Please help my PSU issue - is my near-new Seasonic toast?

klezmer41

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
This is a recent build:

AMD64 3200+ 2.0GHz single core
DFI Ultra-D LanParty non-SLI
Seasonic 600w power supply
2 320GB Western Digital hard drives in RAID mirror
ATI x800xl 256MB video card
2GB OCZ 3200 RAM 2x1GB
Antec P180
Linksys 802.11g WiFi PCI card

For a few months the computer has been ultra reliable. The first hiccups were that it would occasionally start up but the fans would not slow down and the computer wouldn't start. When it works the fans will go full steam at the beginning and then slow down to normal. Also occasionally the computer wouldn't start, but unplugging the PSU and re-plugging it in helped sometimes, and just repeatedly pushing the start button really hard would make it start if you got lucky.

After work I went to CompUSA to buy a power supply tester, and here are the results. When I plug in the 24 pin ATX connector, apparently all 7 lights are supposed to light up:

+5V
+12V
+3.3V
-5V
-12V
+5VSB
PG

Well they all light up EXCEPT -5V. When I plug the 24 pin cable, the P4 connector, and a molex cable into the extra space on the motherboard, and then press "power" ... it tries to start up but then isn't able to. The PSU fan seems to spin continuously while the 24 pin is connected to the tester, but can only run for a second when plugged into the motherboard.

Luckily I have this old P3 1GHz lying around which is what I'm using now, so I tried plugging that 20 pin connector into the PSU tester. All 7 lights light up.

So is the problem I've been having very likely 100% PSU, or could the motherboard be a factor? Also could somebody please explain what's going on?

As far as I am aware of the -5v rail isn't really used anymore in most modern motherboards.

There is a well know problem with Seasonic S12 PSUs and DFI motherboards for quite some time (at least 6 months). The issues was fixed when Seasonic released revision A2 of the S12 series. However, a few people have reported that even the revision A2 Seasonic S12 series still have problems.

klezmer41

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
The thing I don't understand is why now? It's been working fine the last 6 months, but then it started to have problems booting up. Is there a possibility my motherboard is failing too?

The thing I don't understand is why now? It's been working fine the last 6 months, but then it started to have problems booting up. Is there a possibility my motherboard is failing too?

It could be either the PSU (unlikely in my opinion) or the motherboard.

Can you borrow a PSU from a friend to test on your mobo?

Vice-versa, can you test your PSU on a friend's PC?

==================

Also, if you are overclocking, then bring everything back down to stock speed.

klezmer41

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
I tried my old 300w Antec PSU, and that seems to boot up the computer just fine, but there's no output from the video card. Do you think the problem is a combination of both mobo and PSU?

I tried my old 300w Antec PSU, and that seems to boot up the computer just fine, but there's no output from the video card. Do you think the problem is a combination of both mobo and PSU?

Kinda odd, I think a 300w PSU should be enough for the setup. Try re-seating the X800XL; pull it out and put it back in. Hopefully that will do it.

klezmer41

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
I went to CompUSA and got a Coolermaster 600w extreme power PSU. The system works like a charm! This is just a temporary PSU while I figure out what's going to happen with my Seasonic. The Coolermaster is a bit louder than Seasonic. I'm also a bit fed up with that Antec P180 case so I might get a different case. Thanks for the help!

440bx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
I'm also a bit fed up with that Antec P180 case so I might get a different case. Thanks for the help!

What is it that is bothering about that case ? I'd like to know so I don't get a case that would annoy me.

Thanks

klezmer41

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
It's just really tight when you get everything in there. Don't get me wrong the case looks pretty cool, it's just the amount of space. Also if you don't want a heavy case this might not be for you. It's steel and plastic and definitely not something you want to be moving around much.

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
It's just really tight when you get everything in there. Don't get me wrong the case looks pretty cool, it's just the amount of space. Also if you don't want a heavy case this might not be for you. It's steel and plastic and definitely not something you want to be moving around much.

Go for a Lian Li.
If funds don't allow...The Thermal take armor, tai chi, or cooler master stacker 830 are all very roomy. Tai chi is a bit on the heavy side though, and other than the armor each of those cases is probably as expensive as a good Lian Li. I was interested in the Lian Li PC-201b