Can I play this game?

Quick question for the technically inclined..

Its not actually me, but my girlfriend loves Morrowind, and just
bought a new computer. She also bought Morrowind to play on it. She
experiences frequent crashes. I've heard this is a bug-ridden game,
but the screen flickers and crashes every 5 minutes.

Obviously she has a pathetic game card, but I want to make sure it
will even matter before I run out and buy a card.

Here's what she has:

Sony VAIO
Intel Pentium 4 processer (2.80 e ohz / 800 mhz FSB / 1 mb L2 Cache)
512 MB Memory / 400 mhz ddr
Current card is Intel Extreme Graphics 2.64 mb (AGP slot is avail.)
160 GB HD

She's a morrowind junkie, so I doubt she'll ever try Half-life 2, or
any other game necessitating a ridiculous 400 Nvida 98932099900, 600MB
graphic card.

But what bottom of the barrel card, if any, can I get that will make
her game work?

sarah

"Second Eye" <secondeye@aol.com> wrote in message

> But what bottom of the barrel card, if any, can I get that will make
> her game work?

I used to play Morrowind just fine on an old GeForce3 card. Any of the
nVidia or ATI cards available should play Morrowind. Just don't get another
Intel card.

Sarah wrote:
> "Second Eye" <secondeye@aol.com> wrote in message
>

>>But what bottom of the barrel card, if any, can I get that will make
>>her game work?
>

> I used to play Morrowind just fine on an old GeForce3 card. Any of the
> nVidia or ATI cards available should play Morrowind. Just don't get another
> Intel card.

Indeed, however some things (Especially water) look a lot better if you
have pixel shading available, and on another note, if she loves oblivion
when that comes out too then you will need quite a good (understatement)
graphics card I would imagine, but be warned, Graphics of that caliber
coupled with Bethesda's quality of RPG's could be a serious strain on a
relationship ;)

~Cameron

"Sarah" <scrubbrush@DELrogers.comDEL> wrote:

>"Second Eye" <secondeye@aol.com> wrote in message
>
>> But what bottom of the barrel card, if any, can I get that will make
>> her game work?
>
>I used to play Morrowind just fine on an old GeForce3 card.

Ditto here with a Geforce 2. Your water won't look as cool
with a 2 though. :)

>Any of the
>nVidia or ATI cards available should play Morrowind. Just don't get another
>Intel card.

Just to add to that, when it comes to nvidia, you really want to avoid the
"MX" cards.

Cameron wrote:
> Sarah wrote:
>> "Second Eye" <secondeye@aol.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> But what bottom of the barrel card, if any, can I get that will make
>>> her game work?
>>

>> I used to play Morrowind just fine on an old GeForce3 card. Any of
>> the nVidia or ATI cards available should play Morrowind. Just don't
>> get another Intel card.
>>

> Indeed, however some things (Especially water) look a lot better if
> you have pixel shading available...

> ~Cameron

I have a GF4 Ti4600. I saw the setting for pixel shading so I selected it
(I'd being playing it for ages without it, it must have defaulted to off).
The water effects are great. I thought I read somewhere that these effects
were only available to the next generation cards so I was well pleased.

"Angof" <oan1vgofut@btinternet.com> wrote:
>Cameron wrote:
>> Sarah wrote:
>>> "Second Eye" <secondeye@aol.com> wrote in message

>>> I used to play Morrowind just fine on an old GeForce3 card. Any of
>>> the nVidia or ATI cards available should play Morrowind. Just don't
>>> get another Intel card.
>>
>> Indeed, however some things (Especially water) look a lot better if
>> you have pixel shading available...
>
>I have a GF4 Ti4600. I saw the setting for pixel shading so I selected it
>(I'd being playing it for ages without it, it must have defaulted to off).
>The water effects are great. I thought I read somewhere that these effects
>were only available to the next generation cards so I was well pleased.

Nope, they started pixel shading in the GF3.

It's lacking in the GF4 MXs though.

I have nearly the exact same computer and I have absolutely no problems
running morrowind with tribunal and blood moon (mine is a 3.0e P4 and
everything else is the same)
I used to run this game on a Celeron 500mhz with 512mb pc133 ram and a
GeForce 4 4600 with no problems and all graphical option on high (once I
edited the ini file to limit the framerate to 20 fps)

So, I would suggest checking for updates, for morrowind and for windows and
your video drivers.

"Second Eye" <secondeye@aol.com> wrote in message
> Quick question for the technically inclined..
>
> Its not actually me, but my girlfriend loves Morrowind, and just
> bought a new computer. She also bought Morrowind to play on it. She
> experiences frequent crashes. I've heard this is a bug-ridden game,
> but the screen flickers and crashes every 5 minutes.
>
> Obviously she has a pathetic game card, but I want to make sure it
> will even matter before I run out and buy a card.
>
> Here's what she has:
>
> Sony VAIO
> Intel Pentium 4 processer (2.80 e ohz / 800 mhz FSB / 1 mb L2 Cache)
> 512 MB Memory / 400 mhz ddr
> Current card is Intel Extreme Graphics 2.64 mb (AGP slot is avail.)
> 160 GB HD
>
> She's a morrowind junkie, so I doubt she'll ever try Half-life 2, or
> any other game necessitating a ridiculous 400 Nvida 98932099900, 600MB
> graphic card.
>
> But what bottom of the barrel card, if any, can I get that will make
> her game work?

Second Eye wrote:

playing on a P3 550@770, 320MB Ram, GeForce 4 MX440. It works quite
well with the overclocking but I really have to say water looks much
better with my girlfriend's Dont-Know-What-But-With-Ti-Instead-Of-MX
nVidia card. So nice waves an all that. For the price of equal fps
though she has a P4 1800 or so.

just my 2 cents
luker

:phant wrote:
> "Angof" <oan1vgofut@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> Cameron wrote:

>>> Indeed, however some things (Especially water) look a lot better if
>>> you have pixel shading available...
>>
>> I have a GF4 Ti4600. I saw the setting for pixel shading so I
>> selected it (I'd being playing it for ages without it, it must have
>> defaulted to off). The water effects are great. I thought I read
>> somewhere that these effects were only available to the next
>> generation cards so I was well pleased.
>>

> Nope, they started pixel shading in the GF3.
>
> It's lacking in the GF4 MXs though.

Which makes me a bit of a dork for not checking I had the right settings :)