What's an "N'wah"?

Bad people seem to call me that just before their feeble attempts to kill
me. Is it just some swear word Bethesda invented in order to avoid using
any actual swears, like *"Narf"? Or does it actually mean something?

*Anyone remember as far back as the old Magic Candle games?
31 answers Last reply
More about what

    "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Bad people seem to call me that just before their feeble attempts to kill
    > me. Is it just some swear word Bethesda invented in order to avoid using
    > any actual swears, like *"Narf"? Or does it actually mean something?

    it's a Dunmer word: it mean "outlander": it's a dispregiative.

    > > Bad people seem to call me that just before their feeble attempts to
    kill
    > > me. Is it just some swear word Bethesda invented in order to avoid
    using
    > > any actual swears, like *"Narf"? Or does it actually mean something?
    > >

    > it's a Dunmer word: it mean "outlander": it's a dispregiative.

    Kinda funny that bandits in a cave that I meet for the first time can
    instantly tell I'm an outlander, despite the fact I never openned my mouth,
    and look just like every other Nord in the game, but whatever. I guess it
    goes along with the whole merchants-can-always-smell-moon-sugar thing...

    "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message news:<E7udndYqkOYaGQDcRVn-3w@giganews.com>...
    > > > Bad people seem to call me that just before their feeble attempts to
    > kill
    > > > me. Is it just some swear word Bethesda invented in order to avoid
    > using
    > > > any actual swears, like *"Narf"? Or does it actually mean something?
    > > >

    > > it's a Dunmer word: it mean "outlander": it's a dispregiative.
    >
    > Kinda funny that bandits in a cave that I meet for the first time can
    > instantly tell I'm an outlander, despite the fact I never openned my mouth,
    > and look just like every other Nord in the game, but whatever. I guess it
    > goes along with the whole merchants-can-always-smell-moon-sugar thing...

    ALL Nords are outlanders. Only Dark Elves born and bred under the
    banner of the Triumvarite are not outlanders. If you aren't a dark
    elf, you weren't created by the Triumvarite and so are a menace (a
    religious ferver literally dumped into your genes). It's worse than
    being just a foreigner.

    It's called a video game, but I can't stand it either... I can understand
    them recognizing something that was theirs, even if it does look just like
    every other broad sword in the game... but if you keep it in a back pack
    (not that I am sure how the main character can carry 20 swords and 3 suits
    of armor, while fighting off bad guys plus other misc stuff) how do they
    know you have it?

    DeAnn wrote:

    >> kill

    >> using

    >>>it's a Dunmer word: it mean "outlander": it's a dispregiative.
    >>
    >>Kinda funny that bandits in a cave that I meet for the first time can
    >>instantly tell I'm an outlander, despite the fact I never openned my mouth,
    >>and look just like every other Nord in the game, but whatever. I guess it
    >>goes along with the whole merchants-can-always-smell-moon-sugar thing...
    >

    > ALL Nords are outlanders. Only Dark Elves born and bred under the
    > banner of the Triumvarite are not outlanders. If you aren't a dark
    > elf, you weren't created by the Triumvarite and so are a menace (a
    > religious ferver literally dumped into your genes). It's worse than
    > being just a foreigner.

    All PCs are outlanders, even those of dark elf birth. My dark elf
    character had this "curse" yelled at him enough.

    > ALL Nords are outlanders. Only Dark Elves born and bred under the
    > banner of the Triumvarite are not outlanders. If you aren't a dark
    > elf, you weren't created by the Triumvarite and so are a menace (a
    > religious ferver literally dumped into your genes). It's worse than
    > being just a foreigner.

    That would make sense if only Dark Elves shouted this curse, but I've been
    called an outlander by members of nearly every race, including my own, so
    obviously that has nothing to do with it. When even other Nords instantly
    recognize me as an outlander, it's just a bit weird. (I expected I'd
    recieve a warmer welcome in Solstheim, for example, since that's where Nords
    supposedly come from. But they treat me exactly the same as they'd treat
    anyone, I think...)

    Michael W. Ryder wrote:
    > DeAnn wrote:
    >
    >> "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message

    >>> kill

    >>> using

    >>> Kinda funny that bandits in a cave that I meet for the first time can
    >>> instantly tell I'm an outlander, despite the fact I never openned my
    >>> mouth,
    >>> and look just like every other Nord in the game, but whatever. I
    >>> guess it
    >>> goes along with the whole merchants-can-always-smell-moon-sugar thing...
    >>

    >> ALL Nords are outlanders. Only Dark Elves born and bred under the
    >> banner of the Triumvarite are not outlanders. If you aren't a dark
    >> elf, you weren't created by the Triumvarite and so are a menace (a
    >> religious ferver literally dumped into your genes). It's worse than
    >> being just a foreigner.
    >

    > All PCs are outlanders, even those of dark elf birth. My dark elf
    > character had this "curse" yelled at him enough.
    What's Triumvarite? I have never met with this word in Morrowind before.

    "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message news:<A5GdnX9RYLniKAPcRVn-jw@giganews.com>...
    > > ALL Nords are outlanders. Only Dark Elves born and bred under the
    > > banner of the Triumvarite are not outlanders. If you aren't a dark
    > > elf, you weren't created by the Triumvarite and so are a menace (a
    > > religious ferver literally dumped into your genes). It's worse than
    > > being just a foreigner.
    >
    > That would make sense if only Dark Elves shouted this curse, but I've been
    > called an outlander by members of nearly every race, including my own, so
    > obviously that has nothing to do with it. When even other Nords instantly
    > recognize me as an outlander, it's just a bit weird. (I expected I'd
    > recieve a warmer welcome in Solstheim, for example, since that's where Nords
    > supposedly come from. But they treat me exactly the same as they'd treat
    > anyone, I think...)

    I think the others just do it because of culture. Like an aethiest
    might say "God Damn It!"--even though professing to believe there is
    no god and no damnation.

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 23:13:20 +0100, someone <somewhere@somewhere.com>
    wrote:

    >What's Triumvarite? I have never met with this word in Morrowind before.

    Triumvurate is a word meaning "three rulers", and if you can't guess who
    DeAnn was referring to, you can't have played much of the game yet.

    Darrel Hoffman wrote:
    >>ALL Nords are outlanders. Only Dark Elves born and bred under the
    >>banner of the Triumvarite are not outlanders. If you aren't a dark
    >>elf, you weren't created by the Triumvarite and so are a menace (a
    >>religious ferver literally dumped into your genes). It's worse than
    >>being just a foreigner.
    >

    > That would make sense if only Dark Elves shouted this curse, but I've been
    > called an outlander by members of nearly every race, including my own, so
    > obviously that has nothing to do with it. When even other Nords instantly
    > recognize me as an outlander, it's just a bit weird. (I expected I'd
    > recieve a warmer welcome in Solstheim, for example, since that's where Nords
    > supposedly come from. But they treat me exactly the same as they'd treat
    > anyone, I think...)

    Well I know off course who "the three rulers" refers to, I just never
    heard that term used before.

    In article <A5GdnX9RYLniKAPcRVn-jw@giganews.com>, i.dont@think.so
    says...

    > That would make sense if only Dark Elves shouted this curse, but I've been
    > called an outlander by members of nearly every race, including my own, so
    > obviously that has nothing to do with it. When even other Nords instantly
    > recognize me as an outlander, it's just a bit weird. (I expected I'd
    > recieve a warmer welcome in Solstheim, for example, since that's where Nords
    > supposedly come from. But they treat me exactly the same as they'd treat
    > anyone, I think...)

    I wouldn't worry about it too much. In my previous game my PC was a
    female Dunmer spellsword and every Dunmer she met referred to her as
    either outlander or N'wah, depending on the situation. How do they
    know? She looks just like they do. I could buy that her accent might
    tip them off during conversation, but how do bandits and smugglers
    know? You'd think she was wearing a sign proclaiming herself to be an
    outlander.

    After she became Archmage the other guild members would still call her
    outlander. The staff of her Redoran stronghold kept calling her
    outlander. Quite irritating.

    BTW don't Nords come from Skyrim? I thought Solstheim was an island
    they settled some years previously.

    --
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
    -Mark Twain

    > BTW don't Nords come from Skyrim? I thought Solstheim was an island
    > they settled some years previously.

    Probably you're right, but considering that Solstheim is almost solely
    inhabited by Nords, I'd have thought they'd treat me more kindly. Then
    again, most of the Nords there are wearing either furs or nothing, and
    carrying cheap axes or clubs. Perhaps my full suit of glass armor and
    Daedric Battleaxe are something of a dead give-away I'm not from 'round
    here. I've heard enough merchants and commoners on the mainland say things
    like "I've never seen a Nord in such fine clothing before." Never mind that
    they've seen me before dozens of times.

    Darrel Hoffman wrote:

    >>ALL Nords are outlanders. Only Dark Elves born and bred under the
    >>banner of the Triumvarite are not outlanders. If you aren't a dark
    >>elf, you weren't created by the Triumvarite and so are a menace (a
    >>religious ferver literally dumped into your genes). It's worse than
    >>being just a foreigner.
    >

    > That would make sense if only Dark Elves shouted this curse, but I've been
    > called an outlander by members of nearly every race, including my own, so
    > obviously that has nothing to do with it. When even other Nords instantly
    > recognize me as an outlander, it's just a bit weird. (I expected I'd
    > recieve a warmer welcome in Solstheim, for example, since that's where Nords
    > supposedly come from. But they treat me exactly the same as they'd treat
    > anyone, I think...)

    You Are an outlander as you were not born and raised on the island. Of
    course they know everyone by sight that was born and raised there as
    there are more cliff racers on the island than inhabitants.

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:10:22 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
    wrote:

    >Bad people seem to call me that just before their feeble attempts to kill
    >me. Is it just some swear word Bethesda invented in order to avoid using
    >any actual swears, like *"Narf"? Or does it actually mean something?

    Both. Bethesda wanted to avoid using "swear words" so they
    made up new words. However, these words do mean something
    in terms of Tamrialic lore.

    I've begun to use these words in RL amongst non-MW people
    in the hope that they catch on and become real swear words.
    :D

    > You Are an outlander as you were not born and raised on the island. Of
    > course they know everyone by sight that was born and raised there as
    > there are more cliff racers on the island than inhabitants.

    Another wrinkle in this plot emerged... I was doing a mission where you
    have to escort this guy from the Erabenimsum camp to some wise woman in the
    hills, and we came across a monster. (I think it was a scrib, or a rat, or
    something.) Anyhow, when we engaged in combat, the guy yelled out "You
    N'wah!". Never mind the futility of shouting trash-talk at a scrib, but
    calling the creature an "outlander" is really rather inappopriate in that
    situation, wouldn't you think?

    (I love it even more when they shout out "Damn, I'm good!", even though they
    were about 50 feet behind me when I killed the creature in one shot, and
    they never even got close to it.)

    > (I love it even more when they shout out "Damn, I'm good!", even though
    > they
    > were about 50 feet behind me when I killed the creature in one shot, and
    > they never even got close to it.)

    I love it when they taunt you with something like "You're no match for me!"
    just before you deliver the killing blow, and then you're standing there
    with full health while they're very dead.

    Darrel Hoffman wrote:

    > Another wrinkle in this plot emerged...

    This is because the attack voices depend on the players race, not the
    targets race. This can lead to ridiculous situations, like you have a
    Khajiit companion (for example from one of the various free-slaves
    mods), you are a Redguard and you fight a cliff racer together. Then the
    kitten will moan: "You die like rat, Redguard."

    If you look at the Voice section in the editor, you can see the various
    attack voices. There are only two variables: NPC health (they groan
    differently when badly hurt) and player race. The target doesn't matter
    at all. Well, I suppose the designers only had NPCs fighting the player
    in mind. For any companion (from mods or those unmodded in-game) it's
    quite stupid.

    The voices *are* cool, especially with VGreetings mod. But the whole
    design is quite limited and somewhat artificial.

    Peter

    > I love it when they taunt you with something like "You're no match for
    me!"
    > just before you deliver the killing blow, and then you're standing there
    > with full health while they're very dead.

    Yeah, one thing the enemy AI seems to be completely lacking in is the
    ability to accurately guage the strength of their opponent. You'd think if
    they knew who I was by this point, or they took a quick look at the
    top-of-the-line armor I'm all decked out in, they'd go running for the
    hills.

    Other famous last words I've heard just before killing somebody in one hit:
    "To the death!" ...Umm, yeah, *yours*...
    "It will take more than skill to defeat me!" ...Well, okay. Will this
    Daedric Longsword be enough?

    There've been other good ones, but I can't recall them off-hand. I haven't
    had a challenging battle in a long time, with the single exception of that
    orc with the Umbra sword. (First time I've had to use a health potion in
    battle in longer than I can remember, but still far too easy.) Is it all
    going to be this easy from now on? May be time to just start a new
    character, but I like this one...

    > This is because the attack voices depend on the players race, not the
    > targets race. This can lead to ridiculous situations, like you have a
    > Khajiit companion (for example from one of the various free-slaves
    > mods), you are a Redguard and you fight a cliff racer together. Then the
    > kitten will moan: "You die like rat, Redguard."

    That would be even funnier if you were fighting a rat...

    > Yeah, one thing the enemy AI seems to be completely lacking in is the
    > ability to accurately guage the strength of their opponent. You'd think
    > if
    > they knew who I was by this point, or they took a quick look at the
    > top-of-the-line armor I'm all decked out in, they'd go running for the
    > hills.

    Actually, there's a bug in the game relating to the flee AI. Because of the
    bug, NPCs don't flee when they should. There are mods floating around to
    fix this but when I played with one, enemies started fleeing 75-80% of the
    time, and it's a real PITA to have to chase after them, especially in caves
    and tombs. So I prefer playing with it bugged.

    > There've been other good ones, but I can't recall them off-hand. I
    > haven't
    > had a challenging battle in a long time, with the single exception of that
    > orc with the Umbra sword. (First time I've had to use a health potion in
    > battle in longer than I can remember, but still far too easy.) Is it all
    > going to be this easy from now on? May be time to just start a new
    > character, but I like this one...

    Common complaint about Morrowind - once your character has passed level
    15-20 or so, it's too easy. That's why there are mods floating around like
    Morrowind Advanced. They tweak the game so that it remains challenging
    longer. There are a bunch of these mods around - you might want to check
    them out if you plan to play again with another character.

    Darrel Hoffman wrote:

    > they knew who I was by this point, or they took a quick look at the
    > top-of-the-line armor I'm all decked out in, they'd go running for the
    > hills.

    Wakims Game Improvements includes a fixed Flee AI. With this, NPCs run
    away when hurt, though it still depends on their "SetFlee" value, which
    is Zero for some NPCs, so they still wouldn't run whatever happens.
    But with Wakims mod, flee really makes some sense. I like to use it for
    some escort missions (like that stupid unarmored healer in Thirsk which
    attacks Riecklings on the way to Frostmoth and dies on the second hit),
    so I open the console, click on the NPC and do "SetFlee 90". Aka:
    "Please run away when we are attacked, okay?!"

    > had a challenging battle in a long time

    Level above 30 -> time to play mods or start a new game. Pity, that's
    when I usually start to like that character, earned a nice stronghold,
    got good gear etc.
    There are some mods which offer really tough battles (Suran Underworld
    etc.), but still, if you travel normal Morrowind, your character is the
    demi-god and you are bored.
    Bloodmoon is also aimed at level 30 and above and a good challenge.

    Actually the most interesting level is around 15-20 in my opinion. The
    game is challenging, but you don't crawl around with speed 40.

    Peter

    On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 02:15:26 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
    wrote:

    >> I love it when they taunt you with something like "You're no match for
    >me!"
    >> just before you deliver the killing blow, and then you're standing there
    >> with full health while they're very dead.
    >
    >Yeah, one thing the enemy AI seems to be completely lacking in is the
    >ability to accurately guage the strength of their opponent. You'd think if
    >they knew who I was by this point, or they took a quick look at the
    >top-of-the-line armor I'm all decked out in, they'd go running for the
    >hills.
    >
    >Other famous last words I've heard just before killing somebody in one hit:
    >"To the death!" ...Umm, yeah, *yours*...
    >"It will take more than skill to defeat me!" ...Well, okay. Will this
    >Daedric Longsword be enough?

    My favourite is "What's it like to know you'll be defeated?" A second
    before I cut them down. I dunno, what is it like?

    um... my newest character is level 17 and her speed is... um... 47....

    I am trying to play a "real" mage, she her only weapon is a steel staff, but
    I'm working on that, and she has never swung a weapon in her life. So I
    have a piss load of personality, speechcraft, intelligence, alchemy,and 2
    really good magic disciplines, destruction and restoration!!! I use plenty
    of invis and chameleon spells/potions/scrolls as well. I need to go get her
    azura's star so I can start making some nice CE enchantments. however I am
    still trying to finish the mages guild quests. then I will worry about
    that...

    "Peter Strempel" <peterstrempel@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Darrel Hoffman wrote:
    >
    >> they knew who I was by this point, or they took a quick look at the
    >> top-of-the-line armor I'm all decked out in, they'd go running for the
    >> hills.
    >
    > Wakims Game Improvements includes a fixed Flee AI. With this, NPCs run
    > away when hurt, though it still depends on their "SetFlee" value, which is
    > Zero for some NPCs, so they still wouldn't run whatever happens.
    > But with Wakims mod, flee really makes some sense. I like to use it for
    > some escort missions (like that stupid unarmored healer in Thirsk which
    > attacks Riecklings on the way to Frostmoth and dies on the second hit), so
    > I open the console, click on the NPC and do "SetFlee 90". Aka: "Please run
    > away when we are attacked, okay?!"
    >

    >> had a challenging battle in a long time
    >
    > Level above 30 -> time to play mods or start a new game. Pity, that's when
    > I usually start to like that character, earned a nice stronghold, got good
    > gear etc.
    > There are some mods which offer really tough battles (Suran Underworld
    > etc.), but still, if you travel normal Morrowind, your character is the
    > demi-god and you are bored.
    > Bloodmoon is also aimed at level 30 and above and a good challenge.
    >
    > Actually the most interesting level is around 15-20 in my opinion. The
    > game is challenging, but you don't crawl around with speed 40.
    >

    > Peter

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 18:36:11 -0500, "Sarah"
    <scrubbrush@DELrogers.comDEL> wrote:

    >I love it when they taunt you with something like "You're no match for me!"
    >just before you deliver the killing blow, and then you're standing there
    >with full health while they're very dead.

    I got a good laugh when I killed one as he was saying, "You will die
    soon!" He never got the "soon" out before he hit the ground, dead.

    By the way, does anyone know what that word that sounds like
    "shtoopid" is that the bandits say as they die? Are they really
    calling themselves stupid for getting themselves killed?
    --
    Nyctolops

    > By the way, does anyone know what that word that sounds like
    > "shtoopid" is that the bandits say as they die? Are they really
    > calling themselves stupid for getting themselves killed?

    Yeah, if you have captions turned on, it actually says "stoopid". I can
    think of no other explanation than that whoever wrote this dialog was too
    stupid to spell "stupid" correctly. I think it's basically along the lines
    of "Boy, attacking that huge powerful guy wearing the Ebony armor and
    carrying a Daedric Crescent was sure a stoopid thing to do..."

    On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:04:26 +0100, Peter Strempel
    <peterstrempel@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Actually the most interesting level is around 15-20 in my opinion. The
    >game is challenging, but you don't crawl around with speed 40.

    I normally cheat right off the bat and give my character speed 150 at
    level 1 - playing at speed 30 or less is really really brutal...and
    it's easy to tell when those Boots of Blinding Speed get broken!

    > I normally cheat right off the bat and give my character speed 150 at
    > level 1 - playing at speed 30 or less is really really brutal...and
    > it's easy to tell when those Boots of Blinding Speed get broken!

    My favorite birthsign is The Steed, for specifically this reason. I can't
    bear to start out a character with the base speed anymore, not after seeing
    what maxed speed +200 from BBS is like...

    Perhaps my all time favorite is when fighting a male dark elf. He's hit me a
    number of times, and barely scratched me, screaming how my wounds are great
    while I'm cutting him down.

    :
    : Yeah, one thing the enemy AI seems to be completely lacking in is the
    : ability to accurately guage the strength of their opponent. You'd think if
    : they knew who I was by this point, or they took a quick look at the
    : top-of-the-line armor I'm all decked out in, they'd go running for the
    : hills.
    :
    : Other famous last words I've heard just before killing somebody in one hit:
    : "To the death!" ...Umm, yeah, *yours*...
    : "It will take more than skill to defeat me!" ...Well, okay. Will this
    : Daedric Longsword be enough?
    :
    : There've been other good ones, but I can't recall them off-hand. I haven't
    : had a challenging battle in a long time, with the single exception of that
    : orc with the Umbra sword. (First time I've had to use a health potion in
    : battle in longer than I can remember, but still far too easy.) Is it all
    : going to be this easy from now on? May be time to just start a new
    : character, but I like this one...
    :
    :

    > Perhaps my all time favorite is when fighting a male dark elf. He's hit
    me a
    > number of times, and barely scratched me, screaming how my wounds are
    great
    > while I'm cutting him down.

    Heh, I've had them say that to me before they even got close enough to touch
    me - even when I'm at full health. I'm just thinking "What wounds?"

    On a related note, I've seen often when my health is at, oh, less than 80%
    or so, people who are friendly to me will say things like "You've been hurt,
    you should go find a healer." Thing is, as long as I've played this game,
    I've only met one healer, ever, who actually will heal you. She's a member
    of the Fighter's Guild, and you meet her and help her kill some beast in a
    Dwemer ruin near the Azura's Coast region. Other than that, I've never had
    another character (as in, a person, as opposed to, say, a shrine) in the
    game actually give me healing. Of course many NPCs will sell you healing
    potions or scrolls, and sometimes you're given these items as a quest
    reward, but nowhere else in the game does there seem to be a character who
    will actually heal you themselves.

    Bob wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:10:22 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Bad people seem to call me that just before their feeble attempts to kill
    >>me. Is it just some swear word Bethesda invented in order to avoid using
    >>any actual swears, like *"Narf"? Or does it actually mean something?
    >>
    > Both. Bethesda wanted to avoid using "swear words" so they
    > made up new words. However, these words do mean something
    > in terms of Tamrialic lore.

    OK, so what's a "s'wit"?

    > I've begun to use these words in RL amongst non-MW people
    > in the hope that they catch on and become real swear words.
    > :D

    Krunk!

    -ED \1/

    "Kalheka" <kalheka@hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse
    > Perhaps my all time favorite is when fighting a male dark elf. He's hit
    me a
    > number of times, and barely scratched me, screaming how my wounds are
    great
    > while I'm cutting him down.
    >
    > "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
    > :> I love it when they taunt you with something like "You're no match
    for
    > : me!"
    > : > just before you deliver the killing blow, and then you're standing
    there
    > : > with full health while they're very dead.
    > :
    > : Yeah, one thing the enemy AI seems to be completely lacking in is the
    > : ability to accurately guage the strength of their opponent. You'd
    think if
    > : they knew who I was by this point, or they took a quick look at the
    > : top-of-the-line armor I'm all decked out in, they'd go running for the
    > : hills.
    > :
    > : Other famous last words I've heard just before killing somebody in one
    hit:
    > : "To the death!" ...Umm, yeah, *yours*...
    > : "It will take more than skill to defeat me!" ...Well, okay. Will
    this
    > : Daedric Longsword be enough?
    > :
    > : There've been other good ones, but I can't recall them off-hand. I
    haven't
    > : had a challenging battle in a long time, with the single exception of
    that
    > : orc with the Umbra sword. (First time I've had to use a health potion
    in
    > : battle in longer than I can remember, but still far too easy.) Is it
    all
    > : going to be this easy from now on? May be time to just start a new
    > : character, but I like this one...
    > :
    > :

    you want to keep this char? Then do something that will land you in prison
    Depending on the length of your stay in prison, you will leave with
    severely
    lowered skills and attributes.

    merlin

Games Video Games