Mobile CPU Wars: Core 2 Duo vs. Core Duo

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Kind Of Makes You Get a wondering twitch and start wondering "why not Just get a Core Duo" if Core Duo can perform on par with the Memrom and the Conroe E6300-E6400 I'd like to hope that i can Fit a Core Duo and a motherboard into a Case and just run that If i really want a New Gen Intel machine. The 4 Mb cache and the 4 nodes per cycle thing don't seem to be giving it any huge Advantage from the Core Duo on 3nodes at same Clock speeds

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
The reason why we're not seeing huge performance gains from Yonah to Merom as we saw from Presler to Conroe is because the Yonah architecture is very strong to begin with. I only glanced over the article, but I believe you still see strong 10% or more performance increases going from Yonah to Merom so that's not insubstantial. The reason why the gaming numbers aren't so impressive is because the MR X1600 is severe limiter compared to say a desktop X1900XTX. Also, Merom is limited by its 667MHz FSB. Squeezing that 10% increase in performance on that small FSB is still pretty good. It should put even more distance between Merom and Turion64 X2. I'd be interested in seeing some 64-bit though since that's really Merom's major new feature.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I've got no intentions of Banging that 64-bit operating system a$$ anytime soon, My 32-bit Xp Pro is enough for the next 4 years. But i'm not going to save any money by not Upgrading to a 64-bit compatable or even a Vista w.64-bit operating mode. So might as well spend the Cash if i get it on 64-bit and the Core 2 Duo or the Quad.

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Kind Of Makes You Get a wondering twitch and start wondering "why not Just get a Core Duo" if Core Duo can perform on par with the Memrom and the Conroe E6300-E6400 I'd like to hope that i can Fit a Core Duo and a motherboard into a Case and just run that If i really want a New Gen Intel machine. The 4 Mb cache and the 4 nodes per cycle thing don't seem to be giving it any huge Advantage from the Core Duo on 3nodes at same Clock speeds

10% gain on most apps is par?? I thought non-existant performance gain Core Duo at 40% overclock over FX-60 with $300 mobo and $600 CPU was enough to make them get Core Duo, but 10% performance advantage at same clock and same price with lower power is not?? Core 2 Duo brought new era of stupidity and performance.

The price between same speeds are SAME. If you are a new laptop user, you would be STUPID to get Core Duo.

Node?? Do you know what node means?? The thing we are talking about is issue rate, not node, node is a term used in networking and such.