Sign in with
Your question

LG..19in 1600:1 contrast ratio 2ms response time...$395 CAD?

Last response: in Components
August 3, 2006 3:56:28 AM

i was in futureshop comparing prices for printers and z-5500 speakers, and walked down an isle of LCD monitors.... now with my new system i was going to get a viewsonic 19in, high quality crt, cause i have space. But this one LCD caught my eye, because it almost looked 3d while playing v for vendeta, copared the the low res, grainy look of the others... i was wowed and took a look. The specs said it was an LG, 1600:1 contrast ration(highest i've ever seen), and a 2ms response time(lowest i've seen on a high contrast monitor), and so i figured it would be very exspensive... $395 canadian...WTF, thats insane. Has anyone seen this, i'm going back tomorrow to pick up an mp3 player, AND consider buying this instead of the crt, because if i can get the same performance, less space, nicer look overall, and no tumor in my head, for slightly more, i'll go for it. Now i don't know how it performs in games, but i figure there must be some catch lol... nothings that good 8O :wink:

btw... sorry for the run-on paragraph... i'm excited :lol: 

EDIT: AHA... i found this beast MONITOR

there must be a catch i don't see... why is it so cheap, i would expect close to a $1000 for something like this.

EDIT: i think i found the catch unfortunatly... it says grey to grey response time, not black to whit to black like i think it normally is. Is this still good, it looked good, but again, havn't seen it in a game. :cry:  :wink:
August 3, 2006 4:41:46 AM

Quote:
i was in futureshop comparing prices for printers and z-5500 speakers, and walked down an isle of LCD monitors.... now with my new system i was going to get a viewsonic 19in, high quality crt, cause i have space. But this one LCD caught my eye, because it almost looked 3d while playing v for vendeta, copared the the low res, grainy look of the others... i was wowed and took a look. The specs said it was an LG, 1600:1 contrast ration(highest i've ever seen), and a 2ms response time(lowest i've seen on a high contrast monitor), and so i figured it would be very exspensive... $395 canadian...WTF, thats insane. Has anyone seen this, i'm going back tomorrow to pick up an mp3 player, AND consider buying this instead of the crt, because if i can get the same performance, less space, nicer look overall, and no tumor in my head, for slightly more, i'll go for it. Now i don't know how it performs in games, but i figure there must be some catch lol... nothings that good 8O :wink:

there must be a catch i don't see... why is it so cheap, i would expect close to a $1000 for something like this.

EDIT: i think i found the catch unfortunatly... it says grey to grey response time, not black to whit to black like i think it normally is. Is this still good, it looked good, but again, havn't seen it in a game. :cry:  :wink:

Well since it doesn't show the exact spec for the black to black response time then its hard to hell exactly how good of a monitor it is, even with a grey to grey of 2ms thats still pretty fast, that would probably make the black to black under 10ms i would guess(just a guess though), so nonetheless a contrast ratio that high is still very impressive, so if you think you like to play at 1280x1024 then do it, otherwise i would look at a bigger LCD or go with your CRT,
you can get some pretty good LCDs for that, you should check out the Samsung Syncmaster 204B, 20.1 inches, good size, decent contrast and reponse time for $333, with a res of 1600x1200...but the choice is yours
August 3, 2006 5:45:51 AM

Quote:

Look at the color: It's 16.2 millions, and it's not gonna be good. Many vendor use some tweaking with their LCD panel so it cranks up from 16-bit to display in 16.2 millions (which is almost 24-bit). And of course, since the panel is not natively 16.7 millions color, the picture quality suffer. Dont just look at contrast ratio and response time, as contrast ratio is just telling you how distinctive the white is from the black, but nothing else between. And response time is just for gaming, I dont think you want to play game with a bad picture quality, right?
Related resources
August 3, 2006 5:58:18 AM

Also, here is the link to another thread in Toms

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/ce/LCD-NEC-LG-L1970HR-19...

The contrast ratio 1600:1 is DFC or Digital Fine Contrast, which is not based on the panel itself. And it's dynamic contrast, and I think LG just trying to fool the consumers for having such a high contrast ratio. It's like Digital Zoom and Optical zoom on a camera, and everyone knows Digital Zoom means nothing.
August 4, 2006 1:09:08 AM

Quote:
Also, here is the link to another thread in Toms

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/ce/LCD-NEC-LG-L1970HR-19...

The contrast ratio 1600:1 is DFC or Digital Fine Contrast, which is not based on the panel itself. And it's dynamic contrast, and I think LG just trying to fool the consumers for having such a high contrast ratio. It's like Digital Zoom and Optical zoom on a camera, and everyone knows Digital Zoom means nothing.

i'm probably just gonna get the viewsonic e90fb like i was going to before, but even if those stats are tweaked or bad, that screen looked amazing. But with crt i won't have to worry about native res, and response time, and shit... just tumors lol
!