Drive Mirroring

Is it possible to mirror 2 IDE drives using Adv. Server,
AND... if so, is there any drawback to using windows
software RAID for mirroring? Money is tight, so
purchasing a RAID controller card is not really an option.
3 answers Last reply
More about drive mirroring

    MC wrote:

    > Is it possible to mirror 2 IDE drives using Adv. Server,
    > AND... if so, is there any drawback to using windows
    > software RAID for mirroring?

    No noticeable differences as long as you have the two drives on
    different IDE channels.

    > Money is tight, so
    > purchasing a RAID controller card is not really an option.

    Advanced Server is much more expensive than an IDE RAID controller, so I
    do not understand that part...

    --
    Olof Lagerkvist
    ICQ: 724451

    Yes - it is possible; I've configured this hundreds of times.

    Yes - there are obvious performance limitations when using software-based
    RAID. The OS becomes responsible for the additional overhead of maintaining
    the volume as opposed to off-loading this to a dedicated hardware device to
    oversee. There are also performance limitations when using IDE drives
    versus SCSI drives, simply based on the access characteristics of each
    standard.

    --
    Ryan Sokolowski
    MCSE, CCNA, CCDA, BCFP

    "A troubleshooter's best tool is the Event Viewer and understanding the
    events and messages contained therein."

    "Olof Lagerkvist" <no@email.address> wrote in message
    > MC wrote:
    >
    > > Is it possible to mirror 2 IDE drives using Adv. Server,
    > > AND... if so, is there any drawback to using windows
    > > software RAID for mirroring?
    >
    > No noticeable differences as long as you have the two drives on
    > different IDE channels.
    >
    > > Money is tight, so
    > > purchasing a RAID controller card is not really an option.
    >
    > Advanced Server is much more expensive than an IDE RAID controller, so I
    > do not understand that part...
    >
    > --
    > Olof Lagerkvist
    > ICQ: 724451
    > Web page: http://here.is/olof

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Mirroring 2 ide drives via the OS, that is dynamic drives, has high overhead
    since it is a software mirror. If you need that function and the
    performance does not suffer that much then go for it but disk fault
    tolerance should always be accomplished with a hardware solution.

    Yes it's possible once you convert your disks to dynamic disk and then you
    have the option to mirror them. As noted before they should be on different
    IDE controllers.

    Lee

    "Olof Lagerkvist" <no@email.address> wrote in message
    > MC wrote:
    >
    > > Is it possible to mirror 2 IDE drives using Adv. Server,
    > > AND... if so, is there any drawback to using windows
    > > software RAID for mirroring?
    >
    > No noticeable differences as long as you have the two drives on
    > different IDE channels.
    >
    > > Money is tight, so
    > > purchasing a RAID controller card is not really an option.
    >
    > Advanced Server is much more expensive than an IDE RAID controller, so I
    > do not understand that part...
    >
    > --
    > Olof Lagerkvist
    > ICQ: 724451