Sign in with
Your question

Not booting up... Please help

Last response: in Systems
August 3, 2006 1:51:45 AM

I just decided to upgrade with the recent price drops. I bought a barebone Intel 840D system from Tiger Direct for less than $200 bucks. I decided to stick with an older platform because I already own an expensive AGP Quadro FX and can't really afford a dual DVI PCI-E Quadro.

I digress. When I hit the power button on my new build I hear one short beep and then both my monitors will show the Logo of the motherboard "Biostar". The screen will stay like that forever. Nothing else happens. I put my finger on my harddrive when I boot and it doesn't seem to vibrate very much. This hard drive worked in my previous system earlier today. Does anybody have any ideas why it isn't booting up or respondiing?

Thanks,
Josh

More about : booting

August 3, 2006 2:13:57 AM

You should be able to feel it vibrating when it gets turned on. Is the power connector in right?

Can you get to the BIOS screen? If so, is the hard drive recognized?

Are your master slave settings right?
August 3, 2006 2:20:55 AM

I'm assuming the jumpers are correct, the hard drive that I migrated to this system was the master drive on the previous system

I'm pretty sure the connections are in correctly. Does it matter which end of the IDE cable is connected to the drive?

I can't get into the bios. I only have a wireless keyboard with a usb dongle. Do I need a PS/2 keyboard to be able to do this?
Related resources
August 3, 2006 2:21:49 AM

Also, thanks for responding so quickly.
August 3, 2006 2:34:12 AM

If you are installing the contents writen on that old hard drive onto a new MB and CPU you will have to reformat the HD and load a fresh install of Windows XP first. HTH
August 3, 2006 2:36:28 AM

I forgot to add that I have my Windows XP pro disc in the CD drive and nothing is happening on that front either.
August 3, 2006 2:41:33 AM

Quote:
I forgot to add that I have my Windows XP pro disc in the CD drive and nothing is happening on that front either.

I would unplug the power to the HD. Then go ahead and let the machine boot into the BIOS (may have to tap delete key, tap, tap, tap...). In your BIOS set Boot to CD as the first boot device. Shut down and plug your HD back in and follow the XP installation.
August 3, 2006 3:01:21 AM

Thanks for your suggestion.

I turned on the system after I removed the power to my HD. This time it beeped and showed the splash screen, then quickly restarted, beeped, and showed the splash screen again. Nothing else happened.

I tried hitting any and every possible keystroke combination to get into the bios. Nothing.

I also just noticed that the lights on USB wireless desktop dongle were not on. I tried moving the plug around and it seems that none of the USB slots are providing power. I believe the USB ports are supposed to supply 5v?

Do I need a PS/2 keyboard to perform this?
August 3, 2006 3:10:40 AM

Yes, I would put a regular keyboard on there when trying to do what you are doing. You might try putting a single stick of RAM in slot 1 and booting into BIOS that way. I'd leave the HD unplugged until you get the BIOS to post and change the 1st boot device to Boot From CD. Then plug the power back to the HD and load a fresh install of windows on there.

You might try reseating you video card too. If you still can't get to BIOS post, try resetting the CMOS with the jumper.
August 3, 2006 3:16:53 AM

I'll "borrow" a keyboard from work tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again,
Josh
August 3, 2006 3:36:52 AM

Quote:

Thanks again,
Josh

Let me know what was causing the lock up before post to BIOS. You can post to BIOS with just a single stick of RAM in slot one and a video card. I would unplug everything else, HD, CDs, lights, fans...everything. If it won't post you know it's the RAM, MB, CPU or video card. If you have spare RAM and video card, swap them out and try posting to BIOS. Leave the HD unplugged. The BIOS is a chip on your MB and your hard dive is loaded for you old system with the old system drivers. You new system will immediately fail when that old windows installation trys to load up. Hope this helps.
August 4, 2006 2:13:17 AM

So with a standard keyboard I've tried every key in every conceivable sequence and I can't get out of the splash screen.

I've reassembled my old system and the vid card is OK.
I only have one stick of ram so I can't verify if that is the problem.

I've disconnected every other component.

I'm I correct in thinking that the either the CPU, motherboard, or Ram are defective?
August 4, 2006 2:35:02 AM

Quote:
So with a standard keyboard I've tried every key in every conceivable sequence and I can't get out of the splash screen.

I've reassembled my old system and the vid card is OK.
I only have one stick of ram so I can't verify if that is the problem.

I've disconnected every other component.

I'm I correct in thinking that the either the CPU, motherboard, or Ram are defective?

My experience says yes. You can not post to BIOS. The only things you are usinbg are RAM, video card, processor, MB and PSU. You know your video card is good. Your RAM works in another computer, but could still be the culprit in the new setup. You are left withe the CPU, MB or PSU. You get a picture, even if it is only a minimal picture, so the video card is working and so is the processor. If the processor was fried you would get a blank screen. It is possible the processor is weak and fails when you put it under load. More likely your MB. It is so easy to damage a MB when installing.

So MB, RAM or PSU. Pick your poison. The only way to know if your processor is good is to put it in another MB and see if it works. If you have another PSU you might try that. Swapping out the RAM is a good idea. From what you have tried, and I know you have tried everything you know, I would guess the MB is bad or damaged.
August 4, 2006 2:44:16 AM

We need to put out a call for 440dx. If I can I'll post a message to him to get over here and tell us what's what.
August 4, 2006 2:53:18 AM

Quote:

Thanks again,
Josh

Let me know what was causing the lock up before post to BIOS. You can post to BIOS with just a single stick of RAM in slot one and a video card. I would unplug everything else, HD, CDs, lights, fans...everything. If it won't post you know it's the RAM, MB, CPU or video card. If you have spare RAM and video card, swap them out and try posting to BIOS. Leave the HD unplugged. The BIOS is a chip on your MB and your hard dive is loaded for you old system with the old system drivers. You new system will immediately fail when that old windows installation trys to load up. Hope this helps.

Don't forget the Power Supply. No +5 on the USB ports sounds suspicious to me.
August 4, 2006 3:00:22 AM

Thanks guys for all of your help.
I will try to test the PSU tomorrow morning.

Does anybody have any experience returning stuff to Tiger Direct? Do I have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that THIS is the component that is faulty before they will take anything back?
August 4, 2006 3:02:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys for all of your help.
I will try to test the PSU tomorrow morning.

Does anybody have any experience returning stuff to Tiger Direct? Do I have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that THIS is the component that is faulty before they will take anything back?

If you paid with a credit card and TD won't take it back, remind TD you will dispute the charges with you CC for selling you defective parts. They'll come around.

I PM a message for 440bx. Let's see if he can find this thread and help .
August 4, 2006 3:33:10 AM

While I'm here.

I would love to add a Raid 1 setup. This motherboard claims that it can support this feature. Would this slow the CPU down, or would that be mostly handled by the MB?

I'm an animator and sometimes have 20+ hour renders and every little bottleneck becomes amplified over that length of time.

Here is said MB
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
August 4, 2006 3:50:07 AM

Quote:
While I'm here.

I would love to add a Raid 1 setup. This motherboard claims that it can support this feature. Would this slow the CPU down, or would that be mostly handled by the MB?

I'm an animator and sometimes have 20+ hour renders and every little bottleneck becomes amplified over that length of time.

Here is said MB
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Says your MB supports RAID, but not more specific than that I see. RAID 1 to my knowledge, I have not set up a RAID 1 configuration before, is a mirroring config. You would definately want to use your MB BIOS to set that up. Windows XP pro can do RAID to some extent, but that is slow compared to the controller on your MB, if your MB supports RAID 1. No, I don't think a RAID 1 config will slow down your processor. A RAID 0 config should speed up the process of HD to CPU data transfer.
August 4, 2006 4:02:54 AM

I set up a micro board recently. This one doesn't have RAID, but does have SATA 3. I have never even used the onboard video. I have the rev 1 species. If it was rev 2 it would run Conroe.

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=0&mode...

Pentium D 805 Smithfield @3.4
ASUS P5LD2-VM
OCZ Gold PC5400 DDR3 667 mhz 512 x 4
x1800xt
August 4, 2006 4:37:44 AM

Hello Josh,

Quote:
Does it matter which end of the IDE cable is connected to the drive?

Yes, it does matter. A drive jumpered as "master" must always be at the end of the cable and a drive jumpered as "slave" must always be on the mid connector.

This is true even if your drive is jumpered as "cs" (Cable Select), the end connector should always be used first (the "cs" drive automatically becomes a master drive). The mid connector should only be used if there is already a drive on the end connector.

As Badge suggested, you need to arm yourself of a standard PS2 keyboard and mouse. This is critical, you cannot test a system that does not boot with a wireless keyboard and/or mouse.

For reference your motherboard specs are found at http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/mainboard/board.php?...(V1.0)

I presumed you got a version 1.0 since you got it from TigerDirect. There is a version 7.0. Correct me if the presumption that it is v1.0 is incorrect.

For this post, the version does not matter since the tests I want you to carry out apply to both versions. But later knowing the correct version will be important.

Test 1.

First,

Disconnect everything from your motherboard except,

a. Power supply
b. PS2 Keyboard and PS2 Mouse.
c. Power Switch and Power light indicator
d. External speaker (if it uses it, I don't think it does but just in case)
e. CPU, heatsink and fan

In other words, there should not be any IDE cables plugged into the motherboard nor any other cable whatsoever for USB ports or any other interface provided by the motherboard. That also means, no video card or any other card on the motherboard. Nothing but what is explicitly listed above.

Note that the *memory* should *NOT* be on the motherboard either. Keep reading you'll know why.

Second,

Power your system ON.

You should hear your system emitting one long beep every other second. If it does not do that then your motherboard is defective (it is not detecting that there is no memory!)

Test 2.

a. Turn the system off.

b. Plug your monitor into the VGA connector provided by the motherboard. Your motherboard has built in video, that's what I want you to use now. Don't use your AGP card at this time.

c. Install the 512MB memory module

d. Power the system ON. and *very quickly* do step e.

e. Press the "Del" key a bunch of times for the next 3 to 5 seconds

f. Wait patiently a maximum of 5 minutes.

The Biostar screen should appear and after a while (maybe as long as 5 minutes) it should get into the BIOS setup. The reason it may take that long is because a lot of motherboards will attempt to sense the presence of a floppy drive and some will wait "forever" (5 minutes) or so before giving up and deciding that there is no floppy.

Do these things, let me know what happened.

HTH.
August 4, 2006 4:43:12 AM

I forgot Test 3 in the above post.

Test 3.

If Test 2 does not get you into the BIOS setup after waiting 5 minutes then clear the CMOS and repeat step 2.
August 4, 2006 6:10:21 AM

I can't believe how helpful you guys are. I will perform these tests tomorrow when I get back from work.

THANKS!
August 4, 2006 11:13:21 PM

The bad news is the board didn't pass the first step.

The good news is that Tiger Direct is sending me a new board. Since they ship from a Chicago suburb I should be receiving the MB on Monday. They were very helpful and were willing to send me the part within 2 minutes of getting on the line. Kudos Tiger Direct!!!

Thank you 440 and Badge for your meticulous help. I will let you know when my rig is up and running next week.

PS the PC800 RIMMS from my old P4 2.4 and the free SD card from my order sold for 175 on ebay... After tax, rebates, and shipping I'm more than doubling my rendering speed for less than 125 bucks!!!
August 4, 2006 11:28:46 PM

Quote:
The bad news is the board didn't pass the first step.

The good news is that Tiger Direct is sending me a new board. Since they ship from a Chicago suburb I should be receiving the MB on Monday. They were very helpful and were willing to send me the part within 2 minutes of getting on the line. Kudos Tiger Direct!!!

Thank you 440 and Badge for your meticulous help. I will let you know when my rig is up and running next week.

PS the PC800 RIMMS from my old P4 2.4 and the free SD card from my order sold for 175 on ebay... After tax, rebates, and shipping I'm more than doubling my rendering speed for less than 125 bucks!!!

Sounds good. Let us know when you get the new board running. Didn't get past step 1. Thanks to 440bx, now I know Step 1! :D 
August 4, 2006 11:31:02 PM

I have just wrestled several hours uninstalling all of net framework and then reinstalling. I fixed a major hitch in my giddyup and didn't even need 440bx. This time! :lol: 

440...I can walk you throught it. LOL!
August 8, 2006 8:53:05 PM

I already received the new motherboard. Everything is running great. It's loud and hot... but that's what you get for a $200 upgrade. I was just looking for something to hold me over until Vista and Kentsfield, since the next version of Maya is 64 bit and fully multitheaded.

Thanks for all of your help.

Josh
August 8, 2006 9:06:06 PM

Quote:
I already received the new motherboard. Everything is running great. It's loud and hot... but that's what you get for a $200 upgrade. I was just looking for something to hold me over until Vista and Kentsfield, since the next version of Maya is 64 bit and fully multitheaded.

Thanks for all of your help.

Josh

Hey that's great. I'm assumingyou got the same Biostar replacement? I don't know, maybe you went with something else.

I have a new ASUS A8n-SLI Deluxe delivered today. I'll be installing it in the system in my sig tonight if I can hold my eyes open. Looking forward to the 5-10% performance increase going to ASUS from MSI.

If you have heat issues, sometimes a quick fix is to get some 120mm case fans in there. If you have 80mm fans you can buy adapters, 80mm-120mm, and get a large fan(s) in there. A 120mm fan lowered my video card temp from 58c to 48c. ard to believe, but it did.

That was fast getting a new board.
August 8, 2006 9:31:59 PM

I called Tigerdirect at 7pm on Friday night and it arrived Monday morning. They have certainly won my business in the future.

Good luck on the new build. I was thinking about going with AM2, but I would have to scrap my AGP Quadro card (the damn thing cost close to $1000 when it came out) and that would also lock my upgrade path onto AMD with a one chip motherboard. I'm curiuos to see what 4x4 and quad core can achieve before I drop another boatload of money on a PCI-E workstation card.

I did some preliminary rendering tests and my old P4 2.4 533mhz rendered a scene in 3min30sec. My new 840D was able to finish that same scene in one minute flat. I find it pretty amazing that in about a year from now I will be able to increase my speed another 2-5 times. I love this technology war... except I can't charge as much to my clients for "render time".

I'm going to do some overclocking experiments this weekend. I don't expect much, but I'm going to add some of those case fans that you recommended and try to get it to 3.6. I'll let you know how that goes.

Good luck on the new build,
Josh
August 8, 2006 9:40:42 PM

Quote:
I called Tigerdirect at 7pm on Friday night and it arrived Monday morning. They have certainly won my business in the future.

Good luck on the new build. I was thinking about going with AM2, but I would have to scrap my AGP Quadro card (the damn thing cost close to $1000 when it came out) and that would also lock my upgrade path onto AMD with a one chip motherboard. I'm curiuos to see what 4x4 and quad core can achieve before I drop another boatload of money on a PCI-E workstation card.

I did some preliminary rendering tests and my old P4 2.4 533mhz rendered a scene in 3min30sec. My new 840D was able to finish that same scene in one minute flat. I find it pretty amazing that in about a year from now I will be able to increase my speed another 2-5 times. I love this technology war... except I can't charge as much to my clients for "render time".

I'm going to do some overclocking experiments this weekend. I don't expect much, but I'm going to add some of those case fans that you recommended and try to get it to 3.6. I'll let you know how that goes.

Good luck on the new build,
Josh

We will purchae new software likely from this company next year. I will be responsible for the installation, use and maintenance of this software as well as the digital x-ray machinery that uses it. I will operate all of it on a day to day basis. I do that now, but with older non-digital equiptment.

I have 15 computers I have built and run currently between home and business. It will be interesting to see what combination of computer hardware works best with the new digital equiptment we will be getting.

http://www.dolphinimaging.com/new_site/home.html
August 9, 2006 4:24:07 AM

I admit that I'm a noob and I'm curious about the performance increase that you are going to receive from swapping the motherboard. I always thought that the motherboard could facilitate an increase in speed by giving access to more advanced components (i.e. PCI-E or DDR2) or being better equiped to overclock, but I didn't realize that the motherboard itself would increase your overall computer speed. Especially with an AMD product which has the memory contoller on the CPU. I'm not sure if you are equipped to answer this question, but what is actually happening to increase your system performance?

Also, I got my CPU up to 3.6ghz at 58c without any further adjustments. I think I'm going to leave it there until I can add a couple of those big fans.
August 9, 2006 8:30:09 PM

Quote:
I admit that I'm a noob and I'm curious about the performance increase that you are going to receive from swapping the motherboard. I always thought that the motherboard could facilitate an increase in speed by giving access to more advanced components (i.e. PCI-E or DDR2) or being better equiped to overclock, but I didn't realize that the motherboard itself would increase your overall computer speed. Especially with an AMD product which has the memory contoller on the CPU. I'm not sure if you are equipped to answer this question, but what is actually happening to increase your system performance?

Also, I got my CPU up to 3.6ghz at 58c without any further adjustments. I think I'm going to leave it there until I can add a couple of those big fans.

Here's a PC World performance review from last year of of the two boards I just swapped out:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/120224-1/article.html

I have the slower MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI and I just swapped it for the probably 10% performance increase of the ASUS A8n-SLI Deluxe. This is only one review, but I see benchmark reviews all the time and the ASUS boards are used often.

For me, I noticed my ASUS boards are faster out of the box than my MSI, DFI, EPOX and Intel boards I am currently using. I have an ABIT board that is fast and have had another ABIt board in the past that was also a fast board. many boards from ASUS and ABIT are designed for the enthusiast and speed. Not all MB manufacturer's are equal where the enthusiast is concerned. Premium ASUS boards are built for the enthusiast, used by professional reviewers and like I said, are generally faster out of the box. That has been my experience.
August 9, 2006 8:52:22 PM

But always remember there is often a tradeoff between performance and reliability.

Or is it simply that Asus are better at making motherboards? I've had four motherboards in my life, two MSI, one heaven knows who, and the other Asus. The Asus was the one that went dead. From my own experience, I'd rather take the 10% performance hit.

But then, I'm not a user that lives on the edge. And I've just had bad luck with Asus. I'm sure they are as good as any one else, I just got unlucky.
August 9, 2006 9:00:40 PM

Quote:
But always remember there is often a tradeoff between performance and reliability.

Not necessarily. I can have have both any time.

Quote:
Or is it simply that Asus are better at making motherboards?

I don't know. I enjoy my three ASUS boards. Much more so than my other boards. I have dozens of boards running.

Quote:
I've had four motherboards in my life, two MSI, one heaven knows who, and the other Asus. The Asus was the one that went dead. From my own experience, I'd rather take the 10% performance hit.

That's your decision.

Quote:
But then, I'm not a user that lives on the edge. And I've just had bad luck with Asus. I'm sure they are as good as any one else, I just got unlucky.

ASUS is known generally in the indusrtry to produce high quality motherboards. If it doesn't matter to you, ASUS is obvuiously not for you.
August 9, 2006 10:34:32 PM

Hi badge,

I meant to reply to artguyjosh, but you seem to have taken what I said very personally, and you have become a little confrontational, probably accidentally.

I have no problem with Asus in general, but was simply relating my experience, as you were yours. I would rather have the 10% performance increase, but alas, my bad experience didn't allow me to enjoy that from an Asus board. I may well get one again in the future, but not after I've just had a bad motherboard.

Having stability and increased performance is great, however, pushing performance of components can have its price, as everyone knows. Overheating, shortened lifespan, mysterious errors etc. High performance motherboards are not overclocked, as far as I know, so they are great, and I'm sure all the extra heatsinks, fans, take care of the added pressure put on the components.

I'm sure anyone who buys Asus will be very pleased with their purchase. But pick a product, pick a manufacturer, and you will find hoards of people who have bad things to say about it, 99% of the time. Even, I fear, Asus.

And high quality does matter to me, that's why I went back to what worked for me in the past!

Peace.
August 9, 2006 11:06:07 PM

I added a 120mm fan to the rear of the case. I'm still contimplating adding one to the front, but the local electronic store only had fans with LCD lighting on them and my computer already emmitts enough light as it is... I often render overnight and my computer is in my bedroom.

I got my 840D up to 3.66ghz. My motherboard will only let me increase the FSB a couple more units (232mhz FSB max) and I don't really think it is wise to up the voltage for a max 50mhz increase in frequency. Opinions?

What do people monitor their CPU temps with? I know good motherboards (like your ASUS) comes with software that does this. Is there a good third party application for this task?

If you were curious what kind of work that I do, you can see my animation at
http://www.joshuapritzker.com
ps you need flash8 or higher

And once again,
Thanks for all of your input!
August 9, 2006 11:07:23 PM

Also that is some cool imaging technology that your company does
August 9, 2006 11:11:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I added a 120mm fan to the rear of the case. I'm still contimplating adding one to the front, but the local electronic store only had fans with LCD lighting on them and my computer already emmitts enough light as it is... I often render overnight and my computer is in my bedroom.

I got my 840D up to 3.66ghz. My motherboard will only let me increase the FSB a couple more units (232mhz FSB max) and I don't really think it is wise to up the voltage for a max 50mhz increase in frequency. Opinions?

What do people monitor their CPU temps with? I know good motherboards (like your ASUS) comes with software that does this. Is there a good third party application for this task?

I use speedfan 4.29 to monitor temps here:

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

You have a nice overclock there. I have my Pentium D 805 Smithfield clock to 3.4 now. Had it running at 3.5 for a time.

Pentium D 805 Smithfield
ASUS P5LD2-VM micro
OCZ Gold PC5400 DDR2 512 x 4 667 mhz

I really enjoy messing around with this micro build.
August 9, 2006 11:13:56 PM

Quote:

And once again,

Looks like fun. Sounds like me in the background with my Strat and 100 watt tube :D 

I'll show your work to my son tonight. he'll likely have a question or two. Like can you teach me how to do it?
August 9, 2006 11:17:38 PM

Quote:

And once again,

Those 120 mm fans can make a difference. I will use 120 from now on when I can. I have one in the back of my micro case. Yeah, you mentioned not upping the voltage to your processor. I try and not do that. Burned up my Gigabyte board and 2.4 AMD chip by getting the voltage too high. You have a real nice overclock. If you have any BIOS lock for your PCI bus, lock it at a fixed rate. That may get you a few mhz. higher with your FSB setting.
August 9, 2006 11:47:41 PM

Quote:
Hello Josh,

Does it matter which end of the IDE cable is connected to the drive?

Yes, it does matter. A drive jumpered as "master" must always be at the end of the cable and a drive jumpered as "slave" must always be on the mid connector.

just fyi, that's bs. yes, that's the reccomended configuration, but if the drives are jumpered as master and slave it doesn't matter which end of the cable they're connected to.

i can attest to this as someone with 8 ide devices in one machine.

Valis
August 9, 2006 11:51:29 PM

Quote:
Also that is some cool imaging technology that your company does

Digital x-ray. X-ray onto a hard drive. Integrate digital photographty onto the x-ray. Make hundreds of skull measurements/calculations at the click of a mouse. Show projected treatment results with the aid of 3d animation. Nice. 'spensive lucy.
!