Wireless printing.. no wireless port on printer

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Im thinking of buying a printer and due to the size and location I would
like the printer to be upstairs and
connect to it wirelessly.

So how do I make it wireless ? The options :

A) The printer has an Ethernet port but no wifi... should I buy a print
server ?

B) Should I buy an Ethernet bridge to make it into 802.11g compatible ?

C) The 3rd option is a wifi router - could I buy a router and have a small
ethernet cable hooked into it and then access
the printer through the router wirelessley ? This way the router is alot
better equipment and does the same thing as an Ethernet bridge / print
server.

Which is the best and space saving ?

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about wireless printing wireless port printer
  1. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    I use a print server which I bought on E-Bay. Works great...but make sure
    it's compatible with your printer.
    <127.0.0.1@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > Im thinking of buying a printer and due to the size and location I would
    > like the printer to be upstairs and
    > connect to it wirelessly.
    >
    > So how do I make it wireless ? The options :
    >
    > A) The printer has an Ethernet port but no wifi... should I buy a print
    > server ?
    >
    > B) Should I buy an Ethernet bridge to make it into 802.11g compatible ?
    >
    > C) The 3rd option is a wifi router - could I buy a router and have a small
    > ethernet cable hooked into it and then access
    > the printer through the router wirelessley ? This way the router is alot
    > better equipment and does the same thing as an Ethernet bridge / print
    > server.
    >
    > Which is the best and space saving ?
    >
    > Thanks.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In article <42a62596$0$24327$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com>,
    <127.0.0.1@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    > Im thinking of buying a printer and due to the size and location I would
    > like the printer to be upstairs and
    > connect to it wirelessly.
    >
    > So how do I make it wireless ? The options :
    >
    > A) The printer has an Ethernet port but no wifi... should I buy a print
    > server ?
    >
    > B) Should I buy an Ethernet bridge to make it into 802.11g compatible ?
    >
    > C) The 3rd option is a wifi router - could I buy a router and have a small
    > ethernet cable hooked into it and then access
    > the printer through the router wirelessley ? This way the router is alot
    > better equipment and does the same thing as an Ethernet bridge / print
    > server.

    127-

    A) This is a good option if there is some added value to having the print
    server, such as additional buffering of print jobs. Some HP printers have
    that capability in their Ethernet cards, so there might be no benefit to
    having a wireless print server other than for the wireless interface.

    B) The wireless bridge is probably the simplest, cheapest option. Be
    aware that some so-called bridges are only capable of operating as an
    access point (base station), not as a client.

    C) If you have an existing wireless network, then your C) option may not
    be appropriate. You could use the existing router to connect to the
    printer's Ethernet port, but there should only be one router. If you turn
    off its router functions, it may not be capable of being configured as a
    bridge (client).

    An exception to this is the 802.11g "Wireless Distribution System" (WDS),
    where several routers can be configured to do exactly what you want. A
    few brands such as Buffalo and Apple Airport have the WDS capability. All
    but the master have their routing functions disabled.

    My current setup has three (firmware-updated) Buffalo WBR-G54 wireless
    routers, with one configured as the master and two as WDS clients. My
    printer happens to be connected to the master, but works equally well
    connected to either of the others. The WDS clients can also be set up to
    relay signals that originate at a distance from the master unit, if you
    need that capability.

    Fred
  3. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Option C works great.

    Fred McKenzie wrote:

    >In article <42a62596$0$24327$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com>,
    ><127.0.0.1@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >

    >>Im thinking of buying a printer and due to the size and location I would
    >>like the printer to be upstairs and
    >>connect to it wirelessly.
    >>
    >>So how do I make it wireless ? The options :
    >>
    >>A) The printer has an Ethernet port but no wifi... should I buy a print
    >>server ?
    >>
    >>B) Should I buy an Ethernet bridge to make it into 802.11g compatible ?
    >>
    >>C) The 3rd option is a wifi router - could I buy a router and have a small
    >>ethernet cable hooked into it and then access
    >>the printer through the router wirelessley ? This way the router is alot
    >>better equipment and does the same thing as an Ethernet bridge / print
    >>server.
    >>

    >127-
    >
    >A) This is a good option if there is some added value to having the print
    >server, such as additional buffering of print jobs. Some HP printers have
    >that capability in their Ethernet cards, so there might be no benefit to
    >having a wireless print server other than for the wireless interface.
    >
    >B) The wireless bridge is probably the simplest, cheapest option. Be
    >aware that some so-called bridges are only capable of operating as an
    >access point (base station), not as a client.
    >
    >C) If you have an existing wireless network, then your C) option may not
    >be appropriate. You could use the existing router to connect to the
    >printer's Ethernet port, but there should only be one router. If you turn
    >off its router functions, it may not be capable of being configured as a
    >bridge (client).
    >
    >An exception to this is the 802.11g "Wireless Distribution System" (WDS),
    >where several routers can be configured to do exactly what you want. A
    >few brands such as Buffalo and Apple Airport have the WDS capability. All
    >but the master have their routing functions disabled.
    >
    >My current setup has three (firmware-updated) Buffalo WBR-G54 wireless
    >routers, with one configured as the master and two as WDS clients. My
    >printer happens to be connected to the master, but works equally well
    >connected to either of the others. The WDS clients can also be set up to
    >relay signals that originate at a distance from the master unit, if you
    >need that capability.
    >
    >Fred

Printers Wireless Routers Ethernet Card Peripherals