Big Problems with Windows ME, Please Help!

G

About 6 months ago, I performed a major upgrade to my system. I bought a Abit KT7A-Raid motherboard, a 1GHz Athlon, and 256MB of PC133 SDRAM. After installing these parts in my systm, and verifying that windows 98 worked properly with all of my components, I decided to complete the upgrade by reformatting my hard drive and installing Windows ME. The installation went well (completed in about 25 minutes), and I had no problems for a month or two afterwards. Then I started having problems. Every once and a while I would get a blue screen of death on startup saying windows protection error, have to restart. So I would restart and everything would go on normally. Then I changed my monitor driver from "Plug and Play Monitor" to standard svga 1600x1200. The "Building Windows Information/Driver Database" window took about 5-10 minutes to get from 0-100%. I continued to experience the same problem so I reinstalled ME, which then took over 3 hours to install. The file copying process and the detecting system hardware took many times longer than they should have. It took about an hour and a half to get from 27 minutes remaining to 19 minutes remaining on the install. After that windows seem to run ok. I still got the occasional BSOD, but no more than usual with windows. Yesterday I installed a new video card (MSI Starforce 831 Geforce2 Pro 64MB), and the windows sits there on startup "Detected new hardware" and attempting to locate the driver for it. It doesn't get above 0%, it just stops responding. I am forced to kill it, and then windows doesn't start. I can boot into safe mode fine. I was almost sure that I had a hardware problem, but when windows was running all applications,games, etc. ran normally. If anyone can give me something to try to troubleshoot this problem, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Jim

G

yeah hi there! I have had problems with Win ME in the past same as you, ended up having to formatt and then loaded ME again.Its ok now. But I think Win ME is not really worth it stay with 98SE if you can, the extras are not that much better. Waiting for Win XP to come myself.Will get back to you shortly while I have a think about it.
Any error messages?

:smile: Too damn hot in that kitchen!

G

Had same with hardware search thing, ended up blowing a new hard drive too,dunno if it was related . I say format,reload ok.Try again, uncanny really that you have same problemsas I did. Mine works great now, no BSOD evrything is just peachy... I think thatWin ME sometimes doesnt load all the CAB files right.

:smile: Too damn hot in that kitchen!