Sign in with
Your question

I have an extra GPU...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 4, 2006 12:21:35 AM

I bought a 7600gt on Ebay and for some strange reason the seller sent me a second one at no charge. Since he hasn't asked for it back I was going to sell it on Ebay but then thought I should wait for the Nvidia 590 mobo for C2D and use both cards in SLI. With the 7600gt will SLI make much of a difference? Do I need to use the SLI bridge connection? Where do I get a connector?

Thanks!!

More about : extra gpu

August 4, 2006 12:53:11 AM

Unless you need the cash I'd keep it. The sli connector will come with a new board and they are also available on ebay for about $10 (just make sure it is long enough some are specific to the board) There is a way to run them without the connector but I herd that isn't as good.
August 4, 2006 1:15:36 AM

hah sweet deal man

where did u get it =)
Related resources
August 4, 2006 1:52:32 AM

There are some nForce 570 SLI boards for the C2D which are already available.
August 4, 2006 2:13:55 AM

Quote:
There are some nForce 570 SLI boards for the C2D which are already available.

I know...but like most everyone else I am waiting for more boards and more reviews. I wasn't even thinking of Nvidia's boards but with a free 2nd GPU I changed my mind. Well, this of course depends on what the reviews say...
August 4, 2006 2:15:25 AM

keep it man. It will definately help you in the future.
August 4, 2006 2:17:06 AM

You know, you can sell those two, and get a 7900GT or X1800XT instead...
August 4, 2006 2:22:51 AM

Do you not think it would be better to send the 2nd unit back?
August 4, 2006 2:24:58 AM

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
August 4, 2006 2:30:46 AM

Quote:

Keep it. Or send it to me :twisted: (help an X600 user with no money to upgrade). I'll even pay for the shipping.
August 4, 2006 2:48:00 AM

Quote:

I'm waiting for the seller to contact me. Remember that commercial from about 25 years ago where an Eskimo in an igloo gets a fan delivered to him? The message was that if you have something sent to you at your house that you did not order, legally you can keep it.
August 4, 2006 2:49:23 AM

Quote:

I was thinking of that, too. Then I can keep my original plan of a 975x mobo.
August 4, 2006 4:57:36 AM

Stick with the nVidia mobo. There's nothing shi*ttier than no upgrade path (i.e., no SLI). A lot of people 'round here think SLI is ridiculous. Those same people have never used SLI and probably still game in 6800's or X800's.

Lemme tell you, SLI comes in real handy when u wanna run Prey at 1600x1200 w/ maximum settings and 4x FSAA.

Oh how gorgeous it looks.
August 4, 2006 5:02:41 AM

Quote:

Lemme tell you, SLI comes in real handy when u wanna run Prey at 1600x1200 w/ maximum settings and 4x FSAA.

Then again, I'm able to do that with a single X1800 :lol: 

To be honest though, there's not much point of midranged GPU SLI, which is where prozac was trying to harp on. Not many people will upgrade to it, especially in our paticular day and age with new standards and OS' on the horizon.

I'll say this though Jesse, you are right, multi GPU setups are always quite fun to play with if you have the $$. Nothing like gaming @ or higher than 1600x1200 :wink:

A little off topic bud, but that avatar is freaking hilarious :lol:  :lol: 
I about cry laughing everytime I think of it.... :lol: 
August 4, 2006 5:11:26 AM

You like the eh? I thought it might get a rise out of a few ppl.

For the record: Mel Gibson is freakin' nuts.
August 4, 2006 5:20:26 AM

For the record: Your absolutely dead on LOL.

Shame though, this might ruin his career, which is indeed a pity because (as an actor) I like him.

edit:

On a more serious note: Send me that 7600. I'll see it to it gets a nice good home, matched with a CPU of equality and a well balanced system. It might feel the poke of a # 2 pencil and burn of a soldering iron soon....but rest assured, I can make it better, stronger, faster :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
August 4, 2006 6:08:58 AM

Quote:

I DEFFINATELY agree with prozac. If you look at the interactive VGA charts, you will see that some games do not benefit AT ALL from sli. Age of Empires III, one of my favorite games, is like that. Having one or two cards doesnt give ANY difference.

If you sold them though, you could buy a card that is TWICE as expencive... and because of the way the world works, probably abaout 25% better.

To me this is a no-brainer.
August 4, 2006 6:35:27 AM

The list of games that do not benefit from SLI/XF is much smaller than the list of games that actually do benefit :idea:
August 4, 2006 11:56:18 AM

Quote:
Stick with the nVidia mobo. There's nothing shi*ttier than no upgrade path (i.e., no SLI). A lot of people 'round here think SLI is ridiculous.

I am one of those "people". I think the 7950 is paving the way of the future of dual GPu's on one card. And if I get the Nvida mobo and end up with an ATI card, then I'm stuck with a single GPU anyway. Unless I want to go through the hassle of hacking the system to allow crossfire on an SLI board.
August 4, 2006 12:04:32 PM

Before there will be top-line dual GPU card, first they have to be a reasonable price.
August 4, 2006 12:36:17 PM

Quote:
Before there will be top-line dual GPU card, first they have to be a reasonable price.

Last year how much was the top-line GPU? You can get a 7950gx2 for $499.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Every year, the top line GPU at any time has always been about $300-400.
Now you can get a dual-gpu for only $100 more.
August 4, 2006 12:42:46 PM

I think 7900GTX and X1900XT were $500 US to start. (at time of release)
August 4, 2006 1:03:57 PM

Quote:
Stick with the nVidia mobo. There's nothing shi*ttier than no upgrade path (i.e., no SLI). A lot of people 'round here think SLI is ridiculous. Those same people have never used SLI and probably still game in 6800's or X800's.

I recently bought an x1800xt, and this is the first time I've owned a non-PCI interface graphics card. After I blew out my power supply, and turned off fan control so my computer would stop restarting every few hours, I can run quake 4 maxed out, except I use 1280 x 1024 just to ensure amazing fps. I think that if you can afford it, x1800xt or 7900gt
are going to be the "best buys" right now, and you can just upgrade to sli/crossfire master card later..
August 4, 2006 1:30:16 PM

Quote:

No, unless the seller is some big nasty Russian bloke....

Then you keep it, but run awaaaaaaaaaay!
August 4, 2006 1:40:10 PM

Sell them both and buy an X1800XT or 7900GT.
August 4, 2006 2:19:19 PM

It's already been mentioned, but I also immediately thought you should sell both 7600's for a profit. Then use that money to get a better card, like a 7900GT.
August 4, 2006 2:20:54 PM

He could get at least the price of a 7900GT or an X1800XT for those.
August 4, 2006 7:58:10 PM

Quote:
The list of games that do not benefit from SLI/XF is much smaller than the list of games that actually do benefit :idea:

Yes, I know that the list is very small of games that do not benefit, but for me, it is a huge factor. The next mobo I buy will not be SLI. I would rather have one good card, that worked well on all games, then two good cards that would get a 50% performance hit while playing certain ones.

Also, I would love to get away from the nforce chipsets and get back to good old intel.

And someone else had made the comment that you would have no upgrade path. He's absolutely right. If you got one 7950, you could easily get annother when you wanted to upgrade, and you would have quad-SLI, and you really cant get much better then that :) 
August 4, 2006 8:10:24 PM

Quote:

That f*cking anti-semetic bastard.

-This coming from a Jew
August 5, 2006 1:08:14 PM

Quote:

That f*cking anti-semetic bastard.

-This coming from a Jew

Gotta hate a racist!
August 5, 2006 3:05:47 PM

You realize of course that Judism isnt a race :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
August 5, 2006 3:48:54 PM

Quote:

Techinally if your Mother is Jewish, you're part of the Jewish race. Or so i read somewhere...
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2006 3:55:52 PM

Hey man, there is absolutly nothing wrong with a good 6800GT when you don't have the money to upgrade your whole system.
August 5, 2006 4:44:58 PM

Quote:

Techinally if your Mother is Jewish, you're part of the Jewish race. Or so i read somewhere...

Judism is religon not a race...there is a difference.
August 5, 2006 4:51:11 PM

Quote:

It's always the same people saying it; sure SLI isn't always the best solution, but performance increases from adding a second card are usually quite large.
Quote:
I DEFFINATELY agree with prozac. If you look at the interactive VGA charts, you will see that some games do not benefit AT ALL from sli. Age of Empires III, one of my favorite games, is like that. Having one or two cards doesnt give ANY difference.

If you sold them though, you could buy a card that is TWICE as expencive... and because of the way the world works, probably abaout 25% better.

To me this is a no-brainer.
The interactive VGA charts are outdated and incorrect on the Age of Empires III section; adding a second GPU on the game does increase performance, and since Forceware release 90, performance has also increased greatly in SLI. If you’re going to try and prove SLI is bad, don’t use an outdated reference.
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2006 5:20:25 PM

A pretty good look at SLi/Xfire performance was done in Xbit's review;

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/nvidia-g...

Like you say there's more of a boost there.

I still don't think SLi is a wise solution in most cases, but there are many specific ones where it's a benifit and even some very rare times that it makes economic sense (2 GF7800GTs being cheaper than 1 GTX-512).
August 5, 2006 5:40:26 PM

Interesting...X-bit shows Age of Empires III running fine with antialiasing on Nvidia cards. :wink:
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2006 5:49:23 PM

Quote:
Interesting...X-bit shows Age of Empires III running fine with antialiasing on Nvidia cards. :wink:

Yes, but they don't mention HDR now do they. :p 

Really I'd like to see a good comparo like we discussed before.

But thought I'd get you something to support the SLi info.
August 5, 2006 5:59:07 PM

Quote:

If your mom is Jewish, then you're Jewish, no doubt about it. However, if your mother converted under the reform standards (there are three levels of Judiasm; reform, conservative, and orthodox, with orthodox being the most religious), then you might be considered not jewish. If you're a man who converts, then you have to be circumsized (OUCH!), which has to suck.

This is totally off topic, but I've already written it, so whatever.
August 5, 2006 6:12:15 PM

Thats card was meant for me. I got an empty box. Did you get my fx60 as well.
August 5, 2006 6:29:12 PM

Uhhh....do both cards work?
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2006 7:04:55 PM

I gotta throw in my 2 cents worth on this.

If you didn't order it and it is a mistake, you should contact the seller.

Now there is probably going to be some backlash about my opinion, but I am an honest hardworking person. If I have it, it is because I own it out-right straight and honest. I take great personal pride that NO ONE would ever question my morals or standards either personally or businesswise.

It is entirely up to you of course.
August 5, 2006 7:57:45 PM

So if you ARE gonna sell these cards, how much are they gonna cost if we bought them right now right now?
August 5, 2006 8:59:36 PM

Quote:
So if you ARE gonna sell these cards, how much are they gonna cost if we bought them right now right now?

Well, legally the extra GPU is mine. The seller was not to great with communications, and there was a CD missing and he basically said "not my issue" so I dont' feel TOO bad about keeping it. Anyway, they are on ebay, but if you wanted to buy them both right now I'd say how much you got? :wink:
August 5, 2006 9:01:10 PM

Quote:

Judism is religon not a race...there is a difference.

As a Jew I feel that it is BOTH a race and religion.
August 5, 2006 9:16:19 PM

And as a forum member I feel this isnt the place to discuss such topics.
So my bad for carrying on any further....
August 5, 2006 9:39:37 PM

Quote:

If your mom is Jewish, then you're Jewish, no doubt about it. However, if your mother converted under the reform standards (there are three levels of Judiasm; reform, conservative, and orthodox, with orthodox being the most religious), then you might be considered not jewish. If you're a man who converts, then you have to be circumsized (OUCH!), which has to suck.

This is totally off topic, but I've already written it, so whatever.

Last time I heard of a "Jewish race" was in "Mein Kampf"...
August 5, 2006 10:05:35 PM

Quote:
And as a forum member I feel this isnt the place to discuss such topics.
So my bad for carrying on any further....

Well, my OP was a question about using the 7600gt in SLI mode, and if it is worth waiting for the nVidia 590 motherboard.
August 6, 2006 10:45:57 AM

JITPublisher, I agree with you completely. It's not a free lunch - it's someone else's lunch. But, there's a caveat; it is the responsibility of the seller to pay for shipping. This guy didn't order it, and should not have to eat the charges. I once received a second SFF case with psu, and I called them and told them. The said "Okay, here's an RA number for you to ship it back to us". I told them it was their mistake, they can send me a FedEx call number, or whatever. A week later I called them again, and said the same thing. They never called back, or sent me anything. Three months later, I stoked out the SFF rig and my wife is using it to this day.
!