KB - MS Digital Media PRO key combos EF+R possible?

Rej

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Hi all,

I'm about to change my recently purchased Logitech Internet PRO keyboard to a Digital Media PRO or G15 (I'm short on space real estate, the Digital Media PRO takes less space and has all the functionality I need except perhaps the key combos explained below). Before I do so though, I'd like some confirmations from anyone who owns a Microsoft Digital Media Pro keyboard.

I'm a user that always changes the default WASD keyset for moving around to ESDF -- it feels more natural to me since I tend to use the middle finger to move forward/backward and this way, I can leave my hands positioned in a natural keyboard style (ASDF-JKL;) for typing *and* for playing.

With this in mind, I started playing World of Warcraft and while hunting, I noticed that if I'm moving diagonally (EF or ES) and try to jump (I use the R key to jump), it won't work.

So after reading up on some forums, I noticed that indeed, some key combinations won't work on some keyboards. To see it more easily, I tested it in notepad. I saw that if I press 'EF' at the same time then press the 'R' key, 'R' won't register in notepad (or any other software/edit boxes).

Again, all of the above is on a Logitech Internet PRO keyboard... so my question/request is: can someone test if the following combinations will work on the Microsoft Digital Media Pro?

1) EF+R
2) ES+R
3) DF+R
4) DS+R

Thanks in advance for *any* help provided... it is all much appreciated.

Rej

P.S. I was able to get some info on other Logitech keyboards and the only one that is able to do all the above combos is the G15 so far. Reviews on the G15 are varied and since I'm not looking for *that much* functionality, and the fact that I use Vista Beta at times (which G15 won't support) and that I'd rather have a keyboard with both USB and PS/2 connections, the MS digital media PRO has all the features I need.... I just hope the above key combos work on it :/

Rej

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
At this point, I'm wondering if the combos would work on *any* MS keyboards (wired or wireless) since I need to make my decision soon and can't test the MS keyboards at my store since the boxes are sealed and the vendor won't open one just for a test.

So, to recap, if anyone (with a Microsoft keyboard) could test the following combos in notepad or Wordpad -- Hold down EF together then tap 'R' or 'Space' to see if the last key pressed will register or not.

Thanks again.

R

P.S. Both 'R' and 'Space' tests would be appreciated :)

Rej

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Finally found a store (Best Buy) that would allow me to test the keyboard and it turns out that the Digital Media Pro does support most of the combos I mentionned previously except the EF+R.

Funny thing is that the 20$ Microsoft keyboard I tested support all the combos... the G15 as well so I went with the G15 :)

For those living in Canada and have access to a Micro-Bytes.. they have a great price for the G15 right now (check their website).

So now, time to research the funcionnality of this keyboard/macros/etc/etc 8)

Cheers...

R