Svchost.exe problem is messing up my desktop

Godly12

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
The other day I restarted my computer because my internet was really slow. When Windows 7 booted back up to the desktop, there was NOTHING THERE!! All the shortcuts were gone. No start bar or anything. My computer still runs but I have to start the Windows Task Manager to get anything to run or to find anything. I can still play my games and such but I want the desktop back to normal so I can back everything up and reinstall windows. When it boots up I get a message stating that a file is not working properly. Its a svchost exe. The other day the electricity went out for a few minutes and when it came back on and my computer restarted, all was NORMAL again. Now its messed up and will not load my desktop. Can anyone help me get it back so I can back up my files? Also, I cannot restore it to a previous date. ( I was stupid and didnt have it set to do so when I installed Win 7). I want to keep my files or at least set it to a restore point so I can back things up. Thanks in advance.

Sam

Godly12

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
What anti virus programs can I download thats free that might help? AVG detected a few of these as viruses and claims to have fixed them but the problem still persist.

Godly12

Distinguished
May 10, 2011

Explorer worked. Thanks for the info. Now I just gotta get it to do that at startup!! LOL