Deleting Shared Documents Folder

Just got XP. Why can't I delete the Shared Documents
Folder under My Computer if I don't intend to use it?
Also, in Windows Explorer, why is there a separate
category of "My Documents" right after Desktop that
repeats the personal folder under My Computer just below.
Isn't this confusing to the user?

It is a system folder. It cannot be deleted.

"donna" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just got XP. Why can't I delete the Shared Documents
> Folder under My Computer if I don't intend to use it?
> Also, in Windows Explorer, why is there a separate
> category of "My Documents" right after Desktop that
> repeats the personal folder under My Computer just below.
> Isn't this confusing to the user?

"donna" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just got XP. Why can't I delete the Shared Documents
> Folder under My Computer if I don't intend to use it?

You can't just delete it because it is a system folder. If you really
don't want it there, you can remove it like so:

Start the Registry Editor
1.. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \
CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer \
2.. Right-click an empty space in the right pane and select New >
DWORD Value
3.. Name the new value NoSharedDocuments
4.. Double-click this new value, and enter 1 as its Value data
5.. Close the registry editor
6.. Log off, or restart Windows for the changes to take effect.
WARNING: Editing the Registry can be dangerous. Do so at your own risk.

> Also, in Windows Explorer, why is there a separate
> category of "My Documents" right after Desktop that
> repeats the personal folder under My Computer just below.
> Isn't this confusing to the user?

It's just another way to reach your documents, much like a shortcut is
another way to reach a program or file.

Rich C.For a limited time get FREE HELP for your PC at
The PC Help Network
www.pchelpnetwork.com