Izerous

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
I currently have a Koolance PS2-901 which was massive over kill for the components I used to have in it, but kind of pushing the limits with what i have now. I'm kind of fond of the case and quite expensive for the new generation ones that I would want. So i came down to the idea of a second radiator to drop temperatures. I have not really found one that i really like. I like the idea of the giant passive side mounts but they are passive... I would like to build a custom radiator or figure out how to make the one on top better without totally destroying the case if at all possible. If anyone has some suggestions or knows where a reference on building radiators is, it woudl be appreciated.

BrockSampson

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Im picturing your case right now in my head and I see your problem. With those cases that come with watercooling they leave you with limited options... but I have some ideas for you:

-You could drill two holes and run tubing to the back of your computer and install a 120mm radiator back there. Something that you would find on dangerden.com. This would only require you to drain your system and mess with some tubing and drill a couple holes big enough and thats relatively easy. The problem is your pump, or could be your pump that is. If you install another radiator your giving your pump more work and if the pump in those kits is made just to get by with the basic needs of watercooling then you might see a drop in flowrate, or worst case scenario a failure of your pump. Flowrate is crucial... but my guess is that if you went with a 120mm radiator(the type that fits only one 120mm fan) , and you didnt get anything bigger you wouldnt have a problem. But thats my guess, you could always install another pump but thats getting crazy and expensive... and you could be limited by the amount of space in your case.
Thats what I would do if I was you... I would install the extra 120mm radiator in the back. You would likely see a 3-5 C temp drop. But thats just a guess too! Watercooling is still in its infancy and theres a lot of experimenting to do, which is what makes watercooling so much fun! If your really interested in colling your computer looking into thermal electric cooling with "pelts" they sell the stuff to do it on dangerden.com and other places as well. They will actually cool your computer BELOW the temperature of the room, and thats absolutely impossible to do unless you throw your computer in the fridge! Even with watercooling you cant even get your temps down to room temp, its just not possible. But either way, good luck!

Izerous

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
actually i did a 20 page report on peltiers and i had thought of it... however i'm in my last year of college so i'm not really flowing with money to do a proper peltier set up. I actually had plans on a total sub zero case but i need money to do that, money for the parts then money for the power bill:). This why i was looking for a cheaper solution like a another radiator. But you brought something to my attention i never thought of which was the flow rate. It is dual pumps but they are smaller the bellow ones are what are in the tower.
http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=30_33&products_id=65

You did give me a few things to think about thank you.

AntiHax0r

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Well adding more radiators are not going to do you any good .. if your pump doesn't provide sufficient flow or your single radiator already brings temps down to ambient temps =/ ... any temps lower than ambient its going to be like submerging the thing in ice or phase change cooling.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I use 2 rads myself in my cooling solution but both are external. I am not sure how much room you have in your case but there are a number of ideas you could consider. In my cooling setup, I have fans on both sides of each rad in a "push-pull" combination - where the fans on both sides blow in the same direction thus one pushes air through the fins and the other pulls it through.

Adding a second rad to the solution could be problematic - I could not find the rating of the pump in the koolance kit (It looks like an EXOS-LT variant) and it looks as though you have 80mm fans in the rear of the case so that would seem to have you using 80mm rads. Is this correct or do you have 120mm fan mounts in the back?

Izerous

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
the top is a 3x80mm rad
below the powersupply there is 2x80mm ports
hard drive modules have an 80mm fan each (2x) but there is so little room to do anything there
where the power supply is mounted i think the bracket comes out so it can handle 2x power supplies but i'm not sure never really played with it but with it there it holds a 92mm fan just above the powersupply (just below the controller chip for the fans/pumps in the top back corner

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
You may have to do a little modding but you could mount a dual 80mm rad in the rear - either internally or externally using a radbox kit.