Windows Update Fails on my Win2k3 Ent Server

Hi There,

When I tried to perform a windows update on my win2k3 Ent server, the MS
update site returned with a "Software Update Incomplete" message and asked
to click the "Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q174360 which is:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN;Q319585&LN=EN

I followed the above link and clean the "C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate\V4"
directory as well as removing any iuctl.dll and iuengine.dll files found
through a search. After deleting these two files per instruction on the
above link, my server never asked to insert the Win2k3 server installation
CD-ROM nor prompted me to install a newer version of the files from the
Windows Update Web site. Now, everytime when I try to perform the windows
update, MS Windows Update sites keeps returning with "Administrators Only"
messages even though the update is performed under Administrator account.
So, how do I go to install a new version of the iuctl.dll and iuengine.dll
files if I can't even perform a Windows Update? Any clue?

Thanks in advance.

--
Mazi
5 answers Last reply

    Hi Mazi,

    I have uploaded two files: iuctl.dll and iuengine.dll copied from my
    machine. You can use OE to download files. Start the machine in Safe Mode
    and paste the file. If you need, please provide me the valid email address
    and I will send them to you directly.

    In addition, please check the permission of the following key, grant
    everyone full control to the following key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate

    For more details, please refer to the following link:
    When trying to use the Windows Update Web site you receive an
    "Administrators Only" error message (Windows XP only)

    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/#Problem%20reaching%20Win
    dows%20Update

    If the issue persists, please download the MPS report tool from the
    following link and send the result (CAB) file to me. This log file can help
    me clarify the computer configuration.

    <http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/1/bb139fcb-4aac-4fe5-a579-30b0bd
    915706/MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE>

    1. Double click this file to run it.
    2. After that, please go to C:\windows\MPSReports\Setup\Reports\Cab .
    3. Find a file named [COMPUTERNAME]_MPSReports.CAB
    4. Send this cab file to me at v-rebc@microsoft.com

    Further questions, let us get in touch!

    Best regards,

    Rebecca Chen

    MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Hi Rebecca,

    First thank you for your quick response.

    Where did you upload these two .dll files to? If you meant the attachment to
    your post, I could not find them. My MSN account is almost full (2MB only);
    however, you certainly can send the files to my "mazil0" (0 is a zero and
    not a capital leter "o") account under yahoo thot com e-mail service.

    Again, thank you very much for trying to help and I have appreciated that.

    --
    Mazi

    "Rebecca Chen [MSFT]" <v-rebc@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Mazi,
    >
    > I have uploaded two files: iuctl.dll and iuengine.dll copied from my
    > machine. You can use OE to download files. Start the machine in Safe Mode
    > and paste the file. If you need, please provide me the valid email address
    > and I will send them to you directly.
    >
    > In addition, please check the permission of the following key, grant
    > everyone full control to the following key:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate
    >
    > For more details, please refer to the following link:
    > When trying to use the Windows Update Web site you receive an
    > "Administrators Only" error message (Windows XP only)

    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/#Problem%20reaching%20Win
    > dows%20Update
    >
    > If the issue persists, please download the MPS report tool from the
    > following link and send the result (CAB) file to me. This log file can
    help
    > me clarify the computer configuration.

    <http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/1/bb139fcb-4aac-4fe5-a579-30b0bd
    > 915706/MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE>
    >
    > 1. Double click this file to run it.
    > 2. After that, please go to C:\windows\MPSReports\Setup\Reports\Cab
    ..
    > 3. Find a file named [COMPUTERNAME]_MPSReports.CAB
    > 4. Send this cab file to me at v-rebc@microsoft.com
    >
    > Further questions, let us get in touch!
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Rebecca Chen
    >
    > MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA
    >

    > Microsoft Online Partner Support

    rights.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Hi Mazi,

    I have uploaded the attachments in this newsgroup and you need to configure
    Outlook Express to download the attachment.

    Now, I have sent the attachments to your yahoo email. Please check it.

    Any update, let us get in touch!

    Best regards,

    Rebecca Chen

    MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Hi rebecca,

    Hmmm, that's strange regarding the returned e-mail. Anyway, I
    downloaded/extracted the dll.zip file, Before I replaced my iuctl.dll and
    iuengine.dll files in c:\windows\system32, I did a comparison between your
    dll files and mine and they matched. So, I renamed my dll files and move
    your dll files to c:\windows\system32, and the Windows Update from
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp still complains with
    the "Software Update Incomplete" and asking me to perform the same article
    Q174360
    (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN;Q319585&LN=EN).

    I am clueless at this point.

    --

    > Hi Mazi,
    >
    > I got the email returned from mazil0@yahoo.com. I upload the files here.
    > Please use OE to download the attachments.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Rebecca Chen
    >
    > MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA
    >

    > Microsoft Online Partner Support

    rights.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

    Hi Mazi,

    Please try the following steps to check the status:

    Step 1: Check the following link with the snippet "In the process of
    updating Windows, you are taken to the Software Update Incomplete page (on
    Windows XP and Windows 2000) ":

    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

    Step 2: Issue the command "regsvr32 iuengine.dll " and "regsvr32 iuctl.dll"
    Step 3: Refer to the following link to troubleshoot this issue:
    http://www.updatexp.com/0x800B0004.html

    This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site.
    Microsoft can make no representation concerning the content of these sites.
    Microsoft is providing this information only as a convenience to you: this
    is to inform you that Microsoft has not tested any software or information
    found on these sites and therefore cannot make any representations
    regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or
    information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any
    software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure
    that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software on
    the Internet.

    Step4: Correct System time.
    Click Start->Setting->Control Panel->Data and Time->Set the correct time

    Step5: Windows Update folder:
    Unhide all the system files
    =====
    1. Double click My computers.
    2. Click Tools->Folder Options->View.
    3. Check Show hidden files and folders.
    4. Uncheck Hide extensions for known file types.
    5. Click OK to quit Folder Options.

    Delete Folder
    1. Click Start -> Run, type "%temp%" (without the quotation marks) and
    click OK.
    2. Delete all files in this folder.
    3 Locate C:\ Program Files\WindowsUpdate folder and delete it.
    4. Delete the folder C:\WUTemp.
    5. Please restart the system and then go to the WU site to test this issue.
    Note: If some files cannot be deleted, please log onto the computer in Safe
    Mode to delete them:

    If the issue persists, please send me (v-rebc@microsoft.com) the "windows
    update.log" for research.

    --------------------
    >From: "!SpamMe" <a@b.com>
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
    >Subject: Re: Windows Update Fails on my Win2k3 Ent Server
    >Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:37:32 GMT
    >
    >Hi rebecca,
    >
    >Hmmm, that's strange regarding the returned e-mail. Anyway, I
    >downloaded/extracted the dll.zip file, Before I replaced my iuctl.dll and
    >iuengine.dll files in c:\windows\system32, I did a comparison between your
    >dll files and mine and they matched. So, I renamed my dll files and move
    >your dll files to c:\windows\system32, and the Windows Update from
    >http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp still complains with
    >the "Software Update Incomplete" and asking me to perform the same article
    >Q174360
    >(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN;Q319585&LN=EN).
    >
    >I am clueless at this point.
    >
    >--
    >Mazi
    >

    >"Rebecca Chen [MSFT]" <v-rebc@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Mazi,
    >>
    >> I got the email returned from mazil0@yahoo.com. I upload the files here.
    >> Please use OE to download the attachments.
    >>
    >> Best regards,
    >>
    >> Rebecca Chen
    >>
    >> MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA
    >>

    >> Microsoft Online Partner Support

    >> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
    >> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

    >rights.

Windows Update Microsoft Servers Windows