What's an "N'wah"?

Last response: in Video Games
November 19, 2004 1:10:22 AM

Bad people seem to call me that just before their feeble attempts to kill
me. Is it just some swear word Bethesda invented in order to avoid using
any actual swears, like *"Narf"? Or does it actually mean something?

*Anyone remember as far back as the old Magic Candle games?

More about : wah

Anonymous
November 19, 2004 9:08:03 AM

"Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Bad people seem to call me that just before their feeble attempts to kill
> me. Is it just some swear word Bethesda invented in order to avoid using
> any actual swears, like *"Narf"? Or does it actually mean something?

it's a Dunmer word: it mean "outlander": it's a dispregiative.
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 9:08:04 AM

> > Bad people seem to call me that just before their feeble attempts to
kill
> > me. Is it just some swear word Bethesda invented in order to avoid
using
> > any actual swears, like *"Narf"? Or does it actually mean something?
> >

> it's a Dunmer word: it mean "outlander": it's a dispregiative.

Kinda funny that bandits in a cave that I meet for the first time can
instantly tell I'm an outlander, despite the fact I never openned my mouth,
and look just like every other Nord in the game, but whatever. I guess it
goes along with the whole merchants-can-always-smell-moon-sugar thing...
November 19, 2004 12:44:44 PM

"Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message news:<E7udndYqkOYaGQDcRVn-3w@giganews.com>...
> > > Bad people seem to call me that just before their feeble attempts to
> kill
> > > me. Is it just some swear word Bethesda invented in order to avoid
> using
> > > any actual swears, like *"Narf"? Or does it actually mean something?
> > >

> > it's a Dunmer word: it mean "outlander": it's a dispregiative.
>
> Kinda funny that bandits in a cave that I meet for the first time can
> instantly tell I'm an outlander, despite the fact I never openned my mouth,
> and look just like every other Nord in the game, but whatever. I guess it
> goes along with the whole merchants-can-always-smell-moon-sugar thing...

ALL Nords are outlanders. Only Dark Elves born and bred under the
banner of the Triumvarite are not outlanders. If you aren't a dark
elf, you weren't created by the Triumvarite and so are a menace (a
religious ferver literally dumped into your genes). It's worse than
being just a foreigner.
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 6:06:32 PM

It's called a video game, but I can't stand it either... I can understand
them recognizing something that was theirs, even if it does look just like
every other broad sword in the game... but if you keep it in a back pack
(not that I am sure how the main character can carry 20 swords and 3 suits
of armor, while fighting off bad guys plus other misc stuff) how do they
know you have it?

"Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
> Kinda funny that bandits in a cave that I meet for the first time can
> instantly tell I'm an outlander, despite the fact I never openned my
> mouth,
> and look just like every other Nord in the game, but whatever. I guess it
> goes along with the whole merchants-can-always-smell-moon-sugar thing...

Anonymous
November 20, 2004 12:18:50 AM

DeAnn wrote:

>> kill

>> using

>>>it's a Dunmer word: it mean "outlander": it's a dispregiative.
>>
>>Kinda funny that bandits in a cave that I meet for the first time can
>>instantly tell I'm an outlander, despite the fact I never openned my mouth,
>>and look just like every other Nord in the game, but whatever. I guess it
>>goes along with the whole merchants-can-always-smell-moon-sugar thing...
>

> ALL Nords are outlanders. Only Dark Elves born and bred under the
> banner of the Triumvarite are not outlanders. If you aren't a dark
> elf, you weren't created by the Triumvarite and so are a menace (a
> religious ferver literally dumped into your genes). It's worse than
> being just a foreigner.

All PCs are outlanders, even those of dark elf birth. My dark elf
character had this "curse" yelled at him enough.
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 1:16:09 AM

> ALL Nords are outlanders. Only Dark Elves born and bred under the
> banner of the Triumvarite are not outlanders. If you aren't a dark
> elf, you weren't created by the Triumvarite and so are a menace (a
> religious ferver literally dumped into your genes). It's worse than
> being just a foreigner.

That would make sense if only Dark Elves shouted this curse, but I've been
called an outlander by members of nearly every race, including my own, so
obviously that has nothing to do with it. When even other Nords instantly
recognize me as an outlander, it's just a bit weird. (I expected I'd
recieve a warmer welcome in Solstheim, for example, since that's where Nords
supposedly come from. But they treat me exactly the same as they'd treat
anyone, I think...)
November 20, 2004 2:13:20 AM

Michael W. Ryder wrote:
> DeAnn wrote:
>
>> "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message

>>> kill

>>> using

>>> Kinda funny that bandits in a cave that I meet for the first time can
>>> instantly tell I'm an outlander, despite the fact I never openned my
>>> mouth,
>>> and look just like every other Nord in the game, but whatever. I
>>> guess it
>>> goes along with the whole merchants-can-always-smell-moon-sugar thing...
>>

>> ALL Nords are outlanders. Only Dark Elves born and bred under the
>> banner of the Triumvarite are not outlanders. If you aren't a dark
>> elf, you weren't created by the Triumvarite and so are a menace (a
>> religious ferver literally dumped into your genes). It's worse than
>> being just a foreigner.
>

> All PCs are outlanders, even those of dark elf birth. My dark elf
> character had this "curse" yelled at him enough.
What's Triumvarite? I have never met with this word in Morrowind before.
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 1:40:49 PM

"Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message news:<A5GdnX9RYLniKAPcRVn-jw@giganews.com>...
> > ALL Nords are outlanders. Only Dark Elves born and bred under the
> > banner of the Triumvarite are not outlanders. If you aren't a dark
> > elf, you weren't created by the Triumvarite and so are a menace (a
> > religious ferver literally dumped into your genes). It's worse than
> > being just a foreigner.
>
> That would make sense if only Dark Elves shouted this curse, but I've been
> called an outlander by members of nearly every race, including my own, so
> obviously that has nothing to do with it. When even other Nords instantly
> recognize me as an outlander, it's just a bit weird. (I expected I'd
> recieve a warmer welcome in Solstheim, for example, since that's where Nords
> supposedly come from. But they treat me exactly the same as they'd treat
> anyone, I think...)

I think the others just do it because of culture. Like an aethiest
might say "God Damn It!"--even though professing to believe there is
no god and no damnation.
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 2:35:05 PM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 23:13:20 +0100, someone <somewhere@somewhere.com>
wrote:

>What's Triumvarite? I have never met with this word in Morrowind before.

Triumvurate is a word meaning "three rulers", and if you can't guess who
DeAnn was referring to, you can't have played much of the game yet.
November 20, 2004 2:59:47 PM

Darrel Hoffman wrote:
>>ALL Nords are outlanders. Only Dark Elves born and bred under the
>>banner of the Triumvarite are not outlanders. If you aren't a dark
>>elf, you weren't created by the Triumvarite and so are a menace (a
>>religious ferver literally dumped into your genes). It's worse than
>>being just a foreigner.
>

> That would make sense if only Dark Elves shouted this curse, but I've been
> called an outlander by members of nearly every race, including my own, so
> obviously that has nothing to do with it. When even other Nords instantly
> recognize me as an outlander, it's just a bit weird. (I expected I'd
> recieve a warmer welcome in Solstheim, for example, since that's where Nords
> supposedly come from. But they treat me exactly the same as they'd treat
> anyone, I think...)

Well I know off course who "the three rulers" refers to, I just never
heard that term used before.
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 8:43:45 PM

In article <A5GdnX9RYLniKAPcRVn-jw@giganews.com>, i.dont@think.so
says...

> That would make sense if only Dark Elves shouted this curse, but I've been
> called an outlander by members of nearly every race, including my own, so
> obviously that has nothing to do with it. When even other Nords instantly
> recognize me as an outlander, it's just a bit weird. (I expected I'd
> recieve a warmer welcome in Solstheim, for example, since that's where Nords
> supposedly come from. But they treat me exactly the same as they'd treat
> anyone, I think...)

I wouldn't worry about it too much. In my previous game my PC was a
female Dunmer spellsword and every Dunmer she met referred to her as
either outlander or N'wah, depending on the situation. How do they
know? She looks just like they do. I could buy that her accent might
tip them off during conversation, but how do bandits and smugglers
know? You'd think she was wearing a sign proclaiming herself to be an
outlander.

After she became Archmage the other guild members would still call her
outlander. The staff of her Redoran stronghold kept calling her
outlander. Quite irritating.

BTW don't Nords come from Skyrim? I thought Solstheim was an island
they settled some years previously.

--
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
-Mark Twain

> BTW don't Nords come from Skyrim? I thought Solstheim was an island
> they settled some years previously.

Probably you're right, but considering that Solstheim is almost solely
inhabited by Nords, I'd have thought they'd treat me more kindly. Then
again, most of the Nords there are wearing either furs or nothing, and
carrying cheap axes or clubs. Perhaps my full suit of glass armor and
Daedric Battleaxe are something of a dead give-away I'm not from 'round
here. I've heard enough merchants and commoners on the mainland say things
like "I've never seen a Nord in such fine clothing before." Never mind that
they've seen me before dozens of times.
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 7:04:09 AM

Darrel Hoffman wrote:

>>ALL Nords are outlanders. Only Dark Elves born and bred under the
>>banner of the Triumvarite are not outlanders. If you aren't a dark
>>elf, you weren't created by the Triumvarite and so are a menace (a
>>religious ferver literally dumped into your genes). It's worse than
>>being just a foreigner.
>

> That would make sense if only Dark Elves shouted this curse, but I've been
> called an outlander by members of nearly every race, including my own, so
> obviously that has nothing to do with it. When even other Nords instantly
> recognize me as an outlander, it's just a bit weird. (I expected I'd
> recieve a warmer welcome in Solstheim, for example, since that's where Nords
> supposedly come from. But they treat me exactly the same as they'd treat
> anyone, I think...)

You Are an outlander as you were not born and raised on the island. Of
course they know everyone by sight that was born and raised there as
there are more cliff racers on the island than inhabitants.
November 21, 2004 3:26:32 PM

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:10:22 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>Bad people seem to call me that just before their feeble attempts to kill
>me. Is it just some swear word Bethesda invented in order to avoid using
>any actual swears, like *"Narf"? Or does it actually mean something?

Both. Bethesda wanted to avoid using "swear words" so they
made up new words. However, these words do mean something
in terms of Tamrialic lore.

I've begun to use these words in RL amongst non-MW people
in the hope that they catch on and become real swear words.
:D
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 7:23:17 PM

> You Are an outlander as you were not born and raised on the island. Of
> course they know everyone by sight that was born and raised there as
> there are more cliff racers on the island than inhabitants.

Another wrinkle in this plot emerged... I was doing a mission where you
have to escort this guy from the Erabenimsum camp to some wise woman in the
hills, and we came across a monster. (I think it was a scrib, or a rat, or
something.) Anyhow, when we engaged in combat, the guy yelled out "You
N'wah!". Never mind the futility of shouting trash-talk at a scrib, but
calling the creature an "outlander" is really rather inappopriate in that
situation, wouldn't you think?

(I love it even more when they shout out "Damn, I'm good!", even though they
were about 50 feet behind me when I killed the creature in one shot, and
they never even got close to it.)
November 26, 2004 9:36:11 PM

> (I love it even more when they shout out "Damn, I'm good!", even though
> they
> were about 50 feet behind me when I killed the creature in one shot, and
> they never even got close to it.)

I love it when they taunt you with something like "You're no match for me!"
just before you deliver the killing blow, and then you're standing there
with full health while they're very dead.
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 2:12:14 AM

Darrel Hoffman wrote:

> Another wrinkle in this plot emerged...

This is because the attack voices depend on the players race, not the
targets race. This can lead to ridiculous situations, like you have a
Khajiit companion (for example from one of the various free-slaves
mods), you are a Redguard and you fight a cliff racer together. Then the
kitten will moan: "You die like rat, Redguard."

If you look at the Voice section in the editor, you can see the various
attack voices. There are only two variables: NPC health (they groan
differently when badly hurt) and player race. The target doesn't matter
at all. Well, I suppose the designers only had NPCs fighting the player
in mind. For any companion (from mods or those unmodded in-game) it's
quite stupid.

The voices *are* cool, especially with VGreetings mod. But the whole
design is quite limited and somewhat artificial.

Peter
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 5:15:26 AM

> I love it when they taunt you with something like "You're no match for
me!"
> just before you deliver the killing blow, and then you're standing there
> with full health while they're very dead.

Yeah, one thing the enemy AI seems to be completely lacking in is the
ability to accurately guage the strength of their opponent. You'd think if
they knew who I was by this point, or they took a quick look at the
top-of-the-line armor I'm all decked out in, they'd go running for the
hills.

Other famous last words I've heard just before killing somebody in one hit:
"To the death!" ...Umm, yeah, *yours*...
"It will take more than skill to defeat me!" ...Well, okay. Will this
Daedric Longsword be enough?

There've been other good ones, but I can't recall them off-hand. I haven't
had a challenging battle in a long time, with the single exception of that
orc with the Umbra sword. (First time I've had to use a health potion in
battle in longer than I can remember, but still far too easy.) Is it all
going to be this easy from now on? May be time to just start a new
character, but I like this one...
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 5:16:20 AM

> This is because the attack voices depend on the players race, not the
> targets race. This can lead to ridiculous situations, like you have a
> Khajiit companion (for example from one of the various free-slaves
> mods), you are a Redguard and you fight a cliff racer together. Then the
> kitten will moan: "You die like rat, Redguard."

That would be even funnier if you were fighting a rat...
November 27, 2004 11:33:17 AM

> Yeah, one thing the enemy AI seems to be completely lacking in is the
> ability to accurately guage the strength of their opponent. You'd think
> if
> they knew who I was by this point, or they took a quick look at the
> top-of-the-line armor I'm all decked out in, they'd go running for the
> hills.

Actually, there's a bug in the game relating to the flee AI. Because of the
bug, NPCs don't flee when they should. There are mods floating around to
fix this but when I played with one, enemies started fleeing 75-80% of the
time, and it's a real PITA to have to chase after them, especially in caves
and tombs. So I prefer playing with it bugged.

> There've been other good ones, but I can't recall them off-hand. I
> haven't
> had a challenging battle in a long time, with the single exception of that
> orc with the Umbra sword. (First time I've had to use a health potion in
> battle in longer than I can remember, but still far too easy.) Is it all
> going to be this easy from now on? May be time to just start a new
> character, but I like this one...

Common complaint about Morrowind - once your character has passed level
15-20 or so, it's too easy. That's why there are mods floating around like
Morrowind Advanced. They tweak the game so that it remains challenging
longer. There are a bunch of these mods around - you might want to check
them out if you plan to play again with another character.
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 6:04:26 PM

Darrel Hoffman wrote:

> they knew who I was by this point, or they took a quick look at the
> top-of-the-line armor I'm all decked out in, they'd go running for the
> hills.

Wakims Game Improvements includes a fixed Flee AI. With this, NPCs run
away when hurt, though it still depends on their "SetFlee" value, which
is Zero for some NPCs, so they still wouldn't run whatever happens.
But with Wakims mod, flee really makes some sense. I like to use it for
some escort missions (like that stupid unarmored healer in Thirsk which
attacks Riecklings on the way to Frostmoth and dies on the second hit),
so I open the console, click on the NPC and do "SetFlee 90". Aka:
"Please run away when we are attacked, okay?!"

> had a challenging battle in a long time

Level above 30 -> time to play mods or start a new game. Pity, that's
when I usually start to like that character, earned a nice stronghold,
got good gear etc.
There are some mods which offer really tough battles (Suran Underworld
etc.), but still, if you travel normal Morrowind, your character is the
demi-god and you are bored.
Bloodmoon is also aimed at level 30 and above and a good challenge.

Actually the most interesting level is around 15-20 in my opinion. The
game is challenging, but you don't crawl around with speed 40.

Peter
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 9:25:37 PM

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 02:15:26 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>> I love it when they taunt you with something like "You're no match for
>me!"
>> just before you deliver the killing blow, and then you're standing there
>> with full health while they're very dead.
>
>Yeah, one thing the enemy AI seems to be completely lacking in is the
>ability to accurately guage the strength of their opponent. You'd think if
>they knew who I was by this point, or they took a quick look at the
>top-of-the-line armor I'm all decked out in, they'd go running for the
>hills.
>
>Other famous last words I've heard just before killing somebody in one hit:
>"To the death!" ...Umm, yeah, *yours*...
>"It will take more than skill to defeat me!" ...Well, okay. Will this
>Daedric Longsword be enough?

My favourite is "What's it like to know you'll be defeated?" A second
before I cut them down. I dunno, what is it like?
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 1:46:01 AM

um... my newest character is level 17 and her speed is... um... 47....

I am trying to play a "real" mage, she her only weapon is a steel staff, but
I'm working on that, and she has never swung a weapon in her life. So I
have a piss load of personality, speechcraft, intelligence, alchemy,and 2
really good magic disciplines, destruction and restoration!!! I use plenty
of invis and chameleon spells/potions/scrolls as well. I need to go get her
azura's star so I can start making some nice CE enchantments. however I am
still trying to finish the mages guild quests. then I will worry about
that...

"Peter Strempel" <peterstrempel@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Darrel Hoffman wrote:
>
>> they knew who I was by this point, or they took a quick look at the
>> top-of-the-line armor I'm all decked out in, they'd go running for the
>> hills.
>
> Wakims Game Improvements includes a fixed Flee AI. With this, NPCs run
> away when hurt, though it still depends on their "SetFlee" value, which is
> Zero for some NPCs, so they still wouldn't run whatever happens.
> But with Wakims mod, flee really makes some sense. I like to use it for
> some escort missions (like that stupid unarmored healer in Thirsk which
> attacks Riecklings on the way to Frostmoth and dies on the second hit), so
> I open the console, click on the NPC and do "SetFlee 90". Aka: "Please run
> away when we are attacked, okay?!"
>

>> had a challenging battle in a long time
>
> Level above 30 -> time to play mods or start a new game. Pity, that's when
> I usually start to like that character, earned a nice stronghold, got good
> gear etc.
> There are some mods which offer really tough battles (Suran Underworld
> etc.), but still, if you travel normal Morrowind, your character is the
> demi-god and you are bored.
> Bloodmoon is also aimed at level 30 and above and a good challenge.
>
> Actually the most interesting level is around 15-20 in my opinion. The
> game is challenging, but you don't crawl around with speed 40.
>

> Peter
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 1:20:25 PM

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 18:36:11 -0500, "Sarah"
<scrubbrush@DELrogers.comDEL> wrote:

>I love it when they taunt you with something like "You're no match for me!"
>just before you deliver the killing blow, and then you're standing there
>with full health while they're very dead.

I got a good laugh when I killed one as he was saying, "You will die
soon!" He never got the "soon" out before he hit the ground, dead.

By the way, does anyone know what that word that sounds like
"shtoopid" is that the bandits say as they die? Are they really
calling themselves stupid for getting themselves killed?
--
Nyctolops
Anonymous

> By the way, does anyone know what that word that sounds like
> "shtoopid" is that the bandits say as they die? Are they really
> calling themselves stupid for getting themselves killed?

Yeah, if you have captions turned on, it actually says "stoopid". I can
think of no other explanation than that whoever wrote this dialog was too
stupid to spell "stupid" correctly. I think it's basically along the lines
of "Boy, attacking that huge powerful guy wearing the Ebony armor and
carrying a Daedric Crescent was sure a stoopid thing to do..."
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 7:13:43 PM

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:04:26 +0100, Peter Strempel
<peterstrempel@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Actually the most interesting level is around 15-20 in my opinion. The
>game is challenging, but you don't crawl around with speed 40.

I normally cheat right off the bat and give my character speed 150 at
level 1 - playing at speed 30 or less is really really brutal...and
it's easy to tell when those Boots of Blinding Speed get broken!
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 9:23:45 PM

> I normally cheat right off the bat and give my character speed 150 at
> level 1 - playing at speed 30 or less is really really brutal...and
> it's easy to tell when those Boots of Blinding Speed get broken!

My favorite birthsign is The Steed, for specifically this reason. I can't
bear to start out a character with the base speed anymore, not after seeing
what maxed speed +200 from BBS is like...
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 8:50:32 PM

Perhaps my all time favorite is when fighting a male dark elf. He's hit me a
number of times, and barely scratched me, screaming how my wounds are great
while I'm cutting him down.

:
[...]
December 1, 2004 9:05:05 PM

> Perhaps my all time favorite is when fighting a male dark elf. He's hit
me a
> number of times, and barely scratched me, screaming how my wounds are
great
> while I'm cutting him down.

Heh, I've had them say that to me before they even got close enough to touch
me - even when I'm at full health. I'm just thinking "What wounds?"

On a related note, I've seen often when my health is at, oh, less than 80%
or so, people who are friendly to me will say things like "You've been hurt,
you should go find a healer." Thing is, as long as I've played this game,
I've only met one healer, ever, who actually will heal you. She's a member
of the Fighter's Guild, and you meet her and help her kill some beast in a
Dwemer ruin near the Azura's Coast region. Other than that, I've never had
another character (as in, a person, as opposed to, say, a shrine) in the
game actually give me healing. Of course many NPCs will sell you healing
potions or scrolls, and sometimes you're given these items as a quest
reward, but nowhere else in the game does there seem to be a character who
will actually heal you themselves.
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 1:58:45 PM

Bob wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:10:22 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
> wrote:
>

>>Bad people seem to call me that just before their feeble attempts to kill
>>me. Is it just some swear word Bethesda invented in order to avoid using
>>any actual swears, like *"Narf"? Or does it actually mean something?
>>
> Both. Bethesda wanted to avoid using "swear words" so they
> made up new words. However, these words do mean something
> in terms of Tamrialic lore.

OK, so what's a "s'wit"?

> I've begun to use these words in RL amongst non-MW people
> in the hope that they catch on and become real swear words.
> :D

Krunk!

-ED \1/
January 9, 2005 1:38:40 PM

"Kalheka" <kalheka@hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> Perhaps my all time favorite is when fighting a male dark elf. He's hit
me a
> number of times, and barely scratched me, screaming how my wounds are
great
> while I'm cutting him down.
>
> "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
> :> I love it when they taunt you with something like "You're no match
for
> : me!"
> : > just before you deliver the killing blow, and then you're standing
there
> : > with full health while they're very dead.
> :
> : Yeah, one thing the enemy AI seems to be completely lacking in is the
> : ability to accurately guage the strength of their opponent. You'd
think if
> : they knew who I was by this point, or they took a quick look at the
> : top-of-the-line armor I'm all decked out in, they'd go running for the
> : hills.
> :
> : Other famous last words I've heard just before killing somebody in one
hit:
> : "To the death!" ...Umm, yeah, *yours*...
> : "It will take more than skill to defeat me!" ...Well, okay. Will
this
> : Daedric Longsword be enough?
> :
> : There've been other good ones, but I can't recall them off-hand. I
haven't
> : had a challenging battle in a long time, with the single exception of
that
> : orc with the Umbra sword. (First time I've had to use a health potion
in
> : battle in longer than I can remember, but still far too easy.) Is it
all
> : going to be this easy from now on? May be time to just start a new
> : character, but I like this one...
> :
> :

you want to keep this char? Then do something that will land you in prison
Depending on the length of your stay in prison, you will leave with
severely
lowered skills and attributes.

merlin
!