Tandberg 990 vs. Aethra Silverstar

Last response: in Networking
October 27, 2004 12:09:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

Dear Experts,

I am in charge of choosing the next generation of videoconferencing
group systems for my company.

We already tested Vicon 5000, Polycom VSX 7000, Aethra Silverstar,
Tandberg 990 and Sony PCS-1.

Actually I need to identify the pro's and con's of Tandberg 990
compared to the Aethra Silverstar. Does anyone have exercise with the
two systems? If yes, which system would you prefer and why?

Please, I know that many other systems have specific advantages.
However at the moment it is just a matter between Aethra and Tandberg.

Thank you for your feedback.

Achim
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 2:10:51 AM

"achim" <achim.goelz@iao.fhg.de> wrote in message
> Dear Experts,
>
> I am in charge of choosing the next generation of videoconferencing
> group systems for my company.
>
> We already tested Vicon 5000, Polycom VSX 7000, Aethra Silverstar,
> Tandberg 990 and Sony PCS-1.
>
> Actually I need to identify the pro's and con's of Tandberg 990
> compared to the Aethra Silverstar. Does anyone have exercise with the
> two systems? If yes, which system would you prefer and why?
>
> Please, I know that many other systems have specific advantages.
> However at the moment it is just a matter between Aethra and Tandberg.
>
> Thank you for your feedback.
>
> Achim

If you mean the Tandberg 990MXP, then two things are:
AAC-LD CD quality stereo audio
Both rate matching and transcoding in multipoint.
Rate matching means that you can have different speeds on the multipoint
remote ends, so each remote site can be connected at the most appropriate
speed.
Transcoding means that each site conects using the most appropriate audio
and video protocol.

Rod
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 12:52:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

> If you mean the Tandberg 990MXP, then two things are:
> AAC-LD CD quality stereo audio
> Both rate matching and transcoding in multipoint.
> Rate matching means that you can have different speeds on the multipoint
> remote ends, so each remote site can be connected at the most appropriate
> speed.
> Transcoding means that each site conects using the most appropriate audio
> and video protocol.
>
> Rod

Hello Rod,

it is in fact the 990 MXP. However, the advantages of the multipoint
features of the 990 don't count, because we running the clients
without a mcu-module. Instead, we operate a central mcu (actually it
is an mgc 25 from polycom :-)).

So would you agree that, from a technical point of view, the both
systems are more or less comparable?

If yes, what makes me choosing a Tandberg? The Company's superior
service?

Achim
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 2:11:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.videoconf (More info?)

How about Polycom VSX 7000 and Sony PCS-1?
Do you have any experienced about that video conferencing?
!