Will 4x4 be officially called FX+?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I was thinking about this today and I know 4x4 sounds stupid for PCs. AMD has said (some 4x4 link) that the initiative will continue the FX moniker.

Since FX+ will be for desktops there is no danger of eroding wksta sales since most pros want SCSI. I cansee some small shops adopting it as a low cost wksta with great perf, but I doubt that major game creators will give up their Opterons.

Episode III was done with Opteron. I doubt they'll switch out for a $150 mobo.

ANyway, does that sound liek a cool name or what?

Wait.... maybe it will be FX2. They could get Rollie Tyler for promos.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I was thinking about this today and I know 4x4 sounds stupid for PCs. AMD has said (some 4x4 link) that the initiative will continue the FX moniker.

Since FX+ will be for desktops there is no danger of eroding wksta sales since most pros want SCSI. I cansee some small shops adopting it as a low cost wksta with great perf, but I doubt that major game creators will give up their Opterons.

Well, for now, why dont we just call it "unicorn", you know a mythical creature

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
You've just started watching commercials haven't you.

You couldn't PAY ME to watch a network TV commercial. The problem is that they're ALWAYS better than the show.

Anyway, that sound s like a good choice of names.

I think I'm leaning towards FX2 to combine FX and X2.

Pretty cool, huhn?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
You've just started watching commercials haven't you.

You couldn't PAY ME to watch a network TV commercial.

You couldn't PAY ME to read your stupid post.

Except that you seem to have read at least three replies AND the post. Stupid though it maybe.

tmac

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004

FX2 was a good flick.

Also, it's very appropriate for the 4x4. Since the FX movies were
about special effects - you need hollywood special effects for
the 4x4 to beat Intel's quad. I couldn't resist saying it.

Only kidding, I know the 4x4 is a passion of yours. No flame intended.

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
Yeah, in the LOW END it'd make for a cheap workstation.

Exactly. especially since Opteron cost more and 51xx is MIA.

I wasn't aware that ILM was into using low end workstations for their special effects. Fooled me.

Now that Core 2 has been developed, any thing from AMD is low-end --- *drum* bada bahhh.

Owned.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I think they're going to need a cutting-edge, mainstream-friendly name or acronym. Too bad Intel already uses the "extreme edition" moniker as "FX EXTREME" would be a good name.

Say what you want about Intel's technology, but with "Intel Iside", "Pentium", "ViiV", "Centrino",etc. - they know all about branding. And branding is probably the biggest thing AMD needs since AMD is behind (for now) Intel on too many different levels. The right marketing campaign will help with the mainstream consumer. Look how many bought P4s just because of the familiar "Intel Inside" logo.

Yes, I do know about AMD's "Live" (to compete with Intel's ViiV) platform, but I really don't see it going very far until the aquisition is over, and they are able to co-design with ATI.

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
I think they're going to need a cutting-edge, mainstream-friendly name or acronym. Too bad Intel already uses the "extreme edition" moniker as "FX EXTREME" would be a good name.

1337 Edition, Uber kewl edition or Who would buy this edition.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
Don't really have much to say about this. Just that "4x4" isn't going to be the official name and it will be using processors dubbed "FX". What the final platform name is I have no idea. I don't think FX+ works though. Can't imagine people saying I have a FX+60.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

1337 Edition, Uber kewl edition or Who would buy this edition.

What I want to know is this:

With the fanboys running around now saying "..the average person doesnt need that much power anyway..." in reference to the Core 2, why would anyone need the Uber Kewl if is supposedly going to be so much faster? :wink:

racerboywonder

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Actually, I think the official AMD name is (and I'm seriously, seriously not joking about this) "Quad-Father". I forgot where I saw I read this, but I couldn't believe AMD actually called it that. You should probably be able to find it if you Google it or something. Even if it's an internal name, that's just ridiculous...

edit: Here's one link I found off Google... http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MjAzMTgsLCxobmV3cywsLDE=

Flopmouth_Fish

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Does it really matter what they call it? I am an AMD fan and even I think 4x4 sounds like a dumb, not to mention expensive idea. They should focus more on beating intel with one cpu instead of needing 2

4x4 is dumb; it's an expensive and inefficient way to beat Conroe. Kinda like the Geforce 7950GX2. Obviously, 4CPUs beats two CPUs, and 2GPUs beats one GPU. Imagine the power consumption of two FX62s in 4x4 (or whatever they call it). Then imagine the price 8O . IMO, 4x4 is just a holdover until AMD finishes K8L.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
What I want to know is this:
With the fanboys running around now saying "..the average person doesnt need that much power anyway..." in reference to the Core 2, why would anyone need the Uber Kewl if is supposedly going to be so much faster? :wink:
That is a really good question and I really tried to think on it but then I got a headache and gave up. :roll: I guess it just goes to show that trying to figure out a fanboy of any kind is hazardous to your health :lol:

Circular logic can do that to ya :wink: