Sign in with
Your question

Asus P5W DH Deluxe needs bios update

Last response: in CPUs
August 3, 2006 9:41:24 PM

For those of you who have bought this board for CORE 2 DUO; I will warn you that my E6700 does not boot the post screen. :cry:  I am going to have to change back to my 805 and flash it. :roll:

I will keep you informed whether it works or not, who knows could be a faulty CPU?? 8O
August 3, 2006 10:59:08 PM

I checked with where I ordered mine from and they confirmed that theres shipped with the latest BIOS that supports Core 2 Duo.

Or do you think they lied, he didnt seem to know tbh. 8O
August 3, 2006 11:00:02 PM

need new bios in order to run core 2 duo, asus always does that.
Related resources
August 3, 2006 11:01:23 PM

arent the latest ones shipping with Core 2 Duo?

Does asus class the board as Core 2 Duo compatible whether they ship it with the latest BIOS or not?
August 3, 2006 11:54:46 PM

The Asus P5W DH Deluxe officially launched before Core 2 Duo was launched so the first ones shipped without BIOS support for Core 2 Duo even though the board is compatible. It depends on how old the stock of the retailer is. Newer ones should have the correct BIOS.

Here is a nice Asus P5W DH Deluxe and Conroe setup guide by freecableguy. He goes into hotflashing to a Conroe compatible BIOS.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10...

ASUS has been releasing new P5W DH Deluxe BIOSs like crazy. They're up to 903 now.

http://wiki.p5wdh.de/doku.php?id=downloads:bios
August 4, 2006 12:03:40 AM

I have finally got my core 2 duo up and running, unoverclocked. Running pretty cool! With my Intel Pentium D 940, water cooled, it ran at 51C, but w/ the core, it's running 26c-27c. I haven't done any benchmarks, and probably won't. If I can figure out how to attach a screen shot, I will show you. BTW, I'm running the Asus P5W DH Deluxe MB w/ the new 901 bios.
August 4, 2006 1:23:16 AM

The M.B are almost always not updated, unless the technician at the retail shop you bought it from updated it before they sell it to customer. Because the suppliers are very lazy, they don't think it's their duty to make every M.B they imported up to date with the lastest Bios versions. They just sell it to a distributor and it's the retailers job to update it, because if there's any problems the customer will come back to the retailer not the supplier. But sometimes the technician in a retailer shop couldn't care less so they just sell the M.B as it is.
Even if it's updated before they ship it out from the manufacturer it will arrive like 1 month later, and during that time there could be some more updates avaliable for the bios. Which need to be flashed again to the latest for stability/compatibility.
August 4, 2006 8:05:06 AM

Quote:
For those of you who have bought this board for CORE 2 DUO; I will warn you that my E6700 does not boot the post screen. :cry:  I am going to have to change back to my 805 and flash it. :roll:

I will keep you informed whether it works or not, who knows could be a faulty CPU?? 8O

I think it will boot with a C2D with BIOS 601+, but requires 701+ to work properly. I'm hoping mine comes with at least 601 so i can boot it with my C2D and Flash the BIOS, otherwise i'll have to use my old P4 560 to flash it.

EEEK, will it support a P4 560 enough to flash the BIOS?
August 4, 2006 9:37:00 AM

Quote:

Confimed. As much as I hate to do it, as the Fanboys will be crawling out of the woodwork to flame Core 2, The Asus P5W DH Deluxe does need a bios flash. My board is rev 1.02G, and even though the included documentation states it is Core 2 Duo compatable (for E6800EE, E6700, E6600, E6400,and E6300) it will not post. A quick search of the web revealed several others have encountered the same problem. The search has also revealed that flashing the BIOS is the solution. The current BIOS for Core 2 is 901 beta, available here:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguag...

Peace
August 4, 2006 10:53:05 AM

Quote:

Confimed. As much as I hate to do it, as the Fanboys will be crawling out of the woodwork to flame Core 2, The Asus P5W DH Deluxe does need a bios flash. My board is rev 1.02G, and even though the included documentation states it is Core 2 Duo compatable (for E6800EE, E6700, E6600, E6400,and E6300) it will not post. A quick search of the web revealed several others have encountered the same problem. The search has also revealed that flashing the BIOS is the solution. The current BIOS for Core 2 is 901 beta, available here:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguag...

Peace

actually it's intel's fault, the p5w dh supports the engineering conroe samples fine, but intel changed the stepping be4 conroe's release, screwing up the BIOS.
August 4, 2006 11:35:08 AM

How can I find out what bios revision my P5W has? got it this morn and wanna know what i'm up against to get c2d working!
August 4, 2006 11:48:07 AM

Bummer...

You would need a processor that works on the board to update/flash the bios so the C2D will post.

Or spend some cash at a local PC store to have them do it.

Or have Asus send you another bios chip that has the update.

:? . o O (I think)

Edit:

Perhaps looking at the Rev number on your board will help determine what bios version you do have, and what it supports.
August 4, 2006 12:05:35 PM

Quote:
How can I find out what bios revision my P5W has? got it this morn and wanna know what i'm up against to get c2d working!

Find the BIOS chip on the board, usually made by AMI (American MsomethingTrends Inc), it will have the bios number printed on it.
August 4, 2006 12:55:34 PM

August 8, 2006 4:14:12 PM

I have the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe w/ the antec P180. I recommend getting a Antec approved power supply for "THAT CASE". I ran into issues because of the location of the PSU being at the bottom. The motherboard power cable was not long enough to reach the board. That may not be the case with my P5W DH Deluxe, but since I already had the approved PSU, I couldn't test it out. I recommend the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
which newegg has in stock.
August 8, 2006 4:20:22 PM

Great. Thanks for the tips.
!