Laserjets - Media Types

I have just bought an Epson Aculaser C1100 and a couple of cautionary
warnings interest me:

1) We are advised against using "coated inkjet media". Does anyone know
why? I have a ton of the stuff from my abandoned inkjets.
2) I heard years ago it was inadvisable to print on one side of the
paper in a LJet and then reverse the paper to print on the other side.
Does this still apply does anyone know? This printer's duplex unit is
about 150GBP

Doubled Up
5 answers Last reply
More about laserjets media types

    Re question 2:
    Paper has a curl, and some paper manufacturers will tell you which side
    to print first (e.g. Xerox). If you print the "wrong" side first, the
    heat can cause the paper to curl in a way that increases the
    possibility of a paper jam. This may be the source of the advice.

    <fastrack1966@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I have just bought an Epson Aculaser C1100 and a couple of cautionary
    > warnings interest me:
    >
    > 1) We are advised against using "coated inkjet media". Does anyone know
    > why? I have a ton of the stuff from my abandoned inkjets.
    > 2) I heard years ago it was inadvisable to print on one side of the
    > paper in a LJet and then reverse the paper to print on the other side.
    > Does this still apply does anyone know? This printer's duplex unit is
    > about 150GBP
    >
    > Doubled Up

    Hello-

    I'm not trying to be arrogant, but, Espson doesn't make LaserJet printers.
    LaserJet is a brand name of particular model HP laser printers.

    Don't put coated inkjet paper in a laser printer- heat from the fuser does
    nasty things. Heat from the fuser is also a problem for running the paper
    through twice- you can remelt the ink that's on the back side and do nasty
    things to the fuser. But modern technology is better, I have manually
    duplexed on laser printers successfully, but your mileage may vary

    Mark

    In message <1118149454.393616.138530@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    fastrack1966@clara.co.uk writes
    >I have just bought an Epson Aculaser C1100 and a couple of cautionary
    >warnings interest me:
    >
    >1) We are advised against using "coated inkjet media". Does anyone know
    >why? I have a ton of the stuff from my abandoned inkjets.

    Hint: Don't put the inkjet special papers in the laser. I've never done
    it but apparently the coatings tend to melt and knacker[1] the machine

    I've just bought some rather decent Data Copy 160 gsm^2 glossy paper
    from Viking. I've also used a lot of HP's soft glossy laser paper

    >2) I heard years ago it was inadvisable to print on one side of the
    >paper in a LJet and then reverse the paper to print on the other side.
    >Does this still apply does anyone know? This printer's duplex unit is
    >about 150GBP

    I could be wrong but AFAIC this has always been marketing fud, if the
    duplex addon can take the piece of paper and turn it round then surely
    you can do the same thing manually. There are some suggestions that it
    is more likely to screw up in the machine doing it manually, but I can't
    say I've noticed any higher jamming from this than from single sided
    printing.

    [1] This is the technical term!

    --
    Timothy

    > I'm not trying to be arrogant, but, Espson doesn't make LaserJet printers.
    > LaserJet is a brand name of particular model HP laser printers.

    I think he was trying to say in the past he read in the Ljet manual and
    stated manual duplex printing was not reccomended. I know this HP
    manual and have used it to win arguments regarding paper curl. I never
    saw it become an issue until the printer became 10 years old, and even
    then the issue was the paper pickup roller.

    Now that onion skin dot matrix i've seen used in HP laserjets, or I
    should say I've seen catch fire in HP laserjets on it's way to the
    straight path output tray. I've not seen it catch fire when going
    around the U turn but have seen it spit out ash. I've not tried inkjet
    glossy paper but i've seen some of that bargin store stuff turn to goo
    on my heater.

    Thanks everyone. It looks like I have two choices, keep pouring the
    window cleaning fluid through my inkjet heads to reverse the
    deteriorating quality or advertise all the coated inkjet media I've got!

Printers Epson Peripherals