Something is overheating? Vid Card? Help me out

fisch

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Hey all,
I recently built my own system and it is crashing when I play high end games. I have not tried to OC it. There are visual disturbances before it happens in the form of green dots and chopped image, then the image freezes the music is still playing and the computer is unresponsive. I recently bought a new cooling system for my processor bringing it to 40c. This leads me to believe that the video card is overheating. Here is my build anythoughts?:
Pentium D 930 3.0Ghz
VGA LEADTEK Geforce PX7800GT EXTREME TDH
Gigabyte GA-965-DS3 P965 775 sock MOBO
1Gx2 Corsair 6400 Memory

Any thoughts?SHould I get a new vid card coolant sys or reutrn it or ?

cmptrdude79

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
What kinds of temperatures are you getting on your vid card under load? It definitely sounds as though it is overheating, and the artifacts you describe before the computer locks up are a definite indication thereof. First thing I would try is getting on the line with Leadtek's tech support, and seeing what they have to say.

As far as your power supply goes, if you have a halfway decent power supply in the neighborhood of 500 watts, you should be fine. But go ahead and post that here just to be sure.

-J

sailer

Splendid
Sounds simple. Dump the 7800GT and get a 7900GT. Also check out your psu. If it isn't putting out enough power, the gpu will suffer, along with the rest of the system. Since you aren't overclocking, you probably don't need the watercooling, but it won't hurt.

One last thought. Much of the country has been undergoing lots of heat, which means a big draw on power from the electric companies and a lot of fluctuations in the power out of the ac lines. Those fluctuations can cause strange things to appear on a moniter, besides the old BSOD.

PX7800GT

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
VGA LEADTEK Geforce PX7800GT EXTREME TDH
Yeeeeeeaaaaaah ... I Like Your Style :twisted:
I Agree With prozac26 & Bluntside ... :twisted:
I Think Its Your PowerSupply Too ...
GeForce 7800GT Needs atleast 20Amp on +12V ... :!:
Get A New PowerSupply :!:

Jagger

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
I respectfully disagree with my fellow posters that the PSU is to blame (although I don't exclude that possibility - you didn't list the PSU watts and brand). I think it may be the video card overheating. I used to have similar lock ups on an earlier system that I built. I replaced the stock GPU cooler with an Arctic Cooler - never had the problem again.

You can get an AC for about $30.

fisch

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
ahhhh of course, you are probably right about the PSU it is built in to the case. Despite reports of it being pretty reliable, that seems like the most probable cause. man...well better the PSU than the VC Thanks guys. HEre is the case/psu: CASE ASPIRE| XNAVIGTOR SL/BK 500W

asdasd123123

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
You're using a PSU that came with the case? o_O

I'm using a 400w Chieftec myself, gets the job done.
Computer draws about 200w at load, so it's within a safe margin :p

There's no way a 7800GT can pull 20Amps.. =D
(12v*20a=240watt, that's just silly)

fisch

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Err yea, I forgot that I was taking that risk. It is my first custom build. I should have remembered that I was using a questionable PSU. It doesnt seem right that a brand new 7800gt would just overheat in my nice roomy fan whored case.

Mondoman

Splendid
Also, if you're using an aftermarket CPU cooler, try the Intel OEM heatsink/fan. The aftermarket coolers typically don't cool the nearby motherboard components like VRMs.
Finally, make sure you really do have good airflow through your case. What's the "system" temp?

sailer

Splendid
I've got a X-Navigator case and the airflow is good, I can tell you that much. My motherboard tempt runs between 34-46c, with the cpu running about 44c. The gpu is watercooled and runs between 44-56c depending on the load. The case is good in my opinion. I haven't had any psu problems yet, but I might just be lucky. Its an Aspire 680 wt. Don't know about that for sure. Time will tell.

shawnoneill

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2002
I was haveing to replace my high end power supply once or twice a year. after about 5 I bought a UPS. Been fine for 2 years now. I hear the UPS kick on once in a while. I just have bad power in this area.

fisch

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
System temp is about 42 C idle. The cables in this case are very messy I plan on removing one of te removable hard drive cages and maybe fastening the bundle of wires somewhere.

PX7800GT

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
I still say it is your Power Supply ... i have the same video card & my temps are up to 75c ,but never had any problem... as you can see in the back of your graphic card box , the Leadtek 7800GT needs at least 20A on the 12V rail ... so check your powerSupply Spec , and see if it can support it :!:
Prozac - I do believe you are becoming cynical in your old age.....
Hey Jagger ,Show Some Respect To A PC Master ... :evil:

sailer

Splendid
I was haveing to replace my high end power supply once or twice a year. after about 5 I bought a UPS. Been fine for 2 years now. I hear the UPS kick on once in a while. I just have bad power in this area.

I run a ups as well. Years ago, I got BSOD a few times daily, until someone told me that the local AC power fluxuated a lot. Since I bought the ups, I hardly have a problem. I do wonder how many computer problems and psu problems that people have might be really AC line problems. Don't know for sure, just wonder.

scouser1

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Im also having problems with my asus 7800gt i had the odd blue screen at first but thought nothing of it then recently icant even play a game for 10 minutes without it crashing the sound goes all funny the picture locks up pc becomes unresponsive then blue screen appears ive tried everything with this card all drivers and even a new motherboard the only thing i havent tried is a aftermarket gpu fan but i suppose its to far gone now to even bother.The game im playing at the minute is armed assault.

pc specs
athlon 3500+
2gig ddr 400
120 gig hdd
7800gt 256
530w psu
mobo asus a8n5x

sailer

Splendid
You may have had a psu problem when this started, like the psu was running on the ragged edge, but managing most of the time. Now its breaking down quickly and you have the blue screens. The other possibility is that the video card was bad from the start.

First thing I'd do is try the video card in someone else's machine and see if it works ok there. If it still fails, then the card is shot. If it works, then the psu is the next likely culprit. You list the wattage of your psu, but not the company. What make and model psu do you use? Some companies are notorious for bad psus, and even some good companies have a few bad ones floating around. Of course, the psu may just be old and wearing out.

scouser1

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
thx for the reply m8 psu is made by eagle model no dr-b500e i also forgot to mention ive had my card for 12 months now and i checked the clockspeeds with coolbits the other day and the core clock was running at 400 and the memory was running at 2gh surly it shouldnt be this high now bear in mind that this was the first time coolbits was installed and the card has never been overclocked so last night i reinstalled windows and formated hdd and reinstalled coolbits and it was running at 2ghz again.

sailer

Splendid
thx for the reply m8 psu is made by eagle model no dr-b500e i also forgot to mention ive had my card for 12 months now and i checked the clockspeeds with coolbits the other day and the core clock was running at 400 and the memory was running at 2gh surly it shouldnt be this high now bear in mind that this was the first time coolbits was installed and the card has never been overclocked so last night i reinstalled windows and formated hdd and reinstalled coolbits and it was running at 2ghz again.

The video card may have a factory overclocking, which would be why it shows such speeds desoite you not overclocking it.

I looked up your psu brand, Eagle, and its on the "Not Recommended" list from Xtremesystems.org. That means the failure rate is high or it has other particular problems. You can find out more about psu's in the forums under "Hardware, power supplies, PSU 101". Very likely you have had a psu problem from the start, but the psu is now breaking down completely when under load.

scouser1

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Ok thx for the help m8 i apreciate it,so do you think my gfx will be screwd now or will a new psu fix the problem

sailer

Splendid
You won't know for sure until you get a decent psu in place. Likely as not, the graphics card is ok, just underpowered. There is always a chance something burned on it, but try to keep a positive outlook. At worst, there are now a lot of cards out which are better and they don't cost a fortune.