Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Aero Toggle & Disappearing Command Prompt

Last response: in Windows 7
May 11, 2011 11:04:02 AM

Okay, so I'm about one month and some change new to Win 7 Pro and seem to have two problems that continue to elude me:

1. After installing several programs, trying to mimic my XP Pro, I restarted my PC only to find, what I believe was a "Toggle" button, which allowed me to select it and see all RUNNING windows in a somewhat 3D manner. Yes, I'm using Aero. Well, it disappeard; it used to be right in the center of the taskbar.

2. For reasons beyond my imagination, the command prompt displays for a split second and then disappears. I had the same problem in XP Pro. The only way it worked then, was for me to access the command via programs>accessories. Hmm..

Assistance and or advice in this matter is appreciated. All answers that work will be be rated as "best answer" immediately. Thanx!

Best solution

a c 209 $ Windows 7
May 11, 2011 2:34:35 PM

> For reasons beyond my imagination, the command prompt displays for a split second and then disappears. I had the same problem in XP Pro. The only way it worked then, was for me to access the command via programs>accessories. Hmm..

(Sorry, can't help you with your other problem).

Are you saying that when you first log on you briefly see a command prompt window that disappears? That just means there's some program that's set to run at logon time. Have a look at your startup folder (Click "Start", type "shell:startup" in the search box and hit <enter>).

It's completely normal to have to go into the Start -> All Programs -> Accessories menu if you want to open a command prompt window - that's the way Windows is configured by default. If you want to have a permanent taskbar button for it, then go into Start -> All Programs -> Accessories, then RIGHT-click the "Command Prompt" entry and select "Pin to Taskbar".

Alternatively, you can open a Command Prompt Window by clicking "Start", typing "Cmd" into the search box and hitting <enter>.
a b $ Windows 7
May 14, 2011 4:20:33 AM

FirstTimeBuilder2011 said:
Okay, so I'm about one month and some change new to Win 7 Pro and seem to have two problems that continue to elude me:

1. After installing several programs, trying to mimic my XP Pro, I restarted my PC only to find, what I believe was a "Toggle" button, which allowed me to select it and see all RUNNING windows in a somewhat 3D manner. Yes, I'm using Aero. Well, it disappeard; it used to be right in the center of the taskbar.

2. For reasons beyond my imagination, the command prompt displays for a split second and then disappears. I had the same problem in XP Pro. The only way it worked then, was for me to access the command via programs>accessories. Hmm..

Assistance and or advice in this matter is appreciated. All answers that work will be be rated as "best answer" immediately. Thanx!

Yeah accessories
open cmd prompt as Admin
m
l
Related resources
May 14, 2011 6:34:35 AM

1: This doesn't fix the problem, but you can hold the windows key and hit tab to toggle between programs in 3d.

2: So if you go to run and type "cmd", the command prompt will open then close right away? Or are you trying execute commands directly from 'run'? It will close right away if you try to ping from run (for example).
m
l
May 23, 2011 11:38:43 PM

dmroeder said:
1: This doesn't fix the problem, but you can hold the windows key and hit tab to toggle between programs in 3d.

2: So if you go to run and type "cmd", the command prompt will open then close right away? Or are you trying execute commands directly from 'run'? It will close right away if you try to ping from run (for example).

Thanks for the help! Although I'm still lost to my first problem, I am now using your advice and typing the "cmd" at the start button. Works easy! I guess what was happening to me, was that I was using the "run" command and typing "ipconfig" - that was when the prompt would open and disappear. Not no more:}

If anyone knows how to add the nice little 3D button to the task bar again, it would be appreciated.

All replies have helped! Thanks, all!!
m
l
!