Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 8 Upgrade Offer Question

Last response: in Windows 8
December 4, 2012 10:21:49 PM

I currently have a valid full version (non OEM) of Windows Vista and Windows XP that I would like to turn into Windows 8 copies though the upgrade program and use them on computers that I intend to build next year. Both OS are not currently installed on any system. Is there a way to upgrade without having to go through the hassle of installing them? Neither OS installation disk likes some of the modern hardware that I use (SSDs and 3+ TB Hard Drives) and I am hoping I can save myself the hassle of having to make a bunch of tweaks only to install an OS I am going to deleted 5 minutes later
a b * Windows 8
December 4, 2012 11:09:33 PM

Hi :) 

You HAVE TO have a valid os on a machine to upgrade....PLUS it HAS TO BE activated....

Also the cheap upgrade option will expire in January, so you had better build them fast...

Thirdly I hope those Vista and XP`s have NEVER been used or it wont work anyway...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
December 5, 2012 12:25:00 AM

I don't need to build the computers by then. At worst ill just install old OSs on my current computer and do the upgrade and save the key for when I do build them.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
December 5, 2012 12:41:42 AM

Heck just call Microsoft support and tell them what you want to do. I bet they would just sell you 2 keys at the upgrade price if you give them two valid keys to mark as active. Otherwise you will have to install the old OS and buy the key and save it for later. You can activate it later when you build your machine. I think you are allowed to buy up to 5 keys at the upgrade price.
Worst case is install the old OS, activate, buy the new OS key then transfer the license to the new machine when you build it. Really a pain.
December 5, 2012 12:55:35 AM

johnbl said:
Heck just call Microsoft support and tell them what you want to do. I bet they would just sell you 2 keys at the upgrade price if you give them two valid keys to mark as active. Otherwise you will have to install the old OS and buy the key and save it for later. You can activate it later when you build your machine. I think you are allowed to buy up to 5 keys at the upgrade price.
Worst case is install the old OS, activate, buy the new OS key then transfer the license to the new machine when you build it. Really a pain.

Good idea, i'll give them a call.
m
l
December 5, 2012 12:55:43 AM

Best answer selected by BriboCN.
m
l
December 5, 2012 12:56:01 AM

m
l
December 5, 2012 12:56:16 AM

m
l
December 5, 2012 12:56:43 AM

lol didn't mean to do that
m
l
a b * Windows 8
December 5, 2012 1:22:30 AM

I used the upgrade offer on both of my AMD/ATI rigs and did NOT have any OS installed on ether one of them. I installed Windows 8 on two brand new SSD drives. Windows 8 fully activated on both rigs with no problems.
m
l
!