Can I play this game?

Last response: in Video Games
November 20, 2004 8:04:31 PM

Quick question for the technically inclined..

Its not actually me, but my girlfriend loves Morrowind, and just
bought a new computer. She also bought Morrowind to play on it. She
experiences frequent crashes. I've heard this is a bug-ridden game,
but the screen flickers and crashes every 5 minutes.

Obviously she has a pathetic game card, but I want to make sure it
will even matter before I run out and buy a card.

Here's what she has:

Sony VAIO
Intel Pentium 4 processer (2.80 e ohz / 800 mhz FSB / 1 mb L2 Cache)
512 MB Memory / 400 mhz ddr
Current card is Intel Extreme Graphics 2.64 mb (AGP slot is avail.)
160 GB HD

She's a morrowind junkie, so I doubt she'll ever try Half-life 2, or
any other game necessitating a ridiculous 400 Nvida 98932099900, 600MB
graphic card.

But what bottom of the barrel card, if any, can I get that will make
her game work?

More about : play game

November 20, 2004 11:34:11 PM

"Second Eye" <secondeye@aol.com> wrote in message

> But what bottom of the barrel card, if any, can I get that will make
> her game work?

I used to play Morrowind just fine on an old GeForce3 card. Any of the
nVidia or ATI cards available should play Morrowind. Just don't get another
Intel card.
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 5:11:12 AM

Sarah wrote:
> "Second Eye" <secondeye@aol.com> wrote in message
>

>>But what bottom of the barrel card, if any, can I get that will make
>>her game work?
>

> I used to play Morrowind just fine on an old GeForce3 card. Any of the
> nVidia or ATI cards available should play Morrowind. Just don't get another
> Intel card.

Indeed, however some things (Especially water) look a lot better if you
have pixel shading available, and on another note, if she loves oblivion
when that comes out too then you will need quite a good (understatement)
graphics card I would imagine, but be warned, Graphics of that caliber
coupled with Bethesda's quality of RPG's could be a serious strain on a
relationship ;)

~Cameron
November 21, 2004 5:25:23 AM

"Sarah" <scrubbrush@DELrogers.comDEL> wrote:

>"Second Eye" <secondeye@aol.com> wrote in message
>
>> But what bottom of the barrel card, if any, can I get that will make
>> her game work?
>
>I used to play Morrowind just fine on an old GeForce3 card.

Ditto here with a Geforce 2. Your water won't look as cool
with a 2 though. :)

>Any of the
>nVidia or ATI cards available should play Morrowind. Just don't get another
>Intel card.

Just to add to that, when it comes to nvidia, you really want to avoid the
"MX" cards.
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 11:43:40 PM

Cameron wrote:
> Sarah wrote:
>> "Second Eye" <secondeye@aol.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> But what bottom of the barrel card, if any, can I get that will make
>>> her game work?
>>

>> I used to play Morrowind just fine on an old GeForce3 card. Any of
>> the nVidia or ATI cards available should play Morrowind. Just don't
>> get another Intel card.
>>

> Indeed, however some things (Especially water) look a lot better if
> you have pixel shading available...

> ~Cameron

I have a GF4 Ti4600. I saw the setting for pixel shading so I selected it
(I'd being playing it for ages without it, it must have defaulted to off).
The water effects are great. I thought I read somewhere that these effects
were only available to the next generation cards so I was well pleased.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 5:14:34 AM

"Angof" <oan1vgofut@btinternet.com> wrote:
>Cameron wrote:
>> Sarah wrote:
>>> "Second Eye" <secondeye@aol.com> wrote in message

>>> I used to play Morrowind just fine on an old GeForce3 card. Any of
>>> the nVidia or ATI cards available should play Morrowind. Just don't
>>> get another Intel card.
>>
>> Indeed, however some things (Especially water) look a lot better if
>> you have pixel shading available...
>
>I have a GF4 Ti4600. I saw the setting for pixel shading so I selected it
>(I'd being playing it for ages without it, it must have defaulted to off).
>The water effects are great. I thought I read somewhere that these effects
>were only available to the next generation cards so I was well pleased.

Nope, they started pixel shading in the GF3.

It's lacking in the GF4 MXs though.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 5:45:23 AM

I have nearly the exact same computer and I have absolutely no problems
running morrowind with tribunal and blood moon (mine is a 3.0e P4 and
everything else is the same)
I used to run this game on a Celeron 500mhz with 512mb pc133 ram and a
GeForce 4 4600 with no problems and all graphical option on high (once I
edited the ini file to limit the framerate to 20 fps)

So, I would suggest checking for updates, for morrowind and for windows and
your video drivers.

"Second Eye" <secondeye@aol.com> wrote in message
> Quick question for the technically inclined..
>
> Its not actually me, but my girlfriend loves Morrowind, and just
> bought a new computer. She also bought Morrowind to play on it. She
> experiences frequent crashes. I've heard this is a bug-ridden game,
> but the screen flickers and crashes every 5 minutes.
>
> Obviously she has a pathetic game card, but I want to make sure it
> will even matter before I run out and buy a card.
>
> Here's what she has:
>
> Sony VAIO
> Intel Pentium 4 processer (2.80 e ohz / 800 mhz FSB / 1 mb L2 Cache)
> 512 MB Memory / 400 mhz ddr
> Current card is Intel Extreme Graphics 2.64 mb (AGP slot is avail.)
> 160 GB HD
>
> She's a morrowind junkie, so I doubt she'll ever try Half-life 2, or
> any other game necessitating a ridiculous 400 Nvida 98932099900, 600MB
> graphic card.
>
> But what bottom of the barrel card, if any, can I get that will make
> her game work?
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 4:00:34 PM

Second Eye wrote:

playing on a P3 550@770, 320MB Ram, GeForce 4 MX440. It works quite
well with the overclocking but I really have to say water looks much
better with my girlfriend's Dont-Know-What-But-With-Ti-Instead-Of-MX
nVidia card. So nice waves an all that. For the price of equal fps
though she has a P4 1800 or so.

just my 2 cents
luker
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 10:12:27 PM

:p hant wrote:
> "Angof" <oan1vgofut@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> Cameron wrote:

>>> Indeed, however some things (Especially water) look a lot better if
>>> you have pixel shading available...
>>
>> I have a GF4 Ti4600. I saw the setting for pixel shading so I
>> selected it (I'd being playing it for ages without it, it must have
>> defaulted to off). The water effects are great. I thought I read
>> somewhere that these effects were only available to the next
>> generation cards so I was well pleased.
>>

> Nope, they started pixel shading in the GF3.
>
> It's lacking in the GF4 MXs though.

Which makes me a bit of a dork for not checking I had the right settings :-)
!