Sign in with
Your question

Help, problems installing new motherboard and processor

Last response: in Motherboards
August 3, 2006 5:09:17 PM

My old system is a Pentium 4 prescott (socket 478) with an MSI PT880 board. I am trying to install an Athlon X2 3800 (socket 939) with an AsRock 939Dual-Sata2. Problem is that the system reboots or freezes whenever it reaches the Welcome To Setup screen (the one that says press F3 to install new, R to repair, esc to exit) in Windows 2000 Pro setup. Sometimes the error says IRQL IS NOT LESS OR EQUAL.

I've also tried running a Windows XP installation (the setup cd does not have CD booting) that was installed previously with the P4, but, but the Athlon X2 system reboots whenever I choose to run it.

I have 1gb of PC3200 ram, but am only using 512mb (one stick) for install.
August 3, 2006 5:28:19 PM

I had a similar problem installing my x2 this weekend. there should be a jumper on the bios to reset it, or "flash" it - reffer to the mobo manual. give that a try....
August 4, 2006 2:18:28 AM

Anyone else have any other advice?
Related resources
August 4, 2006 2:23:11 AM

google it...
"driver irql not less or equal

there is tons on the problem. try moving your cards from their pci slots...switch them around. it sounds like two or more cards are trying to get the same irql (priority) from your system, the computer doesn't know what to do so it error out.
August 4, 2006 4:16:59 PM

I made some progress. I put the stick of PC3200 512mb ram into slot 2 and was able to go as far as seeing the windows xp desktop and the desktop icons. It either hangs right there or it gives me a blue screen. The errors I'm getting now are:
Stop: 0x0000008E
Stop: 0x00000050 Page Fault In Nonpaged Area

I was able to get two minidumps, but I don't understand them. I've uploaded them, please can someone who understand them check them out: http://home.comcast.net/~alexthegreywolf3/Minidumps.zip
August 5, 2006 4:12:44 AM

I finally was able to load windows with this system, by underclocking the cpu to 800mhz...
After the devices loaded and installed, I tried to load windows at 2ghz, but it wouldn't work, all I see is a frozen black screen with the mouse pointer in the middle of the screen. Any ideas how I can fix it so that I can run the cpu at stock 2ghz?
August 5, 2006 4:48:39 AM

The error messages you are getting,

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and
PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA

are most commonly the result of programming errors. This doesn't apply in your case since you are installing Windows from scratch.

In your case, those messages are strong indicators of a memory problem.

Use memtest to test the memory. From what you've said, I gather you have two sticks of memory, test them one by one (that is only one at a time installed).

HTH.
August 5, 2006 5:30:10 AM

Have you tried completely reformatting your hdd in the windows installation menu. This could possibly help as you'll remove all traces of your prior install. BTW, I wouldn't expect your old windows install to boot considering the massive changes to your system. If this doesn't work and your memory's ok it's probably a bad motherboard. The only other thing I can think of to ask is: is this a real windows disk or a sytem restore disk from an oem?
August 5, 2006 6:39:48 AM

Quote:
Have you tried completely reformatting your hdd in the windows installation menu. This could possibly help as you'll remove all traces of your prior install. BTW, I wouldn't expect your old windows install to boot considering the massive changes to your system. If this doesn't work and your memory's ok it's probably a bad motherboard. The only other thing I can think of to ask is: is this a real windows disk or a sytem restore disk from an oem?

I'll try a repair install first. As for the windows cd, it's not authentic and unfortunately it is not a bootable disk (so I have a bootable Win2K cd for emergency cases), real version is too expensive. The system is working now but only at 1ghz instead of stock 2ghz, maybe repair install would fix that.
!