Help: Newbie or maybe Novice now: Soul trap, how to use th..

I've manage to soul trap into a ash ghoul into
a grand soul trap. How can I use that to improve
my silver long blade, which is my primary weapon?

And another question I have been meaning to ask,
is, "how to get rid of the "blind" part of the Blinding
Speed Boots? I don't see how to use them if I can't
see.

Thanks for all the previous great help. I now know
how to cast magic most of the time. I'm talking
about the mechanics, not whether it works or not.
I've even make my first potions too! This game
is fantastic.

El Boa

El Boa wrote:
> I've manage to soul trap into a ash ghoul into
> a grand soul trap. How can I use that to improve
> my silver long blade, which is my primary weapon?

The easiest way is to pay an enchanter at one of the mages guilds to
enchant the sword with a spell you know.

> And another question I have been meaning to ask,
> is, "how to get rid of the "blind" part of the Blinding
> Speed Boots? I don't see how to use them if I can't
> see.

You can get a resist magic spell or item that works for a couple of
seconds while you put on the boots. If you don't totally resist the
blind spell with an item or spell you might be able to see everything,
only darker, or you can use a night eye spell or item (preferably a
constant effect item) to see better.

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 02:39:15 -0600, El Boa <Someone@nowhere.net>
wrote:

>I've manage to soul trap into a ash ghoul into
>a grand soul trap. How can I use that to improve
>my silver long blade, which is my primary weapon?

Fire damage plus one point of night eye is a good combination.
Paralyse probably won't last long enough to be helpful - perhaps
blind.

>And another question I have been meaning to ask,
>is, "how to get rid of the "blind" part of the Blinding
>Speed Boots? I don't see how to use them if I can't
>see.

If you have ever learned a spell involving magic resistance you can go
to a spell maker and get a "Resist Magicka 100% for 2 seconds" spell
made relatively cheaply. Cast spell, put on boots and enjoy - the
blindness is ONLY at the moment where you put the boots on so once
you've resisted the initial attack of blindness you're fine until you
have to put them on again (for instance if they've been destroyed in
battle and need repaired)

Now my character is a Breton which has inbuilt 50% magic resistance so
the required spell is cheaper yet.

Some custom spells can unbalance the game - there's one you can make
which fortifies your abilities but due to a program bug does so
permanently - mouhaha!

A word to the wise - DON'T kill Dreamers - in later game there is a
way to heal them and when you talk to a healed Dreamer your reputation
goes up by one each time...

> If you have ever learned a spell involving magic resistance you can go
> to a spell maker and get a "Resist Magicka 100% for 2 seconds" spell
> made relatively cheaply.

1 second is sufficient. Cast and immediately open inventory, put on boots.
The difference in price for that extra second is just not worth it, and it's
not like it's at all challenging to get it done in 1 second. It's also not
like you'll need to do it very often. The only time I ever have to do it
again is if my boots get broken and I need to repair them, which is very
rare. I think in the months since I've owned them, I've had to repair them
maybe 3 times ever. Most enemies don't attack your feet, and those that do
don't do much damage as a rule. (Only times I've had them broken was when I
was upstairs or upslope from a more powerful melee-attacking enemy.)

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:09:23 -0600, El Boa <Someone@nowhere.net>
wrote:

>Only problem is that I've already wasted about 8 or 9 dreamers.
>My reputation is shot. I'll have to be a tyrant, and subdue
>the world. <g>

No - killing dreamers doesn't HURT your reputation - you just lose out
on your chance toIMPROVE your reputation by "rescuing" them.

>Happy Thankgiving!

I'm a Canadian so I had mine about a month ago but I'll accept your
good wishes in the spirit it was offered. Trust you had a good time...

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:34:14 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>> If you have ever learned a spell involving magic resistance you can go
>> to a spell maker and get a "Resist Magicka 100% for 2 seconds" spell
>> made relatively cheaply.
>
>1 second is sufficient. Cast and immediately open inventory, put on boots.
>The difference in price for that extra second is just not worth it, and it's
>not like it's at all challenging to get it done in 1 second. It's also not
>like you'll need to do it very often. The only time I ever have to do it
>again is if my boots get broken and I need to repair them, which is very
>rare. I think in the months since I've owned them, I've had to repair them
>maybe 3 times ever. Most enemies don't attack your feet, and those that do
>don't do much damage as a rule. (Only times I've had them broken was when I
>was upstairs or upslope from a more powerful melee-attacking enemy.)

I usually do 3 seconds instead of 2 but that's more for Murphy's law
reasons than anything else - 1 second is indeed quite sufficient. (I
liked 3 since if I got confused and tried to equip a non-magical
similar looking pair of boots I had time for a second try. Other than
a small amount of gold cost when making the spell there's very little
difference in effect so far as I can see.

I've had the boots broken numerous times...

> I could never get the 1 second spell to work. Maybe I just take too
> long to open the inventory after casting. I use 2 seconds and never
> have a problem.

Are you playing on PC or X-box? On PC, it's so simple to do, have your
Resist Magicka item active, left-click and then right-click immediately.
You don't even have to move your hand. Don't wait for the spell graphics to
finish, it'll be over by then. Never seen how the X-box controls work, but
I can't imagine it would be any more complicated than that.

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 13:33:39 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>Are you playing on PC or X-box? On PC, it's so simple to do, have your
>Resist Magicka item active, left-click and then right-click immediately.
>You don't even have to move your hand. Don't wait for the spell graphics to
>finish, it'll be over by then. Never seen how the X-box controls work, but
>I can't imagine it would be any more complicated than that.

I am on the PC and I didn't wait for the spell graphics to finish, but
I did wait for them to start. Maybe that was the problem. Anyway, I
am quite happy with the 2 second version.
--
Nyctolops

> I am on the PC and I didn't wait for the spell graphics to finish, but
> I did wait for them to start. Maybe that was the problem. Anyway, I
> am quite happy with the 2 second version.

Yeah, the spell goes into effect the instant you cast it, which means before
the graphics start. As in the case of most spells, the graphics for casting
it are really extraneous, and happen after the effect of the spell, not
before it. (Notice, for example, if you cast any of the teleportation
spells, you never see any spell effect around you until after you arrive.)
I think there's an exception for attack spells, but any type of enchantment
takes place instantly. I know that it's possible to interrupt an attack
spell, say, by killing the caster, but if they cast a defense spell, it
stays in effect even after they die. I often see the shield spell effect
around dead Bonelords for a few seconds after I kill them...