part of that article:
Quote:
AMD, in an attempt to appeal to the entire enthusiast market (not just the high-dollar enthusiast market) , promised dual 4X4 CPU bundles for well below $1,000 mark.
If I'm not mistaken, only the high-dollar enthusiast market spends close to $1000 on CPUs.


FX+2 is not going to be an enthusiast only product. I want it for development work. Others will too. I wouldn't be surprised if MS snatched a lot fo the first ones.

Also AMD is not doing this to "catch up" to Core 2. They are doing it to provide an even faster product for power users.
August 3, 2006 12:18:01 PM

Quote:
FX+2 is not going to be an enthusiast only product.


I can't see any enthusiast buying it.

Quote:
I want it for development work. Others will too. I wouldn't be surprised if MS snatched a lot fo the first ones.


May I suggest dual dual-core Opterons?

Quote:
Also AMD is not doing this to "catch up" to Core 2. They are doing it to provide an even faster product for power users.


Until Intel does something similar with the C2D. As I said before, 4x4 is a quick and easy way to steal the performance crown from Intel; a holdover until AMD finishes K8L and 65nm CPUs.
a c 102 à CPUs
August 3, 2006 12:54:55 PM

It could be FX^4. That makes more sense.
August 3, 2006 1:09:15 PM

Quote:
Actually, I think the official AMD name is (and I'm seriously, seriously not joking about this) "Quad-Father". I forgot where I saw I read this, but I couldn't believe AMD actually called it that. You should probably be able to find it if you Google it or something. Even if it's an internal name, that's just ridiculous...


edit: Here's one link I found off Google... http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MjAzMTgsLCxobmV3c...


I believe "Quadfather" was the name of the system, not the technology. For example, naming servers after your bosses so that you can say things like "Mark isn't working again. Do Betty and Bob share a rack? And QuadFather is on fire again!"
August 3, 2006 1:58:54 PM

Quote:
FX 2
FX

as in FX squared, except the 2 is closer lol... best i could do... if you'll selct, you'll see i had to use white letters, so i tried, don't be harsh lol :cry:  :wink:



FX^2

That is actually really good. Let's go with FX squared.
August 3, 2006 2:05:04 PM

Quote:
FX+2 is not going to be an enthusiast only product.


I can't see any enthusiast buying it.

Quote:
I want it for development work. Others will too. I wouldn't be surprised if MS snatched a lot fo the first ones.


May I suggest dual dual-core Opterons?

Quote:
Also AMD is not doing this to "catch up" to Core 2. They are doing it to provide an even faster product for power users.


Until Intel does something similar with the C2D. As I said before, 4x4 is a quick and easy way to steal the performance crown from Intel; a holdover until AMD finishes K8L and 65nm CPUs.


Do you know how much the cheapest Opty wksta is? I don't need SCSI or 64 bit PCI-X or ECC or dual gigabit NICs. the 2.6 Opteron is around $1000.

4GB RAM
2x2.6GHz
2xSATA3G


Heck i don't even need the SLI.

1xGPU
August 3, 2006 2:08:03 PM

Quote:
I believe "Quadfather" was the name of the system, not the technology. For example, naming servers after your bosses so that you can say things like "Mark isn't working again. Do Betty and Bob share a rack? And QuadFather is on fire again!"


Thanks dude that helped to start my day oh so splendidly..!! :lol:  :trophy:
August 3, 2006 2:47:14 PM

Quote:
FX 2
FX

as in FX squared, except the 2 is closer lol... best i could do... if you'll selct, you'll see i had to use white letters, so i tried, don't be harsh lol :cry:  :wink:


How about: MuthrFXr?

Cus that an is gonna be one expensive and hot muthrfxr!

I mean two expensive and hot muthrfxrs...
August 3, 2006 3:12:31 PM

Quote:
FX 2
FX

as in FX squared, except the 2 is closer lol... best i could do... if you'll selct, you'll see i had to use white letters, so i tried, don't be harsh lol :cry:  :wink:


How about: MuthrFXr?

Cus that an is gonna be one expensive and hot muthrfxr!

I mean two expensive and hot muthrfxrs...


Not really AMD has 65W and 35W chips at 90nm. I wouldsay that midrange chips for this will be around 40W @65nm. Since it will work for ALL X2s they can start out at like 4200+ and go up to 5200+.

Also, the same thing is true of two Opterons or two 51xx or two Core 2. Load of 95W should be possible @ 65nm.
August 3, 2006 3:16:31 PM

Quote:
How about: MuthrFXr?

Cus that an is gonna be one expensive and hot muthrfxr!

I mean two expensive and hot muthrfxrs...


That literally brought tears to my eyes.

August 3, 2006 3:20:34 PM

Quote:
Not really AMD has 65W and 35W chips at 90nm. I wouldsay that midrange chips for this will be around 40W @65nm. Since it will work for ALL X2s they can start out at like 4200+ and go up to 5200+.

Also, the same thing is true of two Opterons or two 51xx or two Core 2. Load of 95W should be possible @ 65nm.


Another thread presents information that debunks AMD power savaings as only being at idle speeds. At load, Conroe uses less power and gives more performance (I sound like an Intel powerpoint).

ClueLess is right:

Two-FX 62s
Two Video cards
Double the normal RAM

We're talking power hungry. I wouldn't put less than a 600W powersupply if not even more.
August 3, 2006 4:17:08 PM

Has AMD announced if you can put X2's in a 4x4 setup? 2 3800+ would make for a pretty damn good "megatasking" computer. Say ~300 bucks for the mobo and ~300 bucks for the processors (and like 50 a month for the power bill :D  ). That is about the same price as a E6600 setup (~350 for proc and ~250 for board).

I would love to see those two benched against each other.

They could call it something like X2 duo....ha
August 3, 2006 6:36:20 PM

Quote:
Not really AMD has 65W and 35W chips at 90nm. I wouldsay that midrange chips for this will be around 40W @65nm. Since it will work for ALL X2s they can start out at like 4200+ and go up to 5200+.

Also, the same thing is true of two Opterons or two 51xx or two Core 2. Load of 95W should be possible @ 65nm.


Another thread presents information that debunks AMD power savaings as only being at idle speeds. At load, Conroe uses less power and gives more performance (I sound like an Intel powerpoint).

ClueLess is right:

Two-FX 62s
Two Video cards
Double the normal RAM

We're talking power hungry. I wouldn't put less than a 600W powersupply if not even more.


This initiative is for the future. AM2 @ 65nm should use less power than Core 2 since we're basing it on a 65W (whatever) 90nm 2.2Ghz.

How do you see using an HP9300 as less power than this? the 9300 has Two opterons, 8 RAM slots, SLI, SCSI, dual gigabit NIC.....

Also the FX^2 will only use 4GB RAM. They will probably limit each socket to 512MB. If they leave 4 slots per socket.

You are looking at the negatives only but I will let my electric bill go up to get DOUBLE FX62 speeds. I have a nice roomy Antec case with room for three fans.

Let's look at the positives:

Dev:
Can use Virtual Server with 3 cores assigned to VMs and one assigned to the host.
Client becomes separate from server.


Content:
Two photoshop instances along with Cinema 4D will run smoothly while downloading a large file and surfing the internet.


All:
The cheapest Opty Wksta is $1800.

This should come in at 12-$1500 loaded.

2x5000+ $600
SLI mobo $175
2x7600GT $300
4GB CAS3 667 $200
Case/HD/DVD $250

Total $1525


That's not a bad price for ~twice the perf of FX62. Some people paid Dell $10,000 for a space heating refrigerator, so this is not farfetched. They can even standardize on phase change cooling. If Dell picks it upp in volume the price of phase change will drop even faster than from PressHott.

Besides AMD has been slowing lowering power requirements and they won't stop when they get to 65nm.

I don't expect anyone who doesn't want it to buy it, but it's my next upgrade.
August 4, 2006 1:27:13 AM

Quote:
It could be FX^4. That makes more sense.


not really... 2 squared is 4 which is the totla number of cores. I think it was ingenious. 8) :wink:
August 4, 2006 1:48:32 AM

Quote:




That roflcopter is such a classic. If they ever do a best of Tom's Forumz, it's in there.

That reminds me - I was cleaning up some office stuff and came across my old Tom's PC book. That's a classic too, I put it back on the shelf in its esteemed position.
August 4, 2006 1:40:08 PM

Here, I found someone who has the ROFLCOPTER game up:

http://www.rofl.name/roflcopter/

Quote:




That roflcopter is such a classic. If they ever do a best of Tom's Forumz, it's in there.

That reminds me - I was cleaning up some office stuff and came across my old Tom's PC book. That's a classic too, I put it back on the shelf in its esteemed position.


And don't forget:

LOLLERSKATES!

      • 1 / 3
      • 2
      • 3
      • Newest
!