How to change to Obtain DNS Server address automatically

Hi;
I am going to setup DHCP server on Windows 2000 Server. Currently, our
network is using static IP Address. Instead of I have to visit all clients,
I can use "Netsh" command to change static IP to Obtain IP from DHCP.
HOWEVER, How can I update DNS from static to Obtain DNS server address
automatically without visit all client?
thank you...
POOM
7 answers Last reply
More about change obtain server address automatically

    In dhcp manager right click on the scope options and select configure
    options. Select option 015 dns domain name and add the name of the domain
    you want to add.

    Lee

    "Poom" <poomn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi;
    > I am going to setup DHCP server on Windows 2000 Server. Currently, our
    > network is using static IP Address. Instead of I have to visit all
    clients,
    > I can use "Netsh" command to change static IP to Obtain IP from DHCP.
    > HOWEVER, How can I update DNS from static to Obtain DNS server address
    > automatically without visit all client?
    > thank you...
    > POOM

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Thank for your answer.. sorry, I am a slow learner.
    On Obtain DNS automatically (under Local Area Connection Properties ->
    Internet Protocal TCP/IP
    properties).. How can I change it from fix DNS to automatically on CLIENTS?
    I do not want to go on each computer and change it manually.
    Is there any other way such as a srcipt?
    Thanks
    Poom
    "Lee" <leweb2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > In dhcp manager right click on the scope options and select configure
    > options. Select option 015 dns domain name and add the name of the domain
    > you want to add.
    >
    > Lee
    >
    > "Poom" <poomn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi;
    > > I am going to setup DHCP server on Windows 2000 Server. Currently, our
    > > network is using static IP Address. Instead of I have to visit all
    > clients,
    > > I can use "Netsh" command to change static IP to Obtain IP from DHCP.
    > > HOWEVER, How can I update DNS from static to Obtain DNS server address
    > > automatically without visit all client?
    > > thank you...
    > > POOM

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    I think you may have to visit each desktop to set it to dhcp...maybe someone
    else knows another way.

    > Thank for your answer.. sorry, I am a slow learner.
    > On Obtain DNS automatically (under Local Area Connection Properties ->
    > Internet Protocal TCP/IP
    > properties).. How can I change it from fix DNS to automatically on
    CLIENTS?
    > I do not want to go on each computer and change it manually.
    > Is there any other way such as a srcipt?
    > Thanks
    > Poom
    > "Lee" <leweb2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > In dhcp manager right click on the scope options and select configure
    > > options. Select option 015 dns domain name and add the name of the
    domain
    > > you want to add.
    > >
    > > Lee
    > >
    > > "Poom" <poomn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi;
    > > > I am going to setup DHCP server on Windows 2000 Server. Currently, our
    > > > network is using static IP Address. Instead of I have to visit all
    > > clients,
    > > > I can use "Netsh" command to change static IP to Obtain IP from DHCP.
    > > > HOWEVER, How can I update DNS from static to Obtain DNS server address
    > > > automatically without visit all client?
    > > > thank you...
    > > > POOM

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Thanks Lee, I am afraid that I have to do so....

    > I think you may have to visit each desktop to set it to dhcp...maybe
    someone
    > else knows another way.
    >
    > Lee
    >
    > "Poom" <poomn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Thank for your answer.. sorry, I am a slow learner.
    > > On Obtain DNS automatically (under Local Area Connection Properties ->
    > > Internet Protocal TCP/IP
    > > properties).. How can I change it from fix DNS to automatically on
    > CLIENTS?
    > > I do not want to go on each computer and change it manually.
    > > Is there any other way such as a srcipt?
    > > Thanks
    > > Poom
    > > "Lee" <leweb2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > In dhcp manager right click on the scope options and select configure
    > > > options. Select option 015 dns domain name and add the name of the
    > domain
    > > > you want to add.
    > > >
    > > > Lee
    > > >
    > > > "Poom" <poomn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > clients,
    DHCP.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Do you have any type of remote desktop management software or sms?

    > Thanks Lee, I am afraid that I have to do so....
    > Poom
    >
    > "Lee" <leweb2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I think you may have to visit each desktop to set it to dhcp...maybe
    > someone
    > > else knows another way.
    > >
    > > Lee
    > >
    > > "Poom" <poomn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Thank for your answer.. sorry, I am a slow learner.
    > > > On Obtain DNS automatically (under Local Area Connection Properties ->
    > > > Internet Protocal TCP/IP
    > > > properties).. How can I change it from fix DNS to automatically on
    > > CLIENTS?
    > > > I do not want to go on each computer and change it manually.
    > > > Is there any other way such as a srcipt?
    > > > Thanks
    > > > Poom
    > > > "Lee" <leweb2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > domain

    > our
    > DHCP.
    > address

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    I did try to install SMS before .. but it did not work.
    Thank you.... LEE
    > Do you have any type of remote desktop management software or sms?
    >
    > Lee
    >
    > "Poom" <poomn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks Lee, I am afraid that I have to do so....
    > > Poom
    > >
    > > "Lee" <leweb2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I think you may have to visit each desktop to set it to dhcp...maybe
    > > someone
    > > > else knows another way.
    > > >
    > > > Lee
    > > >
    > > > "Poom" <poomn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    Properties ->
    > > > CLIENTS?
    > configure
    > > > domain

    Currently,
    > > our
    > > DHCP.
    > > address

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    I found this code in the script repository. I guess you could place it as a
    shutdown script and the next time the computer boots it would be a dhcp
    client. Post to the group if you need any help in assigning it.

    Lee

    Enabling DHCP

    Description
    Enables the DHCP client service on a computer. The computer will then use
    DHCP to obtain an IP address rather than use a static IP address.

    Script Code

    strComputer = "."
    Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
    Set colNetAdapters = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
    ("Select * from Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration where IPEnabled=TRUE")
    For Each objNetAdapter In colNetAdapters
    errEnable = objNetAdapter.EnableDHCP()
    If errEnable = 0 Then
    Wscript.Echo "DHCP has been enabled."
    Else
    Wscript.Echo "DHCP could not be enabled."

Static IP DNS Server Servers Windows