Sat here Staring at MY AS5 and CPU. Cant Find Isoprophyl!!!

Omid

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2005
Well i think the subjects pretty self explanatory.

Ive picked up some AS5 but i ncat find isoprophyl anywhere in the UK!!

Where am i supposed to be looking?? Tried the major DIY shops and a pharmacy??

amdave

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Isopropyl is simply rubbing alcohol. Use high % Isopropyl alcohol if you can find it (>70%) so that you don't have any residual water to worry about when the alcohol evaporates. Look in the pharmacy again. Or your local convenience store. Just ask for the rubbing alcohol.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Personally I'd go to the lacal hardware and get some really good lacquer thinner... It's usually 'drier' (less water, better evaporation, etc.) and does an even better job of cleaning up the mess.

You mean to tell me that there is not a single bottle of rubbing alcohol in all of the UK? That's inconceivable!

Omid

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2005
Lol, maybe a slight over exaggeration. Ive been led to believe it is used in pad form when giving injections so i am going to hunt in some pharmacies today. I cant wait for ebay!! lol Thanks will update

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hi Omid,
I work in a pharmacy as a technician and you WILL find it in a pharmacy. If they do not have ISOPROPYL which is either in a 70% or 90% strength, you can also use ETHANOL. They are both "alcohol" based so you can use either.

However, since ethanol is the ONLY type of alcohol that can be consumed by humans, it may NOT be available to the average customer (for obvious reasons) since the street people (aka RUMMIES), would be buying it for drinking purposes :)

But the isopropyl type will be found there for sure.

RIG specs
Antec P180 PerformanceSeries Mid-Tower Case
SeaSonic S12 600 watt power supply
Asus A8N32 SLI mobo AMD N-Force 4 SLIX16 (bios 1103 V02.58)
RealTek 97 onboard digital 5.1 Surround
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core, 2 X 1mb L2 cache (AMD driver 1.3.1.0 w/MS hotfix)
2 gigs of Corsair TwinX3500LL Pro @ 437Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
2- BFG Tech 7900 GT OC 256mb in SLI (nvidia driver 91.31)
Western Digital RAPTOR 74.3 gig 10-K rpm HDD for XP & Apps
Maxtor SATA II 250 G HDD for gaming, movies, MP3's
Maxtor SATA II 250 G HDD for document backup (unplugged)
Sony CD rom 52X
Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
Logitech Z-5500 digital 5.1 THX Surround 500watts

danskal

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2003
I'm not a spelling nazi, but if you've been searching online for "Isoprophyl", that'll be your problem...... there's no "h" in Isopropyl (except perhaps on "forumz" :))

I discovered something that takes all the scrubbing out of getting old TIM off of CPU/GPU/HS 's. In Canada it's called Electra Motive or Brakleen, in the middle east it's called Lectra Clean. It's all the same stuff and it is made by CRC. I was having a ah heck of a time gettting some old TIM off of a GeForce 3 TI 200, so I sprayed a little on a rag, and carefully wiped the GPU. To my amazement all the TIM came off without any effort and left the GPU looking like it would have the day it was soldered to the board. Of course I followed this up with a wipe of isopropyl just in case there were any contaminants left behind. I did the same thing with the heat sink which is usually more difficult because of the machine grooves, but it worked just as easily. Amazing stuff. It is relatively cheap considering it's many purposes. It's meant as a de-greaser for motor windings, brake pads / parts, electrical contacts, etc. I wouldn't just spray it around on electronics since it it somewhat corrosive, it wouldn't likely damage any IC's, but it could remove the solder mask (colored coating) from the PCB and it has the ability to melt plastic. It also is fairly corrosive to skin if it's not cleaned off right away. The stuff takes a little while to evaporate compared to alcohol based cleaners, so I wouldn't let it pool on anything. But if you apply it in a controlled manner, it can't be beat.

mr_fnord

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
I'm sure lacquer thinner, brake cleaner, and perchlorate are all very effective, if toxic, solutions. Has anyone tried Goo Gone or a similar product?

If you can't find any medical alcohols in the UK you could use drinking alcohol, don't know if you have Everclear over there, but the tax on booze would make it pretty expensive. I was amazed to find that a bottle of Scotch costs twice as much in Scotland as in the US. And of course you would have to find a use for the rest of the bottle :wink:

Omid

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2005
Ok just been out shopping!

Boots (Big British chemist/pharmacy) have 70% BUT they are already on wipes so arent lint free.

Watch shops laughed at me

Pound shops were too lazy to care if they had it or not

And i Still dont have any.Anyone used something else thats worked just as good??

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
I've used lighter fluid for a long time, the stuff's so volatile that even if it was to be harmful in anyway, it doesn't stay liquid long enough for it to do real damage. My 2 Cents.. :wink:

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006

why do you need that anyway? YOu dont need this special alcohol to clean your old AS5 or whatever you want to clean. Just rub well your old AS5 and put some new AS5 to work.
the important thing is to have a good AS5 at your disposal

Full-Metal

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Hey Omid,
PCworld does it for about £4 (don't buy anything else there!), next to the air duster stuff - it's called "isoclene" - thats correct no A for clean....

99.7% alcohol...goes nice with pimms!

Heh Lol

FM

Omid

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2005
lol, i just seen it online at Maplins for a good price so i will probably go on there and get it.

Is it necessary?? Can i not just clean it really well with a tissue?

G

Just for the record: It's either called Isopropanol, 2-Propanol or Isopropyl Alcohol. Godd stuff, but Ethanol or paint thinner will do the job as well.