Sign in with
Your question

Is a Barton supposed to shut down at 60C?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 3, 2006 1:09:44 PM

Hi there,

I've been using the stock Heatsink-fan with my XP 3200+ ever since I got this CPU. Recently (about a week ago), the computer started crashing about 5 to 10 minutes into a CPU intensive task (in games like Battlefield or Guild Wars). The readings show a CPU temp of about 62 to 65 Celcius when the crash occurs. Could this temp be the reason of the crashes?
Idle temperatures are always in mid 50s.
All other readings seem normal (except for the -5V readings which seem very low at 0.49v, but it seems that is not a great concern when I asked about this in another thread).
I've ordered a new heatsink+fan (Thermalright SI-97 + Panaflo 92mm) to try to remedy this situation.
Am I going in the right direction?

Thanks.
August 3, 2006 1:11:37 PM

It's all about the thermal paste. Get some Artic Silver 5. Be sure to clean the CPU first.

What kind of error do you get? Spontaneous reboot? Do you get any kind of blue screen?
August 3, 2006 1:32:41 PM

The screen turns black, then blue (nothing written on it) all in under two seconds and then the computer reboots.
During POST, the CPU temp shown is always around 62 to 65 C. But I wonder why it crashes since this CPU can withstand temps of up to 80-85 C.
Is it that the temp at the core is always that much higher than detected by the diode?
Related resources
August 3, 2006 1:45:20 PM

the temperature doesnt seem to be a problem... as you said, it can withstand about ~85C before possible instabilities set in, possibly lower temperatures can cause instabilities too, if youre overclocking at all... the diode should be reading accurately, what i would check though, is to make sure everything is still seated properly, and run chkdisk and virus scan on your drives... try running prime95, to see if your comp still crashes, cuz prime95 will heat up your cpu too, to the point of crashing if temperature is an issue like youre saying.

make sure you have good airflow too in your system, cuz other parts might be overheating maybe *shrug*

edit: you mentioned its crashing during gaming... what about your gpu temperatures?, could be gpu driver problems maybe. try a different driver, or reinstalling your existing drivers.
August 3, 2006 1:55:24 PM

Chkdsk done, virus scan done, spyware scan done, rootkit scan done, memtest done partially (test stopped at 60% coverage to avoid going over 60C, but realized I should've let it go to see if it would crash). Haven't tried prime95. I'll try that and rerun memtest.
August 3, 2006 1:55:30 PM

i've been running my barton 2500 at 3200 for past couple yrs, always in mid 50's but can get up to low 60's, especially in summer. i'd recommend checking ur PSU as well...
August 3, 2006 1:58:47 PM

PSU (Antec TruePower 480W) is fine, except for this (which seems to be a non-issue).
August 3, 2006 2:18:53 PM

Quote:
Chkdsk done, virus scan done, spyware scan done, rootkit scan done, memtest done partially (test stopped at 60% coverage to avoid going over 60C, but realized I should've let it go to see if it would crash). Haven't tried prime95. I'll try that and rerun memtest.

1)If your system has been running well for some time, and just started doing this, then its not the thermal paste. Its dust. Clean the dust out of your CPU heatsink. Thats why your temps are going up, its got nothing to do with a virus or spyware. Make sure you clean it out thoroughly.
2) Go into your bios---set the thermal protection shutdown temps to 65 or 70
3) Enjoy

Peace
August 3, 2006 2:26:09 PM

Thanks, will do that!

But is it possible for a Barton to crash at 65 Celsius?
August 3, 2006 2:33:36 PM

The GPU is about one month old (not OCed) with Catalyst 6.6 installed. System was perfectly stable while playing for hours until a week ago. While waiting for my new HSF to arrive, I'll try dusting off my current stock HSF and other recommended actions told here to see how it goes.
Thanks to all, for now! 8)
August 3, 2006 2:38:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks, will do that!

But is it possible for a Barton to crash at 65 Celsius?

Im not quite sure what your asking.

Do you mean:
1) will the CPU burn up at 65'C?
or
2)will the CPU shut itself down?

In either case, the answer is no.

In case 1, higher temps are not great for the CPU. They will shorten its lifespan, but all things are relative. 65' C wont reduce you CPUs life significantly. 85'C will shorten it a whole lot more.
In case 2 its not the CPU shuting the system down, Its the thermal protection in your motherboards BIOS.

Peace
August 3, 2006 2:49:51 PM

If I get this right, you're saying that a CPU would fry if BIOS settings are not properly set to shut a system down when appropriate, even if the CPU has embedded overheating protection?
So, if the system reboots when the CPU reaches 60-65 C, chances are BIOS settings are set to shut down the computer upon reaching such temps, rather than just the CPU shutting itself down no matter what the BIOS is suggesting. Right?
I'll check that tonight as well when I return home.
August 3, 2006 2:57:46 PM

The system shouldn't be shuting down solely due to that temp. I would try to get the temp down a bit, but that's not the reason it reboots. If you run a cpu intensive benchmark/stress test and the machine does not shut down, then you know it's not due to the temps of the cpu and you need to look at other things.
August 3, 2006 3:07:49 PM

Plenty of testing and cleaning to do tonight then! :wink:

Thanks guys!
August 3, 2006 3:17:31 PM

Quote:
If I get this right, you're saying that a CPU would fry if BIOS settings are not properly set to shut a system down when appropriate, even if the CPU has embedded overheating protection?
So, if the system reboots when the CPU reaches 60-65 C, chances are BIOS settings are set to shut down the computer upon reaching such temps, rather than just the CPU shutting itself down no matter what the BIOS is suggesting. Right?
I'll check that tonight as well when I return home.

Yes, but you would have to the heat sink off or improperly installed for that to occur, and your BIOS settings would have no effect in that case. The chip would be fryed before it could shutdown

But thats not applicable in your case, assuming your system has been running reliably for some time and this problem is only now begining to occur. 60-65 isnt that high a temp, and well within the operating range, but its not great either. AMD lists temp operating ranges as 60'C to 70" C for the various XP CPUs, with max allowable die temp of 90'C

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_pape...

Peace
August 3, 2006 3:31:48 PM

Quote:
PSU (Antec TruePower 480W) is fine, except for this (which seems to be a non-issue).

When was the last time you cleaned the dust out of your PSU?
If it is running hot the regulation could be wacking out.
August 3, 2006 4:00:29 PM

I spray in some compressed air now and then when I open the case for servicing, adding or replacing parts.
August 3, 2006 4:46:57 PM

My barton was playing up not so long ago, because of the heatwave.

Turned out all it needed was a good cleaning and some new thermal paste.
August 3, 2006 4:59:46 PM

Well, air heated up as well here in Québec, but my box is in a conditioned environment. Ambient air never reached temperatures higher than 25'C, nor was it ever higher than 35 or so within the box.
A good cleaning is in order and a new HSF with AS5 will be installed.
August 3, 2006 5:50:43 PM

maybe ur bios is set to turn off at a certain temp?
August 3, 2006 5:54:51 PM

Yeah, this idea has been covered. Verifications will be made!
!