Sign in with
Your question

catalyst questions.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 4, 2006 12:22:43 AM

sorry guys but i've used the nvidia control center for years. i have no clue about how to use the ati catalyst control.
with the nvidia you select the game you want and add the AA and stuff. with the ati you don't have that option. say with bf2 it has an AA option within the game but not anisotropic filtering option. will the catalyst find the game and add that option to it?
i have the high quality AF checked not the let application decide.
btw what does AF do for the game?
what is catalyst AI? should i use that option? and what setting?
plus i'm not sure about the adaptive AA.. sould i use it?

plus can i use AA and AF on older games like quake 2 and 3.. i love those games..

x1900xt
512 x2 OCZ memory in duel channel
athlon 64 3200+

More about : catalyst questions

August 4, 2006 5:25:39 PM

You're best bet would be Ati Tray Tools (Guru3d.com) - you can make your own custom game profiles that loads certain AA and AF settings upon executing exe's from games. Plus it has a whole load of nice features.

As for CCC, I'd give it a wide miss. Stupid program if you ask me, they should hire Ray Adams to make GIU's for catalyst drivers.
August 4, 2006 6:45:57 PM

Quote:
the CCC is fine really. yes you can't make individual game profiles, but you can make profiles and then activate them from the icon in the systray.

high qaulity AF can give a performance hit at times but should make your standard AF(maintain's a textures appearance over distance) look better on slopes at least.

catalyst AI i am not sure about. basically it is optimisations for games i think. certain games run better with it on if they are supported by the drivers. use the CCC help to find out more.

Edit: sorry i and even more so the vokofpolisiekar are idiots. basically instead of a game activating a profile the profile activates the games. in the CCC you can set it so that when youactivate a certain profile it launches an application of you choice in this case a game.

Making your game profiles is also much easier using ATI TRAY TOOLS. Once you make your profile you are done and never have to touch it again! just click on your games Icon and play.

so all you have to do is set which driver features you want to use and then set which app you want to launch with it. you can also setup a hot key so you can launch a profile and a gmae without touching the mouse.

not bad for such a crap program eh.

Hmmmmm...... you really didnt answere his question correctly about the AF filtering. If you are going to use CCC you will need to pick a level of AF filtering in CCC, Example 4Xaf 8Xaf 16xaf. Since you have a great video card I would advise 16XAF filtering enabled with HQ AF, that is how I run BF2 with my X1900XT and it looks and runs spectacular.

AF filtering will get rid of blurry textures on the GROUND etc, the higher level filtering you choose the further out things will look crisp and clear.

Honestly CCC is a pos Compared to ATI TRAY TOOLS. Anyone like myself who has spent a considerable amount of time with both programs will tell you the same thing. ATI TRAY TOOLS does not have to access .NET FRAME WORK 2.0 like CCC does and it does not use the rediculouse amount of rescorces that CCC uses either.

ATI TRAY TOOLS will also give you the option to force Triple Buffering in DX3D games which is quite nice if you like to use vertical sync and dont want your frames being cut in half of your monitor refresh rate.

BTW leave catalyst AI on default which is set at LOW.

Really CCC is for nublets like Strangestranger. If you want any help with getting the most out of your X1900XT just PM me and I will help you out.
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
August 4, 2006 7:57:04 PM

Quote:
Anyone like myself who has spent a considerable amount of time with both programs will tell you the same thing. ATI TRAY TOOLS does not have to access .NET FRAME WORK 2.0 like CCC does

Actually it doesn't need 2.0 it needs 1.1, I usually wouldn't bother mentioning it except you say you use it a considerable amount of time. The difference between 1.1 and 2.0 (or beta 3)...

Quote:
and it does not use the rediculouse amount of rescorces that CCC uses either.

If you are familiar with using it under 2.0, then you'd know that it no longer uses anywhere near the resources it did under 1.1 (sound like a Catalyst or a .NET issue to you?), under 2.0+ it uses less resources than an instance of Firefox/IE looking at google. And really ~15MB is 'ridiculous'? Yes it uses more resources than the CP version, I have check both with Cat 6.4) but the difference is memory useage is about 5-10MB (thanks to 1 instance of CLI.exe per output) but in a rig with 1GB+ it won't matter at all.

Quote:
ATI TRAY TOOLS will also give you the option to force Triple Buffering in DX3D games

Can't check at work, but I was sure you could do that with CCC too.

Quote:
Really CCC is for nublets like Strangestranger. If you want any help with getting the most out of your X1900XT just PM me and I will help you out.

Actually CCC has alot of good uses, and when properly tweaked works very well, if still marginally slower than CP. And while you say it's just for Nublets, really the only people it makes the most difference too is those looking to get 1 bunghoiliomark more than their previous score.

The reason he should consider ATiTrayTools is for better profile management. So since he's using it anyways, adding CC to it is redundant, that's the only reason I'd chuck CCC, but CCC itself is no longer as bad a drain as it used to be under 1.1 (not even close).
August 4, 2006 8:02:10 PM

eh i looked atitool up on google and a poor guy fried his card with it..
i guess he was using the oc tool on it.. if i decide to go with the ati tool should i still keep the cc installed?
August 4, 2006 8:31:39 PM

Quote:

also if you do want to overclock the CCC has an overdrive facility.

Yeah and what a great function it is :roll: it limits your clock to 690core and 800mem plus it loosens the RAM timings which hurts performance :roll: unlike ATI TOOLS which is far better for overclocking since it does not touch the ram timings plus you can adjust the voltages, fan speed and overclock higher.

ATI TOOL is certainly not for nublets like the majority posting here, so if that guy fried his card using the tool then its his own fault, not ATI TOOLS fault.

I use ATI TOOL and have my X1900XT running at 730mhz core and 832 mem on aftermarket air cooling and let me tell you my system rips through games like no tommorow.

If you want the most out of your system with the X1900XT then the following is a must.

ATI TRAY TOOLS-to set drivers and profiles. No need for DX Tweaker with this utility.
ATI TOOLS-For overclocking.

Like I said before CCC is for Nubs like Greatape and Strangestranger who dont have the common knowledge to optimize settings and need everything handed to them like a 2 yr old.
August 4, 2006 8:33:27 PM

k, my turn to weigh in on this. Consider it another voice of reason over insanity. ;) 

ccc works fine, and don't let idiots tell you different. Grape and stranger are dead-right. You do have profile management w/ ccc, it is just different (reversed?) of other apps. Like stranger said, you set all things you want and configure the profile to launch whatever game you want w/ it. That actually gives you a nice single location (ccc) to launch all your games.

The overdrive works fine. you can't mess w/ voltage for the really serious oc's but that also stops you from frying the card if you are unsure. (and does not void any warranty that I know of)

ya, dont bother listening to ppl that flame ccc... like stranger mentioned, they never have any "real" reasons for doing it.
August 4, 2006 8:35:23 PM

Its also worth to note that my 3dmark 05 and 06 scores are significantly better when using ATI TOOL and ATI TRAY TOOLS VS CCC and its crappy ass Overclocking function.
August 4, 2006 8:36:31 PM

Quote:
k, my turn to weigh in on this. Consider it another voice of reason over insanity. ;) 

ccc works fine, and don't let idiots tell you different. Grape and stranger are dead-right. You do have profile management w/ ccc, it is just different (reversed?) of other apps. Like stranger said, you set all things you want and configure the profile to launch whatever game you want w/ it. That actually gives you a nice single location (ccc) to launch all your games.

The overdrive works fine. you can't mess w/ voltage for the really serious oc's but that also stops you from frying the card if you are unsure. (and does not void any warranty that I know of)

ya, dont bother listening to ppl that flame ccc... like stranger mentioned, they never have any "real" reasons for doing it.

Oh dear god is this whole place over run with nublets or what?! :lol: 
a b Î Nvidia
August 4, 2006 8:39:07 PM

Quote:
oh and you can't use tripple buffering for directx. like i say it is to do ith WHQL driver verification or something like that. basically microsoft has said it isn't to be included in official driver support so if ATI or nvidia want that WHQL thing they have to leave it out.

Ah ok, I thought I'd see it, but maybe that's from the ATiTrayTools, Rage3DTweak stuff. Couldn't check from work. Didn't know it was directly linked to WHQL certification, but why not make it an 'OPTION' like so many other things that don't meet WHQL standards, that's the usual owrk around, because you can add alot of unsupported tweaks, and even 'floptimizations' as long as their are optioons and they are off in default.

Quote:
there is also a program called dxtweaker which can enable it and other things and it works in tandem with CCC. the only thing is with the current version punk buster thinks it's a hack so i don't use it for online game in case other cheat prevention thinks its one. the reason is it has a wireframe option which could lead to wallhacking.

LOL yeah, one of the things I hated about CS. :evil: 

I might just dnld dxtweaker to check it out this weekend if I get some time (long weekend).
August 4, 2006 8:41:16 PM

Quote:
o.k you are a noob wo has recently posted.

Yeah because my number of post reflects my knowledge on this topic :roll:

Quote:
you can say what you like about me but the ape is one of the most knowlegdeable people concerning gfx on these forums.

If APE was one of the most knowlegdeable people here then he would not have said what he just said.

He is obviously a nub just like you who is too scared to try anything new.
August 4, 2006 8:44:48 PM

Quote:

Golly! you must be so highly intelligent that you can do literally anything w/ your system! It must get every bungholio mark possible!

Can you please-please-please teach me the way obi-wan? I must have the most out of my system b/c even though it plays every game out now w/ aplomb and no app seems to tank it I must be missing whatever you have! Help me to overcompensate for my lack! I must fill the void that I aparently have...

...I mean, it must be there because you in all your 1337n355 have told me so... thank you sir, in all your benevolance for helping me in my need. :trophy:

or not.
August 4, 2006 8:45:10 PM

You Nublets have fun with your BLOATED CCC and Overclocking function that limits your clock and Loosens your Ram timings :roll:
August 4, 2006 8:46:50 PM

Quote:

Golly! you must be so highly intelligent that you can do literally anything w/ your system! It must get every bungholio mark possible!

Can you please-please-please teach me the way obi-wan? I must have the most out of my system b/c even though it plays every game out now w/ aplomb and no app seems to tank it I must be missing whatever you have! Help me to overcompensate for my lack! I must fill the void that I aparently have...

...I mean, it must be there because you in all your 1337n355 have told me so... thank you sir, in all your benevolance for helping me in my need. :trophy:

or not.

I bet you look just like your avatar dont you? what a f'n geek you truely are.

You talk alot of Sh1t but unlike me you arent backing anything up. F'n nerd.
August 4, 2006 8:51:50 PM

:lol:  whatever you do, no matter how badly you get flamed and ripped on in this forum, don't go anywhere! Stay here and keep contributing these bits of knowledge. It is posts like yours that truly help ppl and allow future computer geeks to rise up amongst the old hands. This has totally brightened my day and lifted my outlook on life! You, sir are a gentelman and a scholar!

oh, and that avatar is me... aren't you supposed to use your own pic for that? hmm... maybe I am lacking there to I guess.
a b Î Nvidia
August 4, 2006 8:57:23 PM

Quote:

Like I said before CCC is for Nubs like Greatape and Strangestranger who dont have the common knowledge to optimize settings and need everything handed to them like a 2 yr old.

*Yawn* Whatever slider-pusher. :roll:
August 4, 2006 9:11:23 PM

Quote:
you, sir are a troll. i can tell by the fact that you haven't backed up a single thing you have said either. insulting people and saying blatantly untrue things gives it away.

Anyone who doesnt agree with you is a TROLL from what I can tell by the looks of your post :roll:

You say I have not backed anything up? LOL you guys are the Nublets who are doing nothing but talking sh1t and not backing anything up.

I gave you the reasons why ATI TRAY TOOL and ATI TOOL is better than CCC. Do i fuking have to say it all over again for you? :roll:

ATI TOOL is the better overclocker because it does not loosen ram timings like CCC plus it gives you control over voltage and fan speed unlike CCC. If you would read I already mentioned this once already. This my friend is an example of me backing up my claims, you have offered nothing of this sort for what you say. :roll:

ATI TRAY TOOLS better than CCC because its not an overbloated PIG like CCC and it has many more features to offer and is far better when it comes to setting up your games profiles. Triple Buffering in DX3D is nice regardless of what you say, only a jack@ss like your self would say otherwise. Plus their is no need for the seperate direct X tweaker utility.

There it is once again, me backing up what I say and you and your other nublet friends just flapping your jaws in the wind about nothing.
a b Î Nvidia
August 4, 2006 9:11:59 PM

Quote:

If APE was one of the most knowlegdeable people here then he would not have said what he just said.

Oh, so since I was at work looking on my Awesome Intel Extreme and couldn't check the features list in CCC versus what I have preset With ATiTrayTool, I shoulda said something different?

Is that any different from your .NET 1.1 statement, your resource statements?

Like I said, for slider pushers searching for Bungholios, like yourself, the slight bloat matters, for people like the OP it's fine and will give him easy access to features until he's comfortable enough to play with things like ATiTOOL and Rivatuner.

ATiTrayTools gives him access to better profile management which would be the only reason for him to go there now.

The problem with Bungholio brats is that they think everyone should run before they even learn to crawl. He can worry about hit |33+ Bungholios next week.
August 4, 2006 9:15:10 PM

Quote:

*Yawn* Whatever slider-pusher. :roll:

Wow way to put up a good argument GreatGrapeApe :roll: your so knowledgable :roll:
August 4, 2006 9:16:38 PM

Quote:
I gave you the reasons why ATI TRAY TOOL and ATI TOOL is better than CCC. Do i fuking have to say it all over again for you? :roll:

ATI TOOL is the better overclocker because it does not loosen ram timings like CCC plus it gives you control over voltage and fan speed unlike CCC. If you would read I already mentioned this once already. This my friend is an example of me backing up my claims, you have offered nothing of this sort for what you say. :roll:

ATI TRAY TOOLS better than CCC because its not an overbloated PIG like CCC and it has many more features to offer and is far better when it comes to setting up your games profiles. Triple Buffering in DX3D is nice regardless of what you say, only a jack@ss like your self would say otherwise. Plus their is no need for the seperate direct X tweaker utility.

There it is once again, me backing up what I say and you and your other nublet friends just flapping your jaws in the wind about nothing.

and I said that while it gives you control over voltage, the ccc does not void the warranty and you can't fry the card... this my friend is called a rebuttal. Warranty voiding is really bad especially when you have a lifetime one.

Grape already pointed out that it is not bloated, and any high end system user should know that if you actually tested/confirmed that.

no-one said triple buffering is bad, stranger just said that you cant get wqhl certs for it, which means you need 3rd party hacks to get it... that loses stability in many cases.

and frankly, you are the only one not keeping it civil here. the swearing and ranting is getting old.

grow up.
August 4, 2006 9:34:20 PM

Quote:

and I said that while it gives you control over voltage, the ccc does not void the warranty and you can't fry the card... this my friend is called a rebuttal. Warranty voiding is really bad especially when you have a lifetime one.

Deleted By Moderator - Vulgar Language

Quote:
Grape already pointed out that it is not bloated, and any high end system user should know that if you actually tested/confirmed that.

Wrong. Compared to ATI TRAY TOOLS it is bloated.
a b Î Nvidia
August 4, 2006 9:47:53 PM

Quote:

Wow way to put up a good argument GreatGrapeApe :roll: your so knowledgable :roll:

YADDA, Yadda, yadda.

Actually it was the perfect response for your juvenille prattle.

Despite all your yammering, my original statement still stands now more than ever, and pretty much predicted at that time what type of user you were;

Actually CCC has alot of good uses, and when properly tweaked works very well, if still marginally slower than CP. And while you say it's just for Nublets, really the only people it makes the most difference too is those looking to get 1 bunghoiliomark more than their previous score.

I NEVER said CCC was for heavy overclockers/tweakers, but that's not what this thread was about, and it's obvious you're unable to understand that not everyone is looking to increase their bungholios and tweak the minutia. That no matter whether you think you have mad skillz or not pushing cards near their limits can result in instability or worse, otherwise there'd be no fried systems of at XS, etc.

And if you 'learned' to OC on ATiTool, then you are a n00b son, and your lack of experience shows more in your statements than in the number of your posts, because it's not the number of posts sofar, but their quality, or lack thereof that make you look juvenille & ridiculous.
August 4, 2006 9:48:11 PM

great response... you really stuck it to me there!

ya see, how this works is that in an argument one person postulates a theory, and the next person rebutts that w/ logic. It is then up to the first to argue against that rebuttal. And by argument I mean more then just saying "you're wrong n00b!" I mean presenting logical counters to logical arguments. This is how logical arguments work man. If you cannot hold an adult conversation then perhaps you should go to the kiddie (troll) pool where the discussion is more to your taste.
August 5, 2006 12:23:06 AM

i was just sitting back eating popcorn, hell that was better than pay preview... :lol: 
August 5, 2006 4:45:04 AM

sorry, I was on vacation there for a few hours ;) 

agreed though, we are pretty much done here. :) 

@necroshine: :lol: 
a b Î Nvidia
August 5, 2006 5:38:48 PM

Quote:

If you have the balls why dont you continue your losing argument here?

Why so others don't see the A$$ you made of yourself here, where you think it's about winning and losing?

In this thread it's obvious you're the loser.

So if you feel like make new threads to reform the argument better to your limited understanding of it fine, but the rest of us have better things to do with our Saturdays than to schooll little boyz. :roll:
August 5, 2006 5:50:35 PM

Quote:

If you have the balls why dont you continue your losing argument here?

Why so others don't see the A$$ you made of yourself here, where you think it's about winning and losing?

In this thread it's obvious you're the loser.

So if you feel like make new threads to reform the argument better to your limited understanding of it fine, but the rest of us have better things to do with our Saturdays than to schooll little boyz. :roll:

Same goes for you grapeape. If you have the **** you know where to take this argument too.
a b Î Nvidia
August 5, 2006 5:55:48 PM

Oh No! A little boy with a complex challeneged me, whatever will I do? :roll:

It's a poll without a correct answer so what's the point in participating, especially on such a fine Saturday? I'll let you do you mental masterbation in the other thread.

As for being outnumbered, unlikely bud. And we all know how scientific internet polls are, so whatever the results I'll take off 1 point from the one side knowing you voted for yourself, meaning right now you're running at even money then. :twisted:
August 5, 2006 6:08:43 PM

Quote:
Oh No! A little boy with a complex challeneged me, whatever will I do? :roll:

It's a poll without a correct answer so what's the point in participating, especially on such a fine Saturday? I'll let you do you mental masterbation in the other thread.

As for being outnumbered, unlikely bud. And we all know how scientific internet polls are, so whatever the results I'll take off 1 point from the one side knowing you voted for yourself, meaning right now you're running at even money then. :twisted:

Edited by Moderator. - Use of vulgar language.
!