why bother buying conroe if kentsfield is soon

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
i mean really, it's coming out in like 4 months, and the wait is definately worth it if you do video editing and such right?

If you can wait, wait. Worst case scenario, kentsfield doesnt live up to the forthcoming hype, but it drives down Core 2 prices regardless. You win either way

Peace

Artmic

Distinguished
May 27, 2002
i mean really, it's coming out in like 4 months, and the wait is definately worth it if you do video editing and such right?

I'm in a situation where i can't wait, my computer is showing its age and is becoming hard to work with, along with the fact that i'm fearing it will die on me sooner or later(probably sooner).

As for Kentsfield, hmmm, you can always replace the conroe with it at a later time, if the motherboard you bought lets you do that.
(A nice littel upgrade if you will)

NightStriker

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Ya lets all wait for the next generation of computer hardware to come out! Since this generation just came out! If you wait for computer hardware there WILL ALWAYS be NEW stuff comming out soon SO you would be waiting forever!

NaDa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
Yes I guess you could always wait. Buy a PC for what you need.
4 Cores looks really nice but in reality it's actually braging rights. The software simply aint there yet. I have 3800x2 and can tell you that so many programs that even use two cores cant use them up to 100%.
When I compress using DivX it uses about 70% on each core. Thats 140% of a single core, meaning 1,4x faster than single core at same frequency not 2x.

I dont believe you would actualy buy one they are probably gonna be way too expensive.

NaDa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
It should be a bounch I havent read much about it but most certanly there will be different chip frequency, desktop and server version (maybe a cheap celly with 256kb cache per core :D ) and I have heard it would use the 1333FSB but I think a proc that size would be starved by that bus or the memory for that matter. It would really need quad channel memory I think.

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
Ya lets all wait for the next generation of computer hardware to come out! Since this generation just came out! If you wait for computer hardware there WILL ALWAYS be NEW stuff comming out soon SO you would be waiting forever!

You have a point there :lol: C2D ROCKS

JoBu

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Sure, you can keep waiting for ever since new hardware is always on its way ;)
Of course, kentsfield will probably be great and also drive down Core 2's prices. But then again you may already have a MB capible of running both Core 2 and kentsfield.

We have seen how many posts in the past 6 months:
"Buy now or wait for Conroe" :?
So Conroe is launched and in a week we have:
"Buy now or wait for Kentsfield" 8O

:idea:!
Just go back through all the archives and substitute the word "conroe" with "kentsfield".
Then substitute "amd" with "conroe" and bingo, you will have roughly 17,645 opinions on why you should or should not wait for Kentsfield.
:wink:

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
You can always wait 4 months and something new will come out. I prefer to actually use computers, not just continue to wait for something new and better to come along.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
We have seen how many posts in the past 6 months:
"Buy now or wait for Conroe" :?
So Conroe is launched and in a week we have:
"Buy now or wait for Kentsfield" 8O

:idea:!
Just go back through all the archives and substitute the word "conroe" with "kentsfield".
Then substitute "amd" with "conroe" and bingo, you will have roughly 17,645 opinions on why you should or should not wait for Kentsfield.
:wink:

dang, you're good at counting! the highest I ever got was 300...

anyways... back to the topic. as some of the people stated, new technology is always coming out, so do what they say. buy a new computer if you need it. just look at what I have now. yes, it runs... but it's a S754 w/ single channel memory and AGP slot. It's been a good machine... 2 years and counting (24/7...downtime out of 2 year period...2-4 weeks? give or take). But right now, seems like a good time to upgrade. And as I stated in another thread. Dual Core, nice, Quad Core 8O Until software designers learn to use multiple cores. Dual Core is nice enough... at least to home users. For work related... depends on what kind of work you do :p

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Agree

people never thought of prices when they talked about kentsfield. you can do something simple, how much would 2 E6700 cost? if one is $530, then two of them is $1060. Now add retail store prices,taxes etc.

Is not worth the wait, conroe is gonna stay for a long time. I guarantee. By the time people start programming for quad-cores intel will announce 8-cores and there will always be people like you saying, why buying kentsfield when in 1 year we will have 8-cores (yorkfield I think)

siggsy

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Exactly, production and development by Intel or AMD won't stop. If you want to wait for the next best thing on the market, you'll be waiting until the grim reaper makes his call. Live for today and you'll find what you are looking for.

When I bought my PC, it was the best that I could afford at the time, not the best technology. Why spend a fortune on something that is out of date by the time you've tested it fully unless ofcourse it's just for bragging.

Most architecture out there has specific jobs in mind and a computer is a personal thing. Buy what suits your needs.

At the time of my purchase and still now, it was bought to provide me with a rig to surf the net, listen to music, watch DVD's and play lots of games. It does that and more - I'm happy.

Ok, so the latest gear will give me more fps, load windows faster and will last longer than my current setup but so what, it's not enough to get me ordering. The time when I get drawn in to spend some cash on an upgrade is normally when I look at the back of a game and realise that it won't run on my pc.

Each to their own I suppose but if you need/want a new pc now, buy one now. If you don't need one, wait and get what's new on the market when you do need one.

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Well, while I haven't read too much about the kentsfield archetechture I'd say even if it was to come out in 4 months that means 6 months until it is a reasonable price and has good mobos etc to run it on. Also if it is reasonably same archetechture (Yeah I cannot spell) I'd imagine some heat/power issues. From what I've seen I plan on building a conroe machine soon and Ocing it to 3 gb on high end simple air cooling with the lowest chip I can get to 12x multiplier and a 4 mb buffer but I think the e6300 and e6500 I think it was the discontinued the 4mb cache. I'll probably start a thread with a few questions if I don't see them brought up within the forums. It's that time again where I go insane and read every artice/web board post I can find for 4 months b4 I give in and buy/finally feel as though I've done enough research for my next pc.

Mrgreen371

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
If you want a new system and can afford one, get one asap before your wife of girl friend puts a spending freeze on you like mine just did. I was waiting for Conroe but now we are going to buy a house so I have to wait. Although this does give me some incentive to help with the house hunting.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

True, but if you never wait, you'll be upgrading some component at least every 4 months. If you got the cash, and you're into that, it’s cool. But if you're not about having the bleeding edge tech, then there's no point to upgrading if you don’t have to. Usually when your hardware is about to fail, or it can no longer keep up with the demands of software.

There’s never really a good time to upgrade (except sales), or wait. Right now with Intel’s current offerings, the hardware side of the industry is on the verge of catching back up to software demands. If Core 4 and 4x4 live up to expectations and if R600 and Nvidia’s new dream child work, hardware will exceed ( only temporarily ) software demands.

Frankly, IMO it doesn’t seem to make sense to upgrade right now, unless you have to. Theoretically, Vista is right around the corner. If it follows the trend of MS's other OSs it will be a hardware resource sucking black hole. Sooner or later, most of us will have to upgrade to Vista, unless a miracle happens and some company figures out how to get Linux working efficiently for all software. Upgrading to Vista will be painfull. How much pain Vista will inflict will depend on how powerful your hardware is.

If you’re a diehard Linux user though, go for it.

Peace

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Vista isn't around the corner. Microsoft have said that it will ship when it is ready and only then, and they also stated that this will not be until the second half of 2007 at the earliest.

Core

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006

It's a legitimate question. I'm not sure why some of these folks jump on the band wagon of something new will always come around.

Buy what is best for you and have that be the end of it.

History Lesson: I built my first system 2 years ago. I did this with no help from forums such as these and I made a huge mistake. I bought a 478 P4 3.2 Northwood with an AGP MB that I thought would be upgradeable for a long time. Well, not even two months later PCI-E comes out. They stopped making 478 chips nearly as quick. Just like that my $1500 became obsolete as far as upgrading, not even two months after I bought it.

Had I "WAITED" two months I would have had a 775 chip with DDR2 memory with PCI-E board. All of these are still being made and sold today. The 478 has nothing new for it, AGP gets a hand-me-out every once in a while (but you pay through the nose for it) and DDR memory is useless for newer mother boards. Had I WAITED two months I would have components that are interchangeable to new Conroe systems. But as it stands, I will need to replace my entire system at once to upgrade to Conroe (or to anything for that matter).

Moral of the Story "It does indeed payoff to wait...if you are armed with enough knowledge and know what you want (need)".

So...buy what you want, research the hell out of it and see which will work best for you. At least you found a place to learn about new products and took the opportunity to ask the question.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Vista isn't around the corner. Microsoft have said that it will ship when it is ready and only then, and they also stated that this will not be until the second half of 2007 at the earliest.

LOL. Around the corner is a figurative term. The last date I saw was Jan 07, but that was for the "rushed" release. Frankly, I wouldnt be suprised if it didnt come out until late 2008

Peace

ArbY

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2004

Nah wait 'til we have a colony on Mars or a third nipple appears on your forehead.

Those signs alone will tell you when it's time to upgrade. And, as you said, the wait is definitely worth it.

n20

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
The way i see it, if you keep waiting for new technology, your not going to get a PC are you... because you well never keep up

save_the_P4

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I will wait about half a year or so. By that time, kentsfield, vista and gpus with directx10 will be on the market so I can buy a pc with quite new hardware and software that is intended to be upgradable. That's an important point as the moral of a story a few posts ago told us... :)
In my case, though, I've decided to wait because now I wouldn't have the time to use the new workstation for freelance purposes, which is my reason to upgrade from a 5 year old pc...
But if I decided to quit my current job and start working as a freelance, I would go for Conroe without any doubts.
So if you're going to use it and you need it, I'd say buy it.