OMG; impossible audio problem SOS!!!

pb_and_james

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
So get this. I recently just installed a SATA HDD (Samsung 2504C) on my ASUS A8V Deluxe and now my audio isn't working. I've tried everything; checked volume levels and mutes on every channel including the master and WAVE, reinstalled Realtek driver (3 different versions including most recent), disabled and reenabled AC'97 on BIOS, etc. There are no hardware conflicts and Windows says that all the drivers are working perfectly and WMP plays everything just fine (as far as the visualization indicates). Tried front and back ports with headphones and speakers and every single setting in Sound Manager. However, even though I have 8 channels (ALC850), Sound Manager will only allow settings for up to six and connector sensing fails (not just doesn't detect, just plain fails) on every output. Could the chipset have died? I need help! :cry:

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
So get this. I recently just installed a SATA HDD (Samsung 2504C) on my ASUS A8V Deluxe and now my audio isn't working. I've tried everything; checked volume levels and mutes on every channel including the master and WAVE, reinstalled Realtek driver (3 different versions including most recent), disabled and reenabled AC'97 on BIOS, etc. There are no hardware conflicts and Windows says that all the drivers are working perfectly and WMP plays everything just fine (as far as the visualization indicates). Tried front and back ports with headphones and speakers and every single setting in Sound Manager. However, even though I have 8 channels (ALC850), Sound Manager will only allow settings for up to six and connector sensing fails (not just doesn't detect, just plain fails) on every output. Could the chipset have died? I need help! :cry:
you added a second hd or replaced your old one and reinstalled windows?
anyway, check on windows for the signed driver stuff... right-click my computer -> hardware -> driver signature or something. If the driver is not signed windows will not load it. I dont know if that's your case, but i had a lot of problems with that. Just to make sure

pb_and_james

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
First, the SATA HDD was my only one; I reinstalled XP and drivers, etc., but the sound woundn't work. Then I reattached my old PATA HDD with the old drivers which did work perfectly, but now won't. So now, both HDDs with drivers won't work.

All the drivers are digitally signed.

Almost every time I enter my case, I leave the power cable attached and touch the case (that is how you discharge/ground yourself, right?)

Anyways, I went back into the BIOS and reset everything back to DEFAULTS and now WMP says that there IS a problem with my sound. Am i SOL?

halcyon

Splendid
I had a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card suddenly stop working on me. Same exact symptoms. I tried it in different drivers, different slots, checked all the settings, reinstalled drivers/software. No conflicts, nothing. It wouldn't output any audio on the line out jacks. But... I had a TV tuner card hooked to the internal auxilary jack and it produced sound when watching TV. I'm guessing some component just got borked on it.

Maybe you didn't ground yourself correctly when entering your case. Maybe you had a power spike. Maybe it was just a coincidence that the onboard died right after installing the HDD (yeah right, I know).

Anyway, my solution was a $30 SB Live card. Works just fine. Here's a good $30 sound card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102002

Yeah, I hate it when things get borked. :D

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Some things have difficulty installing themselves "around" existing devices. It is most likely that you have a hardware conflict that is just not that readily defined/showing.

There used to be problems with a lot of Mobos where IRQ1 and 3 were somehow linked. So even though the PS2 ports were on IRQ3 usually they would conflict with IRQ1 without telling you they were conflicting.

Try and force the sound card to another OPEN IRQ/DMA.

You do not have the luxury of moving the card to find out if it is working. So you will have to single it out on the board and then either fix it or buy a new one. (I know Mr. Obvious ;))

Hope this helps...

pb_and_james

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
OK, now I'm trying to reassign the IRQ for my sound from 22 to 5 (because my manual states that for "Standard Interrupt Assignments" the "Standard Function" for IRQ 5 is "Sound Card". Even though I use an integrated chipset, because it's the only audio device, it should still be under "Sound Card", right? Only problem is, I can't or I don't know how. I went under Device Manager and clicked on the Resources tab, but I can't change anything. I have an administrative account and I went into Safe Mode under "Administrator" but I still couldn't do anything. Somebody please help me... :cry:

pb_and_james

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
OK, so I've updated the BIOS to the 1017 version (most current) and the only thing I could find about IRQs was whether they could be reserved or not. The only other thing was to enable plug and play OS, but I don't want Windows playing around with my resources like that and they don't recommend it either. I've checked the other devices in my computer to see what IRQs they have and they all are assigned the IRQs that are listed as standard in my manual except for my soundcard. It's supposed to be 5, but it's 22. Why and how do I change it? :cry:

pb_and_james

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
You should enable "plug and play OS" was it always disabled?

Yes, it was always disabled. It's a motherboard default and Windows XP advises against it (help article #314068). But will it help my situation? If it does, I will enable it.

ww1065

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
First, the SATA HDD was my only one; I reinstalled XP and drivers, etc., but the sound woundn't work. Then I reattached my old PATA HDD with the old drivers which did work perfectly, but now won't. So now, both HDDs with drivers won't work.

All the drivers are digitally signed.

Almost every time I enter my case, I leave the power cable attached and touch the case (that is how you discharge/ground yourself, right?)

Anyways, I went back into the BIOS and reset everything back to DEFAULTS and now WMP says that there IS a problem with my sound. Am i SOL?

Did you disconnect anything besides the drives at all? Make sure all conectors are seated. Also, make sure the connector going to the front jacks is plugged in correctly.

I have a couple computers that won't send audio to the rear jacks without the front ones, any other connector boards being connected. That was learned from the "School of Hard Knocks!" :oops:

I hope you don't have power going to the computer when you have it plugged in!!!! (I mean, hopefully it is plugged into a power strip that is turned off.) Many motherboards still have power on them, even when the computer is not running. I remember a guy trying to upgrade memory with the computer turned off, but still plugged in. . . POWEEEE!!!!!!

Making sure you and the computer are at the same potential is the key. If you don't have a proper discharge wrist strap, keeping contact with the case at all times will usually be fine. (I say proper because rigging something up without proper current limiting can kill you if you come into contact with a high voltage such as line voltage.)

I'm afraid I can't help with the BIOS settings...

sailer

Splendid

If you mean that you left the power cable between the psu and the wall outlet attached, you are taking your life in your hands. That line should always be unplugged when you work on a computer, first thing. Otherwise, if there is any short at all, you may be dead, like funeral dead. It means that the capacitators in the psu don't bleed off their current supply, and it means they can then supply power on the motherboard when you don't want it supplied, whether hardware or your body. Get the point?

Yes, you do want to touch the case to equalize yourself with it and not have any electrical potential to zap electrons in either direction. That part is good. Since the sound doesn't work with either the new hard drive or the old one, its possible that it is dead now. You can check the BIOS and make sure that the onboard sound is enabled, but if it is and there is no sound, well, as someone else suggested, spend some money and get a separate sound card.

pb_and_james

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
HOLY CRAP!!! It's finally working :D . I accidentilly plugged in the HD audio instead of AC' 97 for the FP. (I'm such a dumbass :lol: ) That got the Windows welcome sound to work... I then used the DirectSound default device instead of the AC'97 :? . Now everything works!!! Thanks for all of your help you guys!!!